SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do you want to know what MG readers want to read?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
My sister-in-law is a 5th grade teacher at an international school in Belgium.  She was visiting over the Easter holiday and I blathered about my writing endeavors, particularly my foray into MG.  She must have shared this with her students and given them an assignment to email me with their ideas on what would make a great book.  Their email messages are hysterical and insightful.  Anyone interested in me posting them so you can see what is on the minds of MG readers from different cultures/backgrounds? 
#1 - April 30, 2010, 09:14 AM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

JMouse

I would love to see them ... post away!
#2 - April 30, 2010, 09:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm interested!
#3 - April 30, 2010, 09:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I'm changing the format of this thread to just give a summary of what the kids told me just to make sure I'm not breaking any rules about publishing kids' emails without parental permission. . .

fun and adventure books. Maybe about friends, or family.
It could be about a group of friends in a sleepover. Maybe in the sleepover something bad can happen.
Maybe the friends are home alone and something happeneds while no-one's there, or something similar.

history and fantasy in them like The Lightning Thief. book helps children learn facts about history.

pirates. set in the 1700, about women pirates sailing the seas making men tremble in fear when they hear their name. Cleopatra, Cleopatra Selene (Cleopatra's daughter), or Elizabeth the first. a women sorceress.

historical fiction or fiction based on a war or a protest for a war. adventure mystery and a lot of suspense.

There are more. . . I'll post again soon!

#4 - April 30, 2010, 10:05 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:57 AM by KDuBay »

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I want books set in the 1700, about women pirates sailing the seas making men tremble in fear when they hear their name. I would write it myself, but I have so many other ideas that I decided not to.

Does anyone else just love the heck out of this girl!! I would so love to meet her...I think SHE would make a great MG character.

thanks for posting these, Kellie. These kids are awesome!
#5 - April 30, 2010, 10:18 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:11 PM by Artemesia »
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Wait until you see the one about cheese.  I about snorted pop through my nose!
#6 - April 30, 2010, 10:30 AM

I love these.  Cool kids!  I am going to wait a little longer before I amaze people with my amazing writing, too.  ;)
#7 - April 30, 2010, 10:58 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:53 AM by Jaina »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Changed format to summarize content of emails that I received from these wonderful students!

a girl who is having issues with her friends, school and is not getting along with step dad.

I pirates, cats, dogs and cheese.  mystery and adventure.

Greek mythology and fiction. mysteries, quests, and adventures. a boy or girls that have special powers that they don’t know about. Maybe no one likes being around them because they are “weird”. Maybe after a while the boy or girl find out that they are children of gods, and that the “parents” that took care of them all those years are not their real parents, but they just found the boy or girls next to a river.

basketball fiction books, book stores don't have many books about basketball.

adventure book just like Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief because its full of dangerous adventures.

mythical creatures, especially dragons or creatures from the Greek myths.
Animals
 good vocabulary words are vulgar, obsequious or boorish.

books like Percy Jackson and the Lightning thief because it is about ancient Greek gods. include interesting hip words and funny jokes

somthing that was a big non fiction event but with like a behind the scene on ww2 or someone that did so much work but got no credit

a boy who doesnt have a great life and all of a sudden everything starts to go well and all his dreams are fufilled.  graphic novel mixed with a fiction stary next to it.

scary and have a lot of things happening.
books that goes back and fourth in time for every chapter.

books with teamwork. very important to be against racism  historical  fiction because it is true and some isn’t.

So. . . there's a fun peak into the MG audience and their wish list.  Aren't they sooo sweet??  Makes me want to live up to their hopes of what they want/need in the literature that will help form their ideas and inspirations.  I have to think of a fun way to write them back and thank them for their thoughts and well-wishes.  

Happy reading!  I hope you find some inspiring ideas from their words. . .

-Kellie

#8 - April 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:01 PM by KDuBay »

Those are just great!  "I hope all the books in the future achive some kind of medal."

You'll just have to thank them by writing a story with all of these elements in it.  Diary of a Cheesy Basketball Thief.
#9 - April 30, 2010, 11:04 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
These are awesome!

And Jaina--you've definitely hit on a bestseller. :)
#10 - April 30, 2010, 11:21 AM

JMouse

I just love S and his "vocabulary words!" These are awesome -- thanks for sharing!
#11 - April 30, 2010, 11:26 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:53 AM by Jaina »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
JMouse. . . I totally agree on S's list!  Hilarious!  Boorish is my fav from that list.  I have to use it now.
#12 - April 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:54 AM by Jaina »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Even though I didn't include the kids' last names in my original posts, I went ahead and deleted references to their first names in case anyone has concerns.  Enjoy!
#13 - April 30, 2010, 11:52 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Kellie, I edited my quote so the girl's name and most of the email is removed from there, too.

Thanks again for sharing these. Your SIL teaches a cool bunch of kids!
#14 - April 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:12 PM by Artemesia »
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Thanks, Artemesia!  As a parent, I should think about these things.  But then again, my 4 year old isn't emailing yet.  (At least not that I'm aware of. . . )
#15 - April 30, 2010, 12:43 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Love these!  The Myth of the Boorish Cheese Pirate?  The Slam-Dunk Dog?  Hmmm....so many possibilities!
#16 - April 30, 2010, 12:46 PM

MaryWitzl

I love these too, especially the Greek mythology concept and the popping in and out of different times.
#18 - May 01, 2010, 05:36 AM

Members: