SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Physics of Space Battles

Discussion started on

Bug Lee

Fascinating stuff if anyone is interested. This is a PHD candidate in Aerospace engineering talking about how battles in space might actually work

http://gizmodo.com/5426453/the-physics-of-space-battles?skyline=true&s=x

Enjoy,

Bug
#1 - December 17, 2009, 11:35 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My husband just sent this to me. Some of it is over my head, but it's so interesting!
#2 - December 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
www.annastan.com
Tween novel and picture book author

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Good one!
#3 - December 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

tandemom06

Saw a show about this on the Discovery Channel. Star Wars is much cooler without the reality check!
#4 - December 22, 2009, 04:11 AM

fallpeople

Awesome, thanks a lot!
#5 - December 23, 2009, 09:19 AM

RyanBruner

When the new (well, now off the air, but the newer) Battlestar Gallatica first came out, I loved that they really tried to make the physics of the space battles realistic compared to what had been done in past TV shows. 

But the fact is, people tend not to want a reality check when it comes to entertainment.  Include enough reality, but don't go too far, or you'll probably annoy your audience.  It needs to still be something people can relate to from personal experience...and so a gravity-based system with friction and air resistance is the reality most of us understand.
#6 - January 05, 2010, 12:43 PM

Firefly did one thing the other shows didn't have right: there was no sound in space. I'm pretty sure Battlestar had the sound of explosions, etc.
#7 - January 17, 2010, 08:20 AM
S.J. Kincaid, INSIGNIA
(July 10, 2012, Katherine Tegen Books)
http://www.sjkincaid.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
  • SCBWI PAL
Just throwing this out there...my husband is getting his PhD in Physics, focusing mostly on gravitational wave theory. If anyone has any questions while writing a sci-fi book (or anything involving physics), let me know and I'll give you his email address. He'd love to help. He has read a plethora of Sci-Fi, although the most recent book he read was Catching Fire, which doesn't have a lot of physics involved. Anyway, he is one of the many that is a little irritated by the liberal molding of physics in books and would like to help anyone out who wants to avoid that.

#8 - May 14, 2010, 06:47 AM
THE FIRE WISH, Random House Children's, 2014
THE BLIND WISH, Random House Children's, 2015
www.amberlough.com

nhatch

My daughter, a sophomore physics major, just attended the American Physics Society conference in Portland. She had a great time. One of her favorite presentations was on the physics of superheroes. Her stories about it were quite entertaining.
#9 - May 27, 2010, 06:43 PM

Members: