SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Kelly B.

Does sketching pictures of your characters count as working on your WIP?   :uhuh

I vote yes. Sounds like research to me!

I worked on my WIP while the show I'm producing was having a final dress rehearsal. Nothing like trying to type quietly in the back row of a dark theatre!
#121 - July 14, 2010, 09:27 PM

Does sketching pictures of your characters count as working on your WIP?   :uhuh
I vote yes, too.  At least you know them a little better now. I HAD intended to work this morning, but furry laptop parked himself on my electronic one which made work impossible.  I am glad I can touch type.  He is now staring at me and makes me feel guilty.
I think I will turn this off, cuddle Moggy and do some proper work this afternoon.
Hope you are more productive. :cat
Post Script: (sounds like Revisionland!)  I DID get away from the Mogster and cuddled a cappuccino.  Got 400 typed.  That will do for me.  Hope you are more productive.
#122 - July 15, 2010, 03:05 AM
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:54 AM by thunderingelephants »

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I wrote between house cleaning.

My dinning room table is completely clear of everything and even has a new table cloth on it.  :yay

Of course, now I have to pick up more debris that I spread around, but I managed a good day of writing and cleaning. :woo
#123 - July 15, 2010, 10:45 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

madlibjen

You're all making me feel guilty. What's a girl to do when she's desk-bound at work, with nothing to do because the system is down (again), but the boss is creeping around? :banghead Excuses, excuses. Msw, I've taken a leaf from your book and have been working on my character sketches (discreetly). We've all agreed that that counts, right?
#124 - July 15, 2010, 11:41 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I think any time spent working on characters, plots, research, that needs to be done for your WIP counts. 

Otherwise how could we write such  :star2 stories.

JMHO

:dr :dr :dr
#125 - July 15, 2010, 01:06 PM

Sorry, guilt not permitted unless self-induced on these boards, Madlibjen.  I am unemployed, thus I have all the time in the world and still can't manage it.
Re: character sketches etc., Mrs. Jones informed me a while back that ANYTHING is writing as long it's productive so forge ahead.  Did a little more typing before the cat crept on my laptop and I had to give up.  This has been typed on the pc which he probably take over soon enough.  Or John will boot me off.  I think he's trying to now.
More work tomorrow.
I think any time spent working on characters, plots, research, that needs to be done for your WIP counts. 

Otherwise how could we write such  :star2 stories.

JMHO

:dr :dr :dr
  I love your rationality, Liz.
#126 - July 15, 2010, 01:07 PM
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:09 PM by thunderingelephants »

I managed about 20 minutes of work yesterday--mostly smoothing out that scene I thought I'd finished. Then, today, I sat down for an hour and a half and finished the whole chapter. It's still going much to slowly if I intend to submit it for a critique at the conference I'm attending this fall.
#127 - July 15, 2010, 08:13 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I, too, managed only about 20 minutes yesterday, for a net loss of {calculating...}  67 words. But today I've already been to the grocery and supper's already marinating and I have three delicious hours with nothing to do but...  write!
#128 - July 16, 2010, 09:21 AM
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:43 AM by AnneB »

I, too, managed only about 20 minutes yesterday, for a net loss of {calculating...}  67 words. But today I've already been to the grocery and supper's already marinating and I have three delicious hours with nothing to do but...  write!
You see, this is where I (not nastily) get a little irate with you guys.  We, in Long hand land, would consider that an excellent, productive piece of work.  67 words is just over half a page and on the way to producing hand cramp.  Be proud of yourself!
Personally speaking, I have been dealing with poultry all afternoon and got 300 written.
 :chickendance  He can dance all night, but I am NOT going anywhere near him.  Till tomorrow, anyway.
#129 - July 16, 2010, 11:37 AM

I haven't even counted words...not many...but the WIP wheels are spinning and gaining speed.  At least the WIP thinking is...  :chickendance
#130 - July 16, 2010, 12:59 PM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Yay!  Thanks to some tough love from trenchies over in the July trench, I just added 700 words to my first attempt at my (what is probably the world's worst) MG.  Thanks, peeps!
#131 - July 16, 2010, 01:42 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

sigh, no work today... I am leaving town and my computer for a week.  Maybe some brilliant thoughts will come my way.
#132 - July 16, 2010, 04:15 PM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
Woohoo! I finished the first draft of my paranormal romance this week while waiting to hear from an agent. So being trenched isn't a total waste! :snoopy
#133 - July 16, 2010, 04:40 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
A little over an hour, net gain of 148 words in the text plus some work in the character files.
#134 - July 16, 2010, 08:28 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I'm not sure how long I worked because it was in bits and pieces all day, but I'm quite satisfied, so quantifiable measures don't matter. :)
#135 - July 16, 2010, 08:54 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Okay, I'm jumping in here because by week's end, I hope to join in this thread regularly.  :snoopy

I'm leaving chilly Melbourne (Australia) for ten days in warm, tropical Cairns (Northern Queensland, Australia for the uninitiated) and we've just bought a Netbook to take with us so I can write whilst on holidays. Words can't express how excited I am at this prospect since I have been snowed under with work for months and have only been able to work on my MS in fits and starts.

So I'll hopefully be doing some of this  :vacation and this   :surfer  and a whole lot of this   :typing. And what the hey, a few of these for good measure  :pinacolada :margarita :drink

I'll be sure to check in with my progress!

(sorry I've OD'd on the smilies - I'm just a bit excited)
#136 - July 17, 2010, 09:06 AM
http://sarahepsteinbooks.com/
https://twitter.com/SarahLEpstein

"Act as if it were impossible to fail." - Ashanti Proverb

I too, worked quite productively today, before being showered upon by the clouds.  I had to drag my limp, drenched body around the city whilst shopping and was then kindly served a free cappuccino (that was probably because I brought the staff truffles).
Anyway, myself and my character worked productively today, so I am quite pleased with myself.  My laptop came in handy for a change.  The furry laptop also made certain I used him when I returned home.  Or maybe he used me.  It felt good either way.
SarahE, hoping you like your :margarita :pinacolada :martini but I am more a beer person, as most of have probably guessed by now.
#137 - July 17, 2010, 12:51 PM

madlibjen

Yay! I've finally had a chance to sit down and tear into the writing. It would be the first time this week, but I'm making the most of it. Even better, the scene I'm working on is one I was dreading for some reason, but then I had one of those happy accidents where you follow a promising tangent and it pays off. Okay, enough stalling - time to get back to it.   
#138 - July 18, 2010, 03:03 PM

kadje70

Was able to work a bit this weekend - surprising since we had houseguests and a company picnic. More houseguests arrive today - but you never know. I reworked my first chapter for the upteenth time. Hope my critters like it.

Have a great writing week everyone! :flower
#139 - July 19, 2010, 05:35 AM

So I'm taking Pons advice and committing to 15 minutes a day. Sure I'll probably work longer than that but as long I get my 15 minutes I'll stay guilt free. So now with a plan I can officially join the club! Worked for half an hour so far today and got 150 words in!
#140 - July 19, 2010, 01:01 PM

Tinamarie

I fell off the wagon last week - combination of work deadline, life-force-sucking heat, and dumb household stuff just overrode my determination to write.

Was all set to get back on track with my minimum 500 words/day on the WIP when I met with my critique group today.  The good news:  they gave me incredibly helpful feedback on my outline.  The bad news:  I have a lot more planning, re-working of the plot and subplots before I can start up writing again.  Am feeling briefly paralyzed but will try to instead get excited by the possibilities and gaze at plot-point posterboards on my wall for a while.   :duh

But I suppose receiving and processing feedback from my critique buddies (I love the term "critters" that kadje70 used!) could be considered working on my WIP, right? 
#141 - July 19, 2010, 09:46 PM

Tina-Marie, I have no such excuses, unless you consider John, who was shifting around the place yesterday and Moggy who tramples on the keyboard.  Little wonder I go out to write.
Today, I will manage to get rid of them and have peace to write...in theory.
#142 - July 20, 2010, 02:52 AM

Tinamarie

Hey thunderelephants - hope you were able to get out today and work!  (just curious - is John a two-legged or four-legged creature?)
#143 - July 20, 2010, 08:27 PM

Hey thunderelephants - hope you were able to get out today and work!  (just curious - is John a two-legged or four-legged creature?)
John is definitely a two-legged fiend friend. He can just get shifty when he has nothing to do. I did get out yesterday and do some work, although, because I write in public in a favourite coffee shop, I do get strangers asking me sometimes what I am doing since I write everyday.  They always assume I am researching and get a bit of shock when I reveal what I am really doing.
I'll be working today, hassle free, I hope.
#144 - July 21, 2010, 01:22 AM

I've never posted here before but must now--- did a marathon writing session because my daughter's at sleepaway camp and I don't want to waste this opportunity---
I wrote 3,000 words and.....
I FINISHED MY FIRST DRAFT OF MY FIRST MG!
I am so happy!  :goldstar
#145 - July 21, 2010, 05:38 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hooray, Cindoh! :congratulations on finishing your first draft.

I managed to get the first nine pages of revisions typed into the computer today (along with notes to my editor explaining what I was doing with the revision of my Civil War Drummer Boy manuscript). It sounds like a lot, but actually, it's not much, considering how short my books are. :lol But since she's on vacation for a week, I still have a few days to finish it and get it emailed to her so it will be waiting for her when she gets back from her vacation. :flowers2

#146 - July 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:03 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Yay, Verla! Nine pages of revisions sounds like a ton! Good luck to you!

And I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you inspired me when I was first starting out, at my first SCBWI conference in eastern Washington about five years ago, I think. I hadn't written a word for children yet, but was so encouraged by the warm, supportive atmosphere and all I'd learned that I promptly went home and began writing.

So, thank you both for that conference and for this amazing board where I've learned so much.
#147 - July 21, 2010, 07:20 PM

Just wanted to congratulate Cindoh and Verla Kay. Yu seem to be steaming.  I got quite a bit done yesterday, plus a little revision.  Just a daft piece of information: being a long-hander can make you so lazy.  I wrote a story that took up 27 A4 pages.  Now that I am nearly finished typing it, I reckon it will only be around twelve typed pages long.  Still, I think it is nearing 3,000 words.  That's huge for me...and I am nearly finished!
#148 - July 22, 2010, 01:49 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Awww, thanks for the kind words, Cindoh. It's really wonderful to hear that one of my talks inspired someone to write for kids!

And congrats on your progress, thunderingelephants. I need to finish the revisions for my editor... she's back from her vacation and waiting for them. Yoiks!
#149 - July 22, 2010, 07:58 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Congrats Cindoh, on finishing that first draft! That's a huge accomplishment, and a wonderful feeling! And Verla, it sounds like you are steaming along!
I have been making great headway in revisionland, but this morning, bright and early my new WIP was calling to me and I wrote a quick 150 words and a few more notes in the outline before heading to my little niece's 3rd b-day party. It wasn't much, but it's given me a nice jumping-off point to dive in again, as soon as possible! :-)
#150 - July 24, 2010, 08:59 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Members: