SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 Verla :yay  I'm also so eager to see what your story turns out to be!

I'm struggling with two lines on my very short rhymer.  Does thinking about it nonstop count as working on it, even though I haven't used a computer or paper??  :eh2
#511 - September 26, 2010, 07:42 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
um, totally, Jen. thinking totally counts.  :eh2

congrats on your breakthrough, Verla!
#512 - September 26, 2010, 08:37 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Can I just tell you, Jen, that MOST of the time I spend on book-development is spent just THINKING about it? I can think for wks/months,... and when it's all thought out, the rest comes easy!  Hard part is the thinking. So absolutely it counts!   :ha
#513 - September 26, 2010, 08:55 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
HEY YOON, back to your trench!!!!!

hehe just kidding!! Nice to see you here, Salina!!!!  :love
#514 - September 26, 2010, 09:00 AM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
I'm goin'.... I'm goin'....  :snail
#515 - September 26, 2010, 09:01 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
NO, stay!!! Please, I'll give you a cookie  :cookie
#516 - September 26, 2010, 09:10 AM

@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm in fact baking chocolate chip cookies now!  Gotta stock up for the writing week, ya know.  Cyn, Salina -- you guys crack me up!   :girl
#517 - September 26, 2010, 10:12 AM

Got back into rhythm today.  First, I sat cross legged inthe lounge with a cheese grater, bowl and a huge bar of 250 gram chocolate, grinding it down to practical powder t make the truffles.  It nearly tore my arm off.
Afterwards, I went to my usual and wrote 300 words of one story before going on to revise another.
All in all, quite a productive day evenf my arm is feeling a little numb.

Truffles should be ready by Tuesday for those who want one. :star2
#518 - September 26, 2010, 12:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi everybody!

I've been in so much life upheaval lately that I haven't written much, but I've been pondering a new idea for a manuscript. Today I wrote the first 250 words or so. It went pretty well, but I'm not firm enough in my MC's voice. I'm bumping myself back to the planning phases for a few days at least.

Thunderingelephants, sign me up for a truffle when you've got one. I'm going to get going on some Snickerdoodles tomorrow between packing and unpacking.

Melissa
#519 - September 26, 2010, 07:05 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
11 pages revised so far today.  My goal is 10-15 pages a day so I can get this beast back to my editor by the end of October.
#520 - September 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Hi all! I've been gone for awhile, but I'm back.  1640 today. Passed the 5000 word mark on my novel. I love passing benchmark numbers!  :yup
#521 - September 26, 2010, 08:27 PM

jenniferfisher

I'm hoping that just being happy for all of your progress will be enough for me to overcome inertia (like, osmosis, or... something?) Whatever it takes to get started...
#522 - September 27, 2010, 09:38 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
May have made a breakthrough in my rhymer.  Let's see what Super Critiquer says!
#523 - September 27, 2010, 09:41 AM

Juvpoetess

Truffles should be ready by Tuesday for those who want one. :star2

I'll take one of those tonight, if they're ready, Thundering. It looks like I'll have 25,000 words of this WIP done sometime Thursday (Wednesday, if I really buckle down)!  :chickendance

Getting to this point has had a lot of highs and lows, but it's been worth pushing through. Thanks for the support here! :love
'Becca

#524 - September 27, 2010, 06:21 PM

mswatkins

I got nearly 30 minutes in and it felt wonderful.  I wish I had a few hours to dedicate to it, but I'll take what I can get.
#525 - September 27, 2010, 07:21 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Heard from Friend Agent tonight, who agrees with my agent that my WWII POW is fantastic, but needs to be written as a novel. This is a very large problem for me, as I am not a novelist in any sense of the word. It took me 15 years to complete my first novel, which my agent promptly informed me would never sell because it wasn't written well enough. I'm not willing to wait another 15 or 25 years to finish another novel that also won't be good enough to sell. Did I mention I. Am. NOT. A. Novelist?

I think I'm depressed. I wrote. I TRIED to write some of a "novel" for this book. I wrote 1117 words tonight. At least 1100 of them stink. Probably the other 17 stink, too, I just can't smell them because of the putrid odor of all the rest of them. I don't see any way for this to work for me.

I may end up self publishing this book as the non-fiction book I feel it needs to be. If I do, you will all be bombarded to buy it. :skull
#526 - September 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
 :hug Verla-  I hope you find a way to make this story work.  It sounds like it's really special and it's just a matter of finding the right medium to tell it.  Please, don't give up.
 :grouphug2
#527 - September 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
SILVER (Flux)
GOLD (Flux)
SPIES AND PREJUDICE (Egmont USA)

http://www.YAMuses.blogspot.com

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Oh, I won't give up, Talia. It may not end up anything like what anyone else wants it to be, but it will be what I want it to be. :moose

I've written 1600 words of the "novel" version of it so far. The first short chapter and part of chapter two. I hate it. It's lame. It's stupid. It's not good. But... it's written. We shall see.

I have a new title for it. I don't know if I like it or not, either. Everything about this feels totally WRONG. And I HATE writing long! I love writing long letters and posts... but not that long. Not long enough to be chapters in a YA novel. My chapters are more like "easy reader" length chapters.  This is NOT my forte!

(Can you tell I'm protesting?)
#528 - September 27, 2010, 10:16 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Verla, try embracing it instead of protesting! You're a brilliant writer with a fantastic idea, telling yourself you can do this gets you half way there!! Of course, the other half is doing it...but you can do it!!!  :cheerleader

And if you decide to self-publish as non-fiction...bombard away. I'll buy one!  :dollar

#529 - September 27, 2010, 10:41 PM

@cynmarko

Verla, I hope you don't end up working on this so much that you come to loathe it.  That's happened to me on so many occasions, because I see something I thought I had written well, revised it and saw it was a load of :poop.  This flat is littered with unfinished work.
But I do agree with Artemesia.  After I got my critique at the conference, I came away both happy and deflated.  My critique said it would be better as an Early Reader and I never envisaged it.
So, in essence, maybe do what I did.  Turn it around and look at it from another angle.  It could look better. :crossedfingers :goodluck

Now, back to work, Fi.  I am actually still working on that very same story and developing an amusingly horrible character.  I really do hate humans.  They are never nice! :grouphug2  Except here, naturally.
#530 - September 28, 2010, 03:28 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Verla, it might help to read (or re-read) Laura Manivong's Escaping the Tiger for inspiration. It sounds to me that this might work as a fantastic novel for middle-school age guys.

What I've been doing: learning Scrivener in hopes that it will help me better organize a messy WIP.
#531 - September 28, 2010, 08:53 AM
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:01 AM by AnneB »

Erm,
Sorry guys, I know I posted here earlier, but I have been majorly productive today. Got 300 written over my icy-cappuccino.

Oh, and two other pieces of news (which should be elsewhere). There are benefits of writing in public.  I met with another writer in the coffee shop, it was so good to talk to someone who writes children's fiction.  We only spoke because she was interested in the fact that I constantly have a pen in my hand.

I've also been asked to do a reading for Children's Book Week in a Cork junior school.  I met the headmistress last year in the same coffee shop.

Aaah, life CAN  be good sometimes. :yup
#532 - September 28, 2010, 11:15 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I now have 4,822 words in this new version of my WWII POW story. the first and second chapters, the final chapter, and the Author's Note have now been written/compiled. I should be happy, but it doesn't feel "right," yet. It doesn't feel good. And it doesn't feel like anything anyone will ever get excited about. But then, I just might be way too close to the non-fiction version of this story to be able to see the forest for the trees in this fictionalized novel form. I guess time will tell.

#533 - September 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
Verla Kay

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
You know what they say about first drafts, Verla. Just get it down, worry about making it good later. Maybe your brain just needs time to adjust to the new way you are making it think.

I'm just starting my first crack at a YA novel, and I ordered a book that was recommended by agent Mary Kole...(here's her review http://kidlit.com/2010/09/10/reading-for-writers-writing-great-books-for-young-adults/ ). I like to psyche myself up by reading so I feel prepared and confident. Maybe it's really procrastination, lol, but it helps me tackle the big stuff.
#534 - September 28, 2010, 01:18 PM

@cynmarko

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I've also been asked to do a reading for Children's Book Week in a Cork junior school.  I met the headmistress last year in the same coffee shop.

This is major, MAJOR news, Fiona! Congratulations!
#535 - September 28, 2010, 02:00 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Fiona, awesome!!!

Verla,  :hug  one word at a time.  Who knows where this road will take you?

Cyn -- OMG.  Fantastic.  My first tentative foray into novels was an MG, which seems like it might be more YA, but I'm not sure, and does it suck?  And where do I go with it?  And so on...and abandoned it.  Novels scare the pants off of me.  You go, girl.

Me, I'm polishing the rhymer.  Change a word here.  Chip.  A word there.  Chippity-chip.  It's under 100 words, so it doesn't feel like much.   :hiding  Can I post here?  At the same time, I think it's pretty good.  But good enough?  What's left to chip, to change?

I need chocolate.
#536 - September 28, 2010, 04:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yay, Verla! Keep going!   :yourock

Finally passed the 30K mark on WIP! This one has been so sloooooowwwww going.  :snail

Jenna,  :chocolate
#537 - September 28, 2010, 05:00 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL

Cyn -- OMG.  Fantastic.  My first tentative foray into novels was an MG, which seems like it might be more YA, but I'm not sure, and does it suck?  And where do I go with it?  And so on...and abandoned it.  Novels scare the pants off of me.  You go, girl.

Me, I'm polishing the rhymer.  Change a word here.  Chip.  A word there.  Chippity-chip.  It's under 100 words, so it doesn't feel like much.   :hiding  Can I post here?  At the same time, I think it's pretty good.  But good enough?  What's left to chip, to change?

I need chocolate.

Ask and you shall receive... :chocolate :chocolate :chocolate

thanks, Jen.  :love I'm excited...I've had this YA idea for a while, but I've been letting it simmer while I get my PBs ready to go. Been taking notes, odd bit of research here and there, but it's time to dive in. Can you see me shaking in my boots? I've written short stories, but nothing novel length before. It scares the pants off me, too.  :hug

And I know about chippity-chip at those PBs. When you have so few words to work with, every single word is important and has to be the absolute perfect choice. I write my drafts, then I go through and analyze every word choice. Okay, over-analyze. I think I mentioned somewhere my neurotic tendencies on another thread??? But in the end, I think my stories end up being much stronger for the effort.

And Fiona, I missed your news!! Congrats, that's awesome!!  :cheerleader
#538 - September 28, 2010, 05:04 PM
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:08 PM by Artemesia »

@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Finally passed the 30K mark on WIP!

:wow awesome, Shanny!!!
#539 - September 28, 2010, 05:05 PM

@cynmarko

500 words and part of a scene today. Not great, but it's something…
#540 - September 28, 2010, 09:33 PM

Members: