SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Glad you are progressing, Verla.

Kiperoo,
I've no choice.  I just can't do it on the computer.  Once I have creased out a character, there is always something I need to do to get it write and the amount I do in revision, I would have my index finger permanently glued to the delete key.  It's much easier with a pen!
Anyhow, probably no writing today.  John is lurking around and I have truffles to finish.

Please tuck in.  I have done them all yet, but there are stacks and stacks to coat.
Talk to you all later. :chocolate
#811 - December 02, 2010, 06:51 AM

jenniferfisher

Miss you guys soo much! Haven't been able to work on my WIP at all   :tornado
Can't wait to be back soon!
#812 - December 02, 2010, 06:55 AM

amykated

Fabulous news! After searching around on the internet for ways to recover documents--thank God for google--I was able to recover almost all my lost pages.  Only five pages were completely deleted. And they were part of a scene that I had decided was overly dramatic and needed reworked anyway. Oh happy, happy day!  :yay  So I've spent the morning rewriting that scene and am almost caught back up to where I was before the fiasco.

#813 - December 02, 2010, 08:20 AM

myriad_of_colors

Oh, thank goodness amykated! I'm so glad for you!!!  ;D
#814 - December 02, 2010, 09:04 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hurray, Amykated!
#815 - December 02, 2010, 10:12 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:yay Amy! I'm so happy you were able to retrieve most of your deleted chapters. What a huge relief!

<Dancing on the ceiling for you>  :ceilingdance
#816 - December 02, 2010, 10:55 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I'm chiming in there for you, too.  Mogster just won't leave me alone.  I'm on the PC and he's parked himself in front of the screen.  So glad I can touch type!  I managed about twenty words today.  Pathetic but it's progress.
PS: Those truffles are definitely in consuming and the kitchen is too hot (about the only place that is around here!) so get scoffing!
#817 - December 02, 2010, 11:23 AM
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:32 AM by thunderingelephants »

amykated

Thanks guys! You all are so encouraging!  :cheerleader

Thundering, twenty words is fifteen more than I managed yesterday! You were 3 times as productive as me. LOL.
#818 - December 02, 2010, 11:28 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

thought I would chime in with my progress.  I realized at one point my timeline was wrong in my story, so I have been cutting and pasting bits and pieces all over the place.  Saving this and that, putting part B where part A was and moving (eeks I am not on my own key board and this one is driving me nuts) C to D.  I think I have mishmash instead of a story right now.  But hopefully it will turn out a much better work of art.  :snork
#819 - December 02, 2010, 11:33 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Sounds like it's baby steps day for all of us. I spent the morning trying to weave together the random bits of progress I've made on my WIP idea lately. I want to do an outline before I get started in earnest with the drafting, but I'm kind of scared of the outline. I tried writing out a one-page synopsis of the plot as I now envision it. It's changed a lot since I first started. For the better, I think. The events flow pretty nicely.

But I'm not getting the voice right.

I guess I'll take it as progress. I've always sucked at getting plots right; my stories tend to list sideways instead of moving forward. I want to make sure I can get this one rolling in the right direction so it doesn't fall into the same traps that have killed all my other manuscripts. Still, it worries me that I've been working on this thing every day for two and a half months and haven't really started.

No word count today since I just wrote the same set of 3-4 paragraphs over and over in different ways.

#820 - December 02, 2010, 12:14 PM

amykated

I just put all my bits and pieces together and was stunned to discover that I've hit the 50k mark!
#821 - December 02, 2010, 01:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
You rock, Amykated!
#822 - December 02, 2010, 03:54 PM

jenniferfisher

:congratulations Lizstraw Melissa & Amykated ! Moving forward is progress, even if it is slow and steady   :grouphug2
I'm just glad I had a chance to reread a chapter last night. Tonight I may even revise and add another chapter  :lol2
#823 - December 03, 2010, 06:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Today I mostly did research for some questions I had about my WIP. No new words.
#824 - December 04, 2010, 02:33 PM

Not yet, but I'm just about to.
One bit of good news (which is OT, I know).  Was in another regular drinking establishment last night and one of the new managers took a few truffles and seemed to like them.  He's offered 15 euros for 25 sweets.  That's two and a half times the cost of making them, so I'm happy.  Still got some left if anyone wants one and making more for next weekend.
Just about wobble into town.  Check in with you later.

I know I've said it before, but the power of a cappuccino is wonderful thing! Got four hundred written and I am really progressing with this story.   :writing3  Hope to do more tomorrow.
#825 - December 05, 2010, 07:28 AM
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:37 AM by thunderingelephants »

Oooh, this is a great thread. It’s inspiring to read about people who manage to regularly pin those disobedient words onto the page.

I'm trying to finish the first draft of my WIP as quickly as possible, since my editor is going to send through the structural edit for another project any day now. Hopefully I can get this draft finished first; it's currently about 65,000 words, but slowly growing.

Today is the climactic scene, which is usually the fun part. However, it's going quite slowly, since there's a lot of exposition to weave through without descending into a cliché villain monologue (I have a very bad habit of writing those).  :shh

Good luck to everyone working on a WIP!
#826 - December 05, 2010, 06:13 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Hi all! *peeping head around the door a waving*   I've been sick and out of commission, but I know I'm feeling better when I start thinking about writing again. Spent this afternoon trying to get my head back into my novel.  I'm hoping to get back into a writing routine. Why is that so hard to do again once the routine is broken?
#827 - December 05, 2010, 07:19 PM

myriad_of_colors

Eeew I'm sorry for your being sick, Nora, but I'm glad that you're getting better! :D

Just wanted to add that I'm now on page 8 (yay for improvements!) and spent the better part of an hour arguing out my character's, well, character. Huzzah for baby steps! :cheerleader
#828 - December 06, 2010, 07:18 AM

Spent two hours meshing two conversations into one. It's still not right. I will try again tomorrow.
:yay Amy, for recovering your work!
#829 - December 06, 2010, 10:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Glad you're feeling better, Nora!

I've been procrastinating a lot lately, and I'm not sure why. I think I've been at a difficult point in my thinking. Yesterday I pecked away a little bit but didn't accomplish much. Today I worked on listing the ways I see my characters personalities' working in various situations and in response to different people in the book. I'm thinking of making note cards for each character so I'll have something physical to go to if I'm not sure how a certain character would react to some situation.
#830 - December 06, 2010, 11:23 AM

Best of luck with that, Melissa.
Wobbled my way into town again today. This crazy stigmatism is driving me gaga and I am getting some strange stares from people. I feel like walking up to them and saying "I have not been drinking".  Anyway, I did well again today.  350 words.  Then I came home and Moggy is not happy.  He doesn't like my laptop or my refill pad, it prevents cuddles.  So, I'd better shut down.
More writing tomorrow, hopefully.  My characters are devious little devils and apparently quite humorous, which considering they are humans, is rather unusual for me.  Keep up the good work! :yup
#831 - December 06, 2010, 12:43 PM

amykated

:yay for everyone who is making progress in their WIPs. I, sadly, have not been able to work on mine for days now. (sob) But! Christmas lights and the Christmas tree are up :xmastree, and almost all my shopping is done :party5--just have my husband left to buy for, and I did some holiday baking :cookie :applepie.  So I've been busy, just with other stuff. Tomorrow I hope to dive back into my story.
#832 - December 06, 2010, 08:26 PM

Hooray!
I just finished the rough draft of my current WIP! It's riddled with holes and needs some serious rewriting, but at least I've officially reached the "end" of the story.  :carrot

I hope everyone else had a productive day, and good luck with all your WIPs!
#833 - December 06, 2010, 09:00 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I've been revising a manuscript that was the first one I've ever written. I loved the setting and the characters, but came to find out the plot had almost every fantasy cliche ever imagined or written. I think I was trying to make it unique by adding every single element I could. Anyway, I was on my way to Church on Sunday, thinking about revising another manuscript, when POOF! a fully formed idea for this baby popped into my head. I am so freakin' frackin' excited, I can barely have intelligible conversations anymore. It's more than a revision, more like a rewrite of the entire plot and character motivations, but I'm 30 pages in and haven't felt this way about writing in way too long. Rediscovering the joy of why I started writing in the first place = priceless.

Raynbow  :rainbow
#834 - December 07, 2010, 08:27 AM
Twitter: @rs_gignilliat
www.rsgignilliat.com

That's wonderful Raynbow! I love it when that happens.

Today I cut a few lines, added a few lines, realized I was basically spinning my wheels, and decided to call it a day. Maybe I'll be more productive tomorrow.
#835 - December 07, 2010, 08:55 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
That's awesome, Raynbow!

I accomplished next to nothing today, and now I need to get working on other things. Aargh.
#836 - December 07, 2010, 10:40 AM

Sat in the coffee shop without my mp3 and got a crazy frenzy of writing.  Not much to you guys, but I purposely left my laptop at home and knew that if I did, I would have no excuse except to twiddle my fingers or write.  It worked really well and I wrote 310 words.  I know it's not much to you guys, but I ironed out lots and got really progressed, then put my manuscript away when I got a call from the doctor.  She diagnosed a problem I have been having lately that's been causing my fatigue and thankfully not my use of the computer, but I am turning it off anyway.  I have another visit in the morning, but tiredness is setting in and I need rest.  Hopefully I'll have more written by Thursday, and the start of some new truffles.
I'll keep you informed.  Coffee's going cold and I better drink up. John always tells me off when I don't, he makes it so I don't blame him. Keep going!
#837 - December 07, 2010, 12:58 PM

amykated

Way to go, Yellow Submarine! I'm sure that you can work that rough draft into something that shines.

Raynbow, how exciting! Nothing feels better than being really inspired and excited about your work. 

My day hasn't been as productive as I had hoped it would be.  One of my little guys woke up with a fever.  He's been uber whiny and clingy because he's feeling rotten, so I haven't been able to do much but hold him all day. I did get two and a half new pages written during his little nap.  Sometimes I feel like I am crawling towards the finish line and I have to remind myself that at least I am still moving forward.
#838 - December 07, 2010, 01:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Yay, Yellow Submarine! I love the feeling of finishing the first draft. Good luck on the revisions.

Go Raynbow! Go!

thunderingelephants - 310 words is great! Sometimes my goal is to get one, new coherent sentence on the page. Progress is progress. Glad to hear you have a diagnosis. Hopefully it comes with a remedy!

amykated - Here's hoping he feels better soon. 
#839 - December 07, 2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks Nora.
Went to doctor and discovered my problem.  Have to go the hospital tomorrow.  Didn't do any writing today because of problems with fatigue.  Will start again by the weekend.  Keep it up guys!
Haven't started yet and was out late last night (suffering terribly now).  BUT, I am just about to abandon beasties again and trot off to attempt a writing session.
#840 - December 08, 2010, 09:46 AM
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:43 AM by thunderingelephants »

Members: