SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

10 good middle grade historical fiction novels?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
A favorite set in Europe: CRUSADE IN JEANS

A couple of Katherine Patterson's historicals are set in China.

#31 - September 30, 2010, 09:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
For a middle grade historical with magic, I can't recommend Stephanie Burgis' Kat trilogy highly enough. The first book was just released in the UK as "The Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson: A Most Improper Magick." It's coming out in the US in a few months as "Kat, Incorrigible."

It's a seriously fun adventure through Jane Austen's England -- but with magic -- told from the PoV of a very brave and impetuous young girl.
#32 - September 30, 2010, 10:36 AM
Above World, 2/2012, Candlewick
Mirage (Book 2), 3/2013
Horizon (Book 3), 4/2014

EIGHTEEN ROSES RED is a great read and a window into life as a girl during the American Revolution that surpasses the stories put out for the American Girl doll series. It has the advantage of not being tied to a formula or merchandising.

I am also a HATTIE BIG SKY fan.
#33 - September 30, 2010, 10:45 AM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Mike Jung

It feels a bit odd to think of the 1970s as historical, but I think you gotta do it. Which means that even with the time travel element this list just has to include WHEN YOU REACH ME.
#34 - September 30, 2010, 10:41 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I really loved ESPERANZA RISING by Pam Munoz Ryan. 1930s
#35 - September 30, 2010, 11:20 PM

Champagne Supernova
Member.
Poster Plus
Can anyone recommend any novels set in Victorian England? I just read The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman but I didn't like it.
#36 - November 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
THE D'EVIL D1ARIES April 2015
HELL'S BELLES Oct 2015
Twitter: @Tatum_Flynn

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Lyddie by Katherine Paterson (not Victorian England)
#37 - November 27, 2010, 04:32 PM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

I just asked my 9 year old for her favorite historical fiction books. She said: Rolf and the Viking Bow, the Rowan Hood books and the Enola Holmes books (by the same author). She also said The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, but that's very much not current. ;)
#38 - November 29, 2010, 01:13 PM
Robin

Aud

My mother, Judy Glassman, wrote a gorgeous middle-grade novel, The Morning Glory War--World War II era in Brooklyn, NY. It was published a while back but is still in lots of libraries and half.com always has some on hand...
#39 - December 05, 2010, 09:15 AM

re: Victorian England - Joan Aiken's books are fun and are set in Victorian England, but don't take it terribly seriously.
The Baker Street Irregulars are books about boys helping Sherlock Holmes in V. England. And The Printer's Devil is a favorite of mine by Paul Bajora
#40 - December 05, 2010, 10:22 AM
Robin

Champagne Supernova
Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks Robin, yes I loved Joan Aiken as a child! Will check out the others.
#41 - December 06, 2010, 02:34 PM
THE D'EVIL D1ARIES April 2015
HELL'S BELLES Oct 2015
Twitter: @Tatum_Flynn

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Er, Joan Aiken's Wolves books are more in a Georgian setting--18th rather than 19th century, IMO. 

Not recent, but The Great Brain books are fun--early 20th century, IIRC.  And Ralph Moody's Little Britches.
#42 - December 07, 2010, 11:30 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Marissa - I'm not well read in Joan Aiken's books.  I just picked up Midwinter Nightingale because it was called a Victorian parody, and enjoyed it.
#43 - December 07, 2010, 10:17 PM
Robin

Members: