SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Woods

I'm slowly crawling out of a writer's block. (A very deep writer's block, by the way.) Today I wrote a little over 760 words. I'm going to write later so hopefully I'll reach the popular one-thousand-words-a-day mark.

Tomorrow my goal is to rewrite two chapters and write two thousand words.

Excited!  :excited:

--Woods
#1081 - August 26, 2011, 06:37 PM

I'm at 17,068 words and it's 1:00 a.m. I need to write more, but I can't stay awake. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be at 20k. I've never written this many words for a story in my life. Mine are usually only 600-700 words.

G'night.
#1082 - August 26, 2011, 11:00 PM

Woods

There's just so much I want to accomplish before the year is over.

(1) Write *a lot* in current YA contemporary MS. (It's going to be a big book, so I doubt I'll finish it this year.)

(2) Write the outline for my MG  contemporary.

(3) Write the first draft of the MG contemporary  in one month. (Next month, actually. Gah! I only have four more days to write the outline!) At least I (think) I have the query letter ready.

(4) Write a short story for a children's magazine.

(5) Start submitting YA urban fantasy/ sci-fi MS to agents and hopefully get signed by an agent. (Really, really hoping.)

--Woods

#1083 - August 27, 2011, 03:52 AM

I'm now at 20,300 words. It's 12:37 a.m. Jamming to Van Halen's "Feeling" on my headphones while the family sleeps and about to cry because of a scene I just wrote in my WIP. Man, I'm such a wimp. In other good news, I outlined the rest of the book, I now know how it ends and it's different than I had imagined it 3-4 days ago.

3232 words today. Tomorrow (Sunday) will probably be a very slow day.
#1084 - August 27, 2011, 10:36 PM

Brian, wll done.
I wil working before most of you guys get up and probably finish over your breakfast.
That's the theory, anyway.
#1085 - August 28, 2011, 02:55 AM

Hope it went well today for you tunderingelephants.  You were up at 455 writing.  You really want to finish your WIP.

I was contemplating doing that on Monday morning. Don't think that will happen though. I really love writing at night.

As for today, my word count is up to 23,376  = 3,076 words today.

It'd be nice to hit 30,000 on Monday. Oh, from my lips to God's ears, huh?'

I want my first draft done by Tuesday night.

#1086 - August 28, 2011, 10:24 PM

I live in Ireland, Brian.  It was probably more like 10a.m over here. 
I still want to get my work finished but ended up meeting friends yesteday which hindered me.  Hope you reach your target.
I will do some work today...hopefully.
#1087 - August 29, 2011, 02:37 AM

Dang friends.  :yuk:

I don't have to worry about tangible goodies like friends. Therefore I seem to be writing up a storm. Seeing that the longest writing I've ever done was about 1500 words, I'm amazed that at 549 p.m. I just went over the 30,000 word mark. I'm at 30,175. I had to fast forward a few chapters to get there, writing out of sequence. But I couldn't make this one chapter wait. MY MC's best friend killed herself. The friends had a special good bye ceremony at a creek they all frequented when they were younger.

I was in tears.

Here's hoping I finish tomorrow. Need 5-8000 words and will probabaly add a lot while revising. Still don't know if I know what I'm doing though. : )
#1088 - August 29, 2011, 03:50 PM

Hope you got some work done today Thunderingelephants.
#1089 - August 29, 2011, 04:13 PM

Now at 33, 656    (10, 356 today) --- I'm going to bed at 317 a.m. And all this on 3-4 hours of sleep because my son was sick.  :whiteflag:
#1090 - August 30, 2011, 01:14 AM

Woods

I--need--to--get--out--of--writer's--block.

Perhaps this song will strike creativity in my brain:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvriqdS3vsc

Ignore the name. . . it's great music!

Now let's see if I can go write at least two thousand words. . . .

--Woods
#1091 - August 30, 2011, 07:27 PM

37, 604 words now.

Getting a little mad because it seems like I'm needing to write more than I wanted to finish the story. Have six or seven chapters to go. I wanted it done tonight. I still have a huge domestic violence scene and a teen suicide to go. Not the most fun topics to write about. Especially when some of it is stuff I've tried to forget about.  : (
#1092 - August 30, 2011, 09:23 PM

41, 970 now. Dang, I need to land this plane. I think my last chapter will be about twenty words. G'night y'all.
#1093 - August 31, 2011, 10:54 PM

Woods

I'm starting my new WIP today! My goal is to have the first draft completed at the end of the month.

Hopefully by the end of today I'll have 1,500 words written. Hopefully. . .   :sigh

Brian, keep writing!

Thunderingelephants, I hope you wrote in your MS yesterday!

--Woods
#1094 - September 01, 2011, 04:58 AM

I did a little, thanks Woods.  Unfortunately, I have just arrived home from town (and my regular writing haven) and furry laptop has just sprawled himself across me.  Typing this is a challenge.  But, he's been good inspiration in the past...I can't resist that.
More writing in the afternoon...if I'm allowed.
Hope you guys don't get any distractions,
#1095 - September 01, 2011, 05:41 AM

3569 words today.

My city girl is in the country at her grandparents. Not a lot of action or meaningful dialogue. But she does break the nose of the preacher's son on Wednesday night. : ) 

Hi Woods and Thunderingelephants, good to see you writing. Hopefully the coming weekend will be productive for all of us. I'm looking forward to being finished Saturday, but I thought that was going to happen Tuesday. : )   

Why am I using : )  when there are all of these other smiles.  :clap: :grin2: :juggle :love4: :wheelchair: :flowers and one of my all time faves  :!

#1096 - September 01, 2011, 10:02 PM

Ravyn2002

Moving along... 760 words today on my MG. It felt good to finish the chapter I was working on. :deep sigh, puts feet up:

Hopefully I will complete one or two more by weekends end. You all help motivate me to keep moving forward!
#1097 - September 02, 2011, 05:52 PM

I'm at 48, 674  (3165 so far today) Will probably get another 1000 done before 2 a.m. Late 70s Journey songs are keeping me awake and inspiring me to continue. 

Good to see you writing Ravyn. Keep up the great work. I know you can completed two more this weekend.

#1098 - September 02, 2011, 10:51 PM

About 3500 words today. Getting closer to the end.
#1099 - September 03, 2011, 11:49 PM

Poster Plus
I am almost done with my final edit of my rewrite to send to my agent.  :)
#1100 - September 04, 2011, 12:27 AM

Ravyn2002

Thanks Brian H!

(Btw...Journey = my favorite band ever. :turnblue)
#1101 - September 04, 2011, 08:20 AM

Woods

Tonight I'm working on an interview, then I'm going to try to at least write 800 words in my WIP.

Tomorrow I need to write two thousand words, and rewrite _and_ post my query letter on the BB. I hope to have these tasks done by 11:00AM.

If I haven't come back and reported on this post, y'all come and chase me with this: :mob 'Kay?

Happy writing, everyone! :)

--Woods
#1102 - September 04, 2011, 06:22 PM

1700 words today. Just don't have it in me to write any more today.  Total: 53, 849

Wonky, Hope the rewrite pleases the agent.

Ravyn, Hope to see Journey, Foreigner, and Night Ranger on Sept 24th. My first concert in quite a while. : )

Woods, You'll be getting up early tomorrow huh? I've set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. I hope to get an early start too.
#1103 - September 04, 2011, 09:35 PM

Woods

I finally finished the query letter. . . . It took me almost two hours to rewrite it. I now have it posted on the BB.

Time to go write in the WIP, then on the interview. Then I need to work on a critique for someone else.

Hey, at least I'm writing!  :paper

I hope everyone else gets a chance to write today!

--Woods
#1104 - September 05, 2011, 05:54 AM

Good Job Woods.

Looks like 7150 words today for me. Now at 61,000. About three chapters left. My MC's best friend just took an overdose of sleeping pills. I'll have sweet dreams tonight  I beg my MC's forgiveness for the fate that will soon befall her best friend.  :bow:
#1105 - September 06, 2011, 04:47 AM

Woods

I understand with the first draft you're supposed to "just let the words flow," yet I seem to be critical with every word I write.

My WIP is an MG, estimated to be around 35,000 words. The chapters are short, and everything is jam packed. I'm used to writing large YA mss, not small MG books.  :sigh

So, basically,  does anyone have in tips for me to just sit down and write, write, write! Without worrying about each sentence or word?  :gaah

--Woods

#1106 - September 06, 2011, 05:20 AM

Now at 66k 

Think I should be done by now, but I have two very emotional chapters left to write and then hopefully a smooth happy landing for my MC. Well, not exactly happy, but happy as can be.
#1107 - September 06, 2011, 10:29 PM

jeffman

I have two chaps left on my YA WIP. The last one is more of a coda, so it'll go fast. The second to last is the climax. I'm knee deep in it right now. At first, I was very afraid the words would not come. I always have a lot of notes about what I think I'm going to do, and sometimes I get into my writing by expanding on the notes. Next thing I know, I'm writing scenery and dialogue, but "technically" it's still part of the notes.

So anyway, I sat down this morning and that trick really opened things up. I was also inspired to make improvements to the structure of the chapter, and now I feel more secure about the way things are wrapping up.

Confidence just leads to more confidence.

Lest anyone think I'm bragging, be aware that this MS sat half-finished and untouched on my hard drive for (drum roll) FOUR years.
#1108 - September 07, 2011, 09:42 AM

Good job Jeff. It's great to get it finished, huh?

I have one chapter left in my first ever YA. I'm getting a bit sad that I'll have to say goodbye to my MC and her love interest. I feel like they've become my friends and now I have to bid them farewell.

#1109 - September 07, 2011, 11:42 PM

First Draft:  Done
#1110 - September 08, 2011, 01:32 PM

Members: