SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
This thread has been great motivation for me this month! I've actually been exceeding my expectations, and ended up completing the draft of my WIP yesterday. Whew!  And I did work on it every day this month, which I think was enormously helpful in getting my momentum going for my race to the finish.

I'm going to take a break for a week or so before I go back to it for revision, and I don't plan to work on anything in particular until then (I have reading and other stuff to catch up on) but I wanted to thank everyone who has been posting here, and Verla for starting the thread! Good luck with your own WIPs!
#91 - July 12, 2010, 03:06 AM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Well, yesterday, I tried a truffle containing 15% volume beer (blame John, he bought the beer!), which killed a few brain cells, then I went in for my caffeine and killed a few more with some more.  Quite a productive Sunday afternoon for a change.  I might write some more this afternoon and come to another few strong truffles.
I am quite proud of myself, for a change.
Feel free to try a sweetie.  They are nice, honest.
#92 - July 12, 2010, 03:45 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Oh, maybe a beer truffle is what I need!  My WIP is going sloooowly.  I seem to second-guess every word of it.  It's painful.... :gaah
#93 - July 12, 2010, 09:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Slow here too. I'm revising a bit while part two is simmering. I wish I was one of those people who can slam down a first draft in no time. I sometimes feel like it would be easier to pull my own teeth than to write another word. But when I get it right, it's quite satisfying.
#94 - July 12, 2010, 09:53 AM

Looks like the truffles really mucked up my brain cells.  I didn't work at all today.  Then again,  I have two males to blame.  Moggy wouldn't leave me alone and John banned me from talking poultry (he has the day off).  And now, I am off to incerate his tonsils with an extra hot curry.  Then I am making truffles.
Maybe some writing later if I get rid of the other two.
#95 - July 12, 2010, 10:26 AM

kadje70

Did well today - stayed focused and the kiddos left me alone. Yay!
#96 - July 12, 2010, 02:19 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Two productive 90-minute sessions today. Am experimenting with tips from THE WAY WE'RE WORKING ISN'T WORKING by Tony Schwartz, and liking them so far!
#97 - July 12, 2010, 05:52 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

This is a great thread idea! Thanks, Verla.

I was in the thousand words a day thread, but now I am finished with the draft and into revisions. I tried fast drafting for the first time, so this first revision is just to dig the plot  out of all the extra junk I wrote. Still, it is harder to get motivated or feel I'm accomplishing anything without those wordcounts recorded in my planner. It's great to have a place to hold myself accountable, so I'm in--every day but Sunday.  Oh, and I did write to day. I wrote an hour and a half with several interruptions, so I'm not sure how much actual work got done.
#98 - July 12, 2010, 07:52 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I am revising.  I spent most of the day fretting about it and then I revised Chapter 1. 
#99 - July 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Tinamarie

I'm also grateful for this thread - I'm such a slow and undisciplined writer that committing to 1,000/words a day isn't realistic (yet).  Last week I met my goal of 500 words/day, 5 days/week.

I skipped last night - totally fried from my son's first birthday party.  But OK because I'd already met my 'quota'  for the week.  Back to my 500 words tonight.

This is my first time writing a novel.  What I find frustrating was that despite giving myself psychological 'permission' to write the world's worst first draft, the words are still coming out SO SLOWLY it's just painful.  I have to give myself a pep talk each time just to crawl through.  Though I derive some measure of satisfaction from showing up to the page to meet my goal of a complete (albeit hideous) first draft by the end of this year.  Desperately hoping the momentum picks up.

OK, back to  :oncomputer
#100 - July 12, 2010, 08:48 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I wrote a lot last night.  I also am at the point were I feel I should toss everything. 

Frustration is very high.

Should probably work on another WIP, but I want to finish something. 

AAARRGGHHHHHHHHH!

May try some again tonight. :banghead
#101 - July 13, 2010, 05:41 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Hang in there Tinamarie and lizstraw!

I'm still plugging away. Write a little... revise a little... percolate a lot... Write some more.  :oncomputer
#102 - July 13, 2010, 05:51 PM

I wrote today, and I finally finished the scene that I've been bogged down in all week.
#103 - July 13, 2010, 06:48 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I worked on the WIP today for the first time since July 2.

It was hard, both the sitting down and the staying down and typing. Finally I gave up and took a nap. I did much, much better after the nap.
#104 - July 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:24 PM by AnneB »

Poster Plus
Skipped yesterday after working all weekend, but got up this morning and made up for it. Not a lot of words but refined some scenes and added one important one.
#105 - July 13, 2010, 08:34 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I did a lot of note taking, but more importantly, I racked my brains over motivation and had a kick-butt breakthrough.  :smile
#106 - July 13, 2010, 09:39 PM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

jbielicki

Great job everyone!!!  :applause

I've been working on the "after work" of a nonfiction piece (bibliography and researching to get an expert review), but today I pulled out another WIP and worked  on it. It felt good to do the writing part of writing!

Jenni
#107 - July 13, 2010, 09:40 PM

Tinamarie

Sounds like everyone's been really productive!

Added 597 words to my WIP today.
#108 - July 13, 2010, 10:03 PM

I actually worked yesterday until the battery died on my laptop.  My other laptop has not been very helpful this morning.  He wouldn't move his curled up position on my knee.  I had to remove his limp body and place it beside me.  NOW I can get on with work, but I will probably find a reason not to.
Keep it up guys.
#109 - July 14, 2010, 03:55 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Lizstraw, when you get to the point in your manuscript where you feel like you are just spinning your wheels and getting nowhere and what you are writing is worthless, Linda Joy Singleton calls that, "Muddling through the middle." That's when she advises writers to "give themselves permission to write crap." And you just keep writing right on through it, no matter how bad it is. Don't worry about revising it as you go, don't worry about whether it's good or bad, just write to the end of the story anyway. Often, when you go back and look at what you wrote, you will discover it wasn't as bad as you thought it was, and if it was? That's what revisions are for. You can always take the lump of clay you wrote and mold it into something perfect later on. But until you have the entire lump of clay written, it's not possible to shape it into a salable manuscript. So just remember you are currently, "Muddling through the middle" and keep the words flowing - good, bad, or indifferent.

Happy writing!
#110 - July 14, 2010, 06:25 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
My own focus has altered slightly. I've set my WWII POW story aside to work on editor-requested revisions of my Civil War Drummer Boy book (coming out in 2012). My editor sent me the first rough sketches from the illustrator and now she wants a bunch of verses cut, and others rewritten to match his illustrations. It happens with every book! The illustrator does something especially great on some of the pages, and then the text needs to be altered to fit what he wants to draw.

I grumble a bit, because it's not easy to rewrite history and keep it true and accurate AND make the story flow perfectly and smoothly with lots of kid-interest in it, AND keep it in perfect rhyme and rhythm. But the changed text inevitably makes the books much better, so I grumble a while, then buckle down and make the changes and later, when the book turns out to be amazingly good, I'm always glad I made the changes.

So today I'm rethinking and rewriting text in a book I finished writing and sold in 2001. After so many years, it's pretty hard to get back into the story! And of course, all my research books on the civil war are at my house up in the state of Washington, and I'm down in our trailer in Yuma for the next few weeks. And of course my editor needs all the changes in text yesterday! (This business is either full stop or full speed ahead. I don't believe there's anything in between. Ever!)
#111 - July 14, 2010, 06:33 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

kadje70

Just emailed you, Liz. Hope you  :bangbreak  soon. :flowers2
#112 - July 14, 2010, 08:34 AM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I decided I need a day off and out amongst, you know, adults. It's been two long stinkin-thinkin-brain-rackin months, and it's probably just what I need.

It's off to the tavern for this wily cat.  :pinacolada
#113 - July 14, 2010, 09:06 AM
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:58 AM by Aimee Walker »
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Finished my revisions today on MG #2 and just need to get my beta readers to take a look before I pop it off to Super Agent.

I added over 8K words.  :yay
#114 - July 14, 2010, 09:30 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
200+ new words on the WIP today. Hooray for this thread!
#115 - July 14, 2010, 01:34 PM

madlibjen

I can see I'm in great company here. It's still early on in the project for me, but I'm quickly approaching the "muddle in the middle". (Thanks for that, Verla Kay.) Had a productive day yesterday, but somehow I feel that means I should "reward" myself with no slaving away today. No? Crud. Does blog posting count? Or long, chatty emails to friends?  :typing No again? Sigh. No rest for the wicked, I guess. (Or is it weary? I've heard it both ways.)
#116 - July 14, 2010, 01:46 PM

mswatkins

I have worked on mine everyday this week. This is a huge deal!!!! I was feeling down on myself yesterday but I pushed on. Today I finished another chapter and I'm feeling sooo good about it!!  :yay

This is the thread for me!
#117 - July 14, 2010, 01:58 PM

heartsandflowers

Did well yesterday  :yay, but for some reason my WIP is not speaking to me today...I think I need a little more of something today... I need to find my  :cloud9 and work from that. All today I been  :crazy with my kids home..Maybe tomorrow I will get that  :wow back and find myself doing this again  :oncomputer...Can only hope right? Until then I will be doing this today :banghead
#118 - July 14, 2010, 02:18 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I am muddling on, even made a research call that was pretty funny. 

I probably shouldn't have done that time waster thing where it tells you 'you write like' I write like the author of Lolita.  :faint :ahh

Not even close...  Why do I let myself even think about these things

I write like ME! :yay
#119 - July 14, 2010, 03:17 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

mswatkins

Does sketching pictures of your characters count as working on your WIP?   :uhuh
#120 - July 14, 2010, 06:47 PM

Members: