SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Firstly, good work on my WIP today. Having four kids in school is AMAZING. Truly. Even with the 2YO still at home. And including all the time I spent cleaning the wreckage from the weekend of everyone home. (I HATE cleaning.)

Secondly, I sat down just now and spilled out a much hookier hook for a book that's done. (I'm inviting the nook and his hook cook book soon, too... :) ) I heard an author who writes fast say that she always waits to revise a book until she's written the next one. It really does give you some perspective, even if I don't write fast enough to do that all the time. The voice from the WIP has sort of bled into the dry and boring hook of the W and made it much more alive. (Now let's just hope the ms is just as interesting...)
#391 - August 31, 2010, 09:14 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I storyboarded the first half of my monster of a PB ms today, and have now managed to trim the word count down to 916!! Tomorrow after I do the second half I hope I can knock off a few more!!
#392 - August 31, 2010, 11:36 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

I'm gettin' stuff DONE!!  :grrr Finished chapter eight today and remembered that I actually really do  :love my novel! An excellent feeling indeed. :snoopy
#393 - September 01, 2010, 08:26 PM

I storyboarded the first half of my monster of a PB ms today, and have now managed to trim the word count down to 916!! Tomorrow after I do the second half I hope I can knock off a few more!!
Unfortunately, MY monsters have been stuck in the depths of my bag for two days.  I intend to let them out for air this afternoon.   I could do it now except that currenly I am in my mother's lounge and they really wouldn't like it here.  Far too quiet.  In the meantime, I'm brainstorming some gourmet food for them later.  It's a tricky one... :cookiemonster
#394 - September 02, 2010, 02:37 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
LOL Fiona, are you so used to the snoring beastie that you can't write when it's quiet? I think if all the kids were ever out of the house all at once, and there was nobody clinging to my pant legs or yelling "Mom, I'm hungry", I wouldn't know what to do with myself.   :crazy

Got a bit more of my storyboard done yesterday, hope to finish it today. I'm waiting to get back to my dummy until next week when the bigger kids go back to school.  :paint It'll be easier to paint with just two kids in the house instead of four.
#395 - September 02, 2010, 08:30 AM

@cynmarko

LOL Fiona, are you so used to the snoring beastie that you can't write when it's quiet? :yup  

The problem, Artemesia, is that we are in parallel worlds.  With you, there are people surrounding you.  With me, there's a cat & John.  Now, I am very fond of John, but I can't concentrate with him lurking around (and vice versa, as it happens).   I think if all the kids were ever out of the house all at once, and there was nobody clinging to my pant legs or yelling "Mom, I'm hungry", I wouldn't know what to do with myself.   :crazyWith kids, you can nearly always find a way to silence them.  Not so easy with a 39 year-old flatmate.
Anyway, I left the boys at home this afternoon and got around 500 done in the coffee haunt, which was full of people and they didn't bother me because I shoved my mp3 on! :music
#396 - September 02, 2010, 10:36 AM
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:39 AM by thunderingelephants »

I got jittery not typing anything, so I worked on my WIP a bit. I'm worried because it took my characters much too long to get to where they are in the story. I need to go back through the first part and cut like crazy.
#397 - September 02, 2010, 12:39 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm worried because it took my characters much too long to get to where they are in the story. I need to go back through the first part and cut like crazy.
I feel this way too, but for now my scissors are staying in the draw.  I am determined to finish before I cut again.

Good luck with your editing.
#398 - September 02, 2010, 01:32 PM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

I got jittery not typing anything, so I worked on my WIP a bit. I'm worried because it took my characters much too long to get to where they are in the story. I need to go back through the first part and cut like crazy.
:hug
I'm in exactly the same position, but my ms is not finshed yet so I am just going to leave until I can muster the energy to some revision and finish it. :gaah  It will probably happen before Christmas.
#399 - September 03, 2010, 01:47 AM

Tinamarie

Finally got back to my WIP after several days' absence due to urgent family stuff, wrote 529 words. 
#400 - September 03, 2010, 09:35 PM

Plowed through a whole chapter of the WIP today! Most of it was revision, but still felt good! :chickendance
#401 - September 04, 2010, 01:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Still chugging along over here. Crossed the 20,000-word threshold yesterday!

Nice to see everyone else chugging along too. :grouphug2
#402 - September 04, 2010, 04:57 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
wow, everyone's on fire!!  :onfire

I've been on the revision trail...research, revise. research, revise. I did do preliminary research, but I changed the location of the setting so now some of the earlier details don't fit.  :gaah
#403 - September 04, 2010, 10:24 AM

@cynmarko

Sadly, my W.I.P got put on hold because I was making truffles for a friend who's finishing a diet today and wants a treat. The only problem there is that the refrigerator started to defrost and the mixture wasn't set as much as I'd liked and they don't look great.  I don't eat them, so my guinea pig will have to try them.  Failing the guinea pig, human substitute John will probably try it.
Writing will definitely happen tomorrow because I will find a way to get rid of the males. :guns :cat :voodoo
#404 - September 04, 2010, 11:08 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
A little bit of work yesterday and some good revising today so far--we ended up spending a lot of time preparing for the hurricane that fizzled...which is fine, but dang, I could have used that time on my WIP.  :)

Off to get at least a page in before supper.
#405 - September 04, 2010, 11:10 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I opened my third WIP and found that if I rotate between the three I actually do better on my original.  I also find that I have to watch that I do not use the same words and voice in the other two. eek :-X  But it has actually helped me get motivated on finishing the first one.  YEAH  :applause
#406 - September 04, 2010, 12:09 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

How do you get rid of two annoying males who distract you?  Feline laptop crawls onto computerised one and human male never keeps quiet.  I wrote about fifty words today, then gave up in case I became to commit a horrible and gruesome crime against my nearest and possibly not-so dearest.#
Blargh over!  I'll write tomorrow.  John never follows me to town on Sundays and the cat sleeps.
#407 - September 04, 2010, 12:55 PM

Poster Plus
 :chickendance Managed 2,000 words on my WIP (YA fantasy), tipping me just over the 17,000 word mark. =)
#408 - September 04, 2010, 01:34 PM

Made it halfway through chapter ten today!! Woohoooooo! :partytime
#409 - September 04, 2010, 06:47 PM

Just started on my new MS yesterday! 1000 words complete, only 59,000 more to go! :gaah
#410 - September 05, 2010, 07:47 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It's almost time for me to pull out that new draft I wrote last week to see if it's still looking like it's got potential or if it's totally bad and I just didn't know it in the throes of excitement of a new story. Maybe Tuesday?  Today I'm helping my daughter paint floors and ceilings with Kilz paint to kill the odors of smoke and animal pee that have soaked into the subfloors and ceilings of the mobile home she's cleaning up. Tomorrow we're loading up our 1000 pound piano and taking it to one of our granddaughters who is dying to get her hands on our family heirloom. It was my grandfather's piano, was built in 1914, and is the first Wing & Son to ever be shipped to the west coast. If fully restored it would be worth probably $20,000 or more, but it would cost half of that to have it restored. It's an upright grand and still has incredibly wonderful tone even after almost 100 years. She plays piano and wants it desperately. I'm glad to have it go to someone in the family that will treasure it the way I have.

#411 - September 05, 2010, 09:27 AM
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:38 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Verla,
Where do you find to do things like write and post on the boards?
Today, I got drenched, but I went in for my brew armed with the non-furry laptop and determination (usually quite prevolent on a Sunday).  I got 500 written and discovered that my character really is a complete and utter dimwit.
Then I came home even wetter to the noisy beasties and I will put the computer to bed for the night.    Happy writing everyone else.
#412 - September 05, 2010, 11:25 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Verla, I love, love, love uprights. They sound sooooo much better than the little spinets! They are often cast aside by people who inherited them from Great Aunt Matilda, and now they're taking up room and they just want that piano gone. Glad to see that yours is so well loved (and the inlay is BEAUTIFUL!).
#413 - September 05, 2010, 01:45 PM

Poster Plus
That piano looks so beautiful, Verla!

It's so inspiring seeing everyone else chugging away at their WIPs, too. =) I added 600 words to my WIP, not a great score but I managed to work out a character's motive for behaving a certain way, hurrah!
#414 - September 05, 2010, 01:46 PM

Tinamarie

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day Weekend.

I wrote 580 more words tonight.

Not sure how the rest of the week will go, as tomorrow I need to get cracking on the pile of consulting work that's been mounting (had to deal with a family emergency last week - now resolved - that took all time and energy from doing much of anything else.  If it ain't one thing it's another).   :bricks
#415 - September 06, 2010, 10:30 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I cleaned up around my desk - shall we say cluttered and dusty.  Still managed to work on one of my WIP.  Still working on the clutter and dust.

I need a person to take care of my house and yard.  :lol2 :snork :hahaha
#416 - September 07, 2010, 01:03 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Tinamarie

Squeaked out about 350 more words tonight, did a few edits here and there.  Need to print the thing out to look at it and figure out where I'm going at this point.

Still marveling that it's September already (I know, we're seven days in already, I'm a slow adjuster to time!)
#417 - September 07, 2010, 10:28 PM

I was away yesterday, so no writing yesterday and furry laptop is preventing me from doing anything significant so I will have to abandon him and head to town.  Only 3 more days to the conference!!  I can't see myself writing much between now and then.  I can dream...
Saw my first Christmas party advertisement poster this morning.  It maddened me so much I felt like the Grinch.  I like Christmas it's only 8th of September! :mob
#418 - September 08, 2010, 07:31 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
LOL I was in a store yesterday and they had a BIG black furry spider decoration hanging from the ceiling...but it was adorned with a big red velvet bow with a bunch of mini presents hanging from it. I guess they went all out for Halloweenmas.

And I'm back to working on the dummy. Soooo close to being done, yay!
#419 - September 08, 2010, 11:31 AM

@cynmarko

Very beautiful piano, Verla! Pianos are WONDERFUL. :piano

Worked on the novel for the first time since Saturday and finished another chapter! I am an unstoppable second draft-ing maCHINE! :train
#420 - September 08, 2010, 01:12 PM

Members: