SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

New magazine - ChopChop

Discussion started on

MaudeStephany

I found out about this from my weekly Wooden Horse newsmagazine - ChopChop is a new magazine (and I'm quoting the nice folks at wooden horse here:)

"CHOPCHOP is a new, free 32-page quarterly magazine for 'koodies' (kids who are foodies) by cookbook author Sally Sampson, and targets kids age 5-12 years.  It premiered with a 150,000 print run distributed to pediatricians, schools, children's hospitals, and youth-based community organizations in 30 states.  Content includes cooking tips, kitchen tool how-to's, recipes, and a kid profile"

I emailed the editor asking what their submission guidelines were - they don't have any in place at this time. They are open to submissions but are a NON PAYING MARKET. Don't let that fool you though, make sure your subs are top-knotch as the editor-in-chief is none other than  Steve Slon, 20 year magazine veteran who has won awards. He has been the  Editor in Chief of AARP The Magazine, Editor in Chief of Success Magazine, and Managing Editor of Men's Health.

So, if you're thinking of subbing - here is what their front page says "ChopChop is a quarterly food magazine and website for kids aged 5-12 and their families. ChopChop’s mission is to educate kids to cook and be nutritionally literate, empower them to actively participate as health partners with their families and help establish and support better eating habits for a lifetime of good nutrition. ChopChop’s vision is to reverse and prevent childhood obesity.

The magazine is filled with nutritious, great-tasting, ethnically diverse and inexpensive recipes, as well as interesting and little-known food facts, Q&A’s and games.

150,000 copies of the first issue of ChopChop are being distributed to pediatricians, children’s hospitals, and youth-based community organizations, as well as to selected schools, farmers markets, and grocery stores.

ChopChop has a stellar Advisory Board, including 18 prominent figures from healthcare, nutrition and childhood education. "

Hope that helps folks get some of their fun food creations/articles in print!

Maude  :frog
#1 - April 13, 2010, 08:15 AM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Thanks for posting about this new magazine!

Tracy
#2 - April 15, 2010, 04:49 PM

Members: