SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm doing major revisions for the next several weeks (or however how long it takes to get through the book)--overall goal is to cut 15-20K from the word count and do some major plot shifts.  Gulp.  I'm up to chapter 4, having introduced a new character that didn't exist before, and wrote ~1000 new words today.  I'm realizing I didn't know my main character as well as I thought I did, which is a little scary...but I'm optimistic these revisions will work well. 
#481 - September 20, 2010, 12:08 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Hmm, with my little 250 - 350 word stories, if I were to trash 30,000 words, I'd be at minus 85 to 120 complete books!  :lol
Perhaps Verla, but if you did trash those words, the 120 books might never be completed and what a waste that would be.  That's the handy thing about being a long-hander.  I am a cheap-skate and can't bear to throw paper away.  I have at least ten unfinished pieces, until I can be bothered to look at them again.  Might never happen, but I still won't dump them.
Anyway, I wrote one hundred words, gave up and went back to Revisionland.  It was a really pleasant visit so I came away happy.
Now, I must go and cuddle the cat.  Either that or put him in another room.  He's a noisy devil and very distructive distracting.  Good luck on your writing, everyone.  I'm going to bed soon.
#482 - September 20, 2010, 01:48 PM

Tinamarie

Hey all - after a week or two of spotty performance, finally added 560 words to the WIP tonight (for me, that's a lot)

Have resolved to make myself sit for 30 minutes (got out the timer) every weeknight after putting the baby to bed, before I lose steam completely and mindlessly surf the net or collapse with my puggies (or a good book).  I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's developing the consistent timing that I find so challenging.  Hopefully I will manage to push myself for longer periods in the near future.

Good night and good luck to everyone,
Tina
#483 - September 20, 2010, 09:14 PM

Mike Jung

I had a wretched, stressful day at work so I didn't get to write during lunch like I planned, but I hammered out 100 words or so during the 10 minutes between arriving at my daughter's preschool and going inside to pick her up. I am seriously in love with my AlphaSmart.
#484 - September 20, 2010, 09:32 PM

Tinamarie

I had a wretched, stressful day at work so I didn't get to write during lunch like I planned, but I hammered out 100 words or so during the 10 minutes between arriving at my daughter's preschool and going inside to pick her up. I am seriously in love with my AlphaSmart.

I have an Alphasmart too!  I love it.  But I've barely used it lately, as when I leave the house to work (I'm a freelance consultant - primarily grantwriting - and sometimes work better at the library than at home) I often need to bring my laptop to work on my consulting stuff, and I don't want to lug two pieces of equipment so I leave the alpha at home.

Just curious - do you use the Alphasmart only when you're out and about, or do you use it at home as well to avoid clicking online while you're working?
#485 - September 21, 2010, 03:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I worked on the WIP today and yesterday, eliminating a few hundred words and adding a few hundred more. Writing makes me sleepy these days. This is not good. :zzz
#486 - September 21, 2010, 05:52 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

No writing and I am disgusted, it won't be happening until next because I am in the wrong frame of mind.  Apologies to all Michael Buble fans, but I am being dragged accompanying my mother to a concert of his at the weekend.  That's been enough to put me off writing for the next few days.
Best of luck everyone else.
#487 - September 22, 2010, 05:28 AM

Raynbow

2000 words on Monday, 2000 on Tuesday, and 1200 already today. I've almost gotten back those 6000 I had to delete.  :snoopy I love the feeling of a manuscript that's practically writing itself. *inspired*
#488 - September 22, 2010, 07:52 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Go, Raynbow!!

I got the go-ahead from my editor on my proposed edits, so now it's full speed ahead cutting/rewriting/adding.

Alphasmarts are pretty awesome--but I've found myself using my netbook more when sitting in the orthodontist's office or whatever.
#489 - September 22, 2010, 08:09 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Mike Jung

Just curious - do you use the Alphasmart only when you're out and about, or do you use it at home as well to avoid clicking online while you're working?

I actually carry it with me everywhere, just because I know I can squeeze some productive fast-drafting into even a small slice of time, and I sometimes use it at home because I can easily write in bed with it. I've only used it for writing first draft pages so far, however, and I suspect that'll always be the case - it's just too hard to edit on it at all. That's what makes it great for doing the initial brain dump, which I then put into my laptop and edit there.
#490 - September 22, 2010, 08:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Still going over here - just passed the 35K hurdle! Sounds like the rest of you are doing great too - tons of new words, Raynbow, the go-ahead to edit, Marissa, and those few snatched minutes to write, Mike - yaaay! Speaking of, I better get back to my WIP before my girls wake up from their nap!
#491 - September 22, 2010, 01:02 PM

I had never heard of alphasmart before today, so I did a little research and they look really great.  I love the fact that when you connect it to your computer it inputs into MS Word as if you were actually typing.  What model of the alphasmart do you have, Mike?  I think I might as Santa to get me one for Christmas :smile
#492 - September 22, 2010, 01:17 PM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

Tinamarie

Have added about 600-700 words over the past few days - dribs and drabs but at least it's moving forward!  Leaving tomorrow for a get-away weekend with the hubby (our first since I became pregnant about two years ago, so we're LONG overdue).  safe to say I won't be getting any writing done, with possible exception of journaling/freewriting in my notebook.

:partytime
Hope you all have a great and productive weekend! 
#493 - September 23, 2010, 06:13 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I FINALLY HAVE SOMETHING TO POST FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER!!!!

Reworked a short rhyming PB this morning after some feedback from a very talented BBer.  Still needs polish BUT I GOT BACK TO WORK!! 

Has my mojo returned??
#494 - September 24, 2010, 07:55 AM

Raynbow

:crossedfingers I hope your mojo is back, Jenna!  :crossedfingers

I finished my rough draft last night!  :partytime :partytime :partytime
#495 - September 24, 2010, 10:24 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I've been fighting a head cold the last few days and haven't done much,  :sick2 but I did start storyboarding the third PB I have on the go. Yay for everyone's great progress!
#496 - September 24, 2010, 10:35 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Ooooh, congrats to everyone for all the accomplishments! Done, Raynbow - woo-hoo! And here's to more mojo for all.

I just noticed this morning that I had crossed the 25K-word threshold for the CYD challenge, so I'm excited I did that! But I still have to do the draft-completing. A few more weeks of working on it every day should do it!
#497 - September 24, 2010, 10:41 AM

Juvpoetess

I have a newbie question...  :cry2

Is there a typical length for a first draft, if you're writing, say, a MG book? And would that be a different number from a book for teens? I'm still fuzzy about how to define who this book is for, whether it's mid-grade or older kids.

'Becca
#498 - September 24, 2010, 12:24 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
No, not really, Becca, because everyone's drafts are different--some people might write very sketchy, skeletal first drafts, while others (like me) edit as we go and write just one draft.  And don't worry too much for now exactly how to label your book...just get it written.  A quick rule of thumb, though, is to think about the age of your main character.  Kids seem to like reading slightly up--that is, about characters a year or two older than themselves.  That might help you figure it out.  :)
#499 - September 24, 2010, 12:30 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hooray on the returning Mojo, Jenna. I just wrote some new stuff finally this week, which is a major accomplishment for me with all the stuff going on in my private life right now. (For those that know... my mother in law is improving. She's apparently adjusting finally to her new full care nursing home. This is a MAJOR step forward.)
#500 - September 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
So glad to hear that, Verla--do you think she'll be able to stay there, then?
#501 - September 24, 2010, 07:04 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Showing up again to report that I worked on the WIP, sort of; I imported it into Scrivener and am now trying to figure out how to separate out the chapters. I have spent a LOT of time with the tutorial!
#502 - September 24, 2010, 07:24 PM

Anne, let us know how Scrivener works for you.  I just visited their website and it sounds like a neat program and very reasonably priced.  I have a PC and the Windows version won't be out until 2011 so I have to wait to buy this product, but I would love to hear about your experience. 
#503 - September 24, 2010, 07:44 PM
Keep moving foward - Walt Disney

Children's Librarian, Writer

http://twitter.com/m_julian

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Marissa, yes, my mother-in-law WILL be staying where she is - at least for now. She's obviously liking it there, or she wouldn't have said she didn't want to move to the new place, even though it would mean she'd see family more frequently in the winter. I love where she is right now - a very clean, quiet and serene atmosphere with her own private room and wonderful, loving people taking care of her. The other place is good, but much noisier, as it also houses the "overflow" from the hospital for mentally deficient people - who can be very verbal a lot of the time, and she wouldn't have a private room there, either. She's used to "her own space," not having to share a room with anyone else since 1971, when her husband died. I was worried that it would be extremely hard for her to share a room with someone else after all those years of total privacy!
#504 - September 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm so glad to hear that, Verla--it sounds like staying is the right choice.  My mom's a geriatric social worker/nursing home Director of Social Services, so I've learned a lot from her.  She'd say you made the right choice too.  :)  I'm so glad that's one less thing for you to be worrying about on an immediate basis.

Oh, and yes, I've been at work on edits...just to keep a little on topic.  :)
#505 - September 25, 2010, 11:54 AM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

I came home to the Beastie Boys today and at least one of them was pleased to see me.  Moggy wouldn't allow me to peel him of my lap for at least half an hour.  I could hear his little engine purr and it felt great.  A great dose of inspiration for my W.I.P since it is based around feline fiends like him.  So, while I haven't done any actual writing of late, the thoughts are there.  All I have to do is get them done on paper and a cappuccino tomorrow will help me do just that.
Hope you are a little more productive than I have been.
Verla, I hope your mother-in-law is feeling a little more settled.
#506 - September 25, 2010, 12:24 PM

Have actually been working on ye olde WIP for the majority of the afternoon. Haven't gotten much done, but progress is progress, right?
#507 - September 25, 2010, 06:03 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I wrote more on my WWII POW story. Not only did I write more on it, but I had a MAJOR breakthrough in how this story probably needs to be told to make it:

A) alive and real for kids

B) captivating and interesting

C) smooth and coherent

D) "Just right" for publication

Now, if I can just get the parts written that need to be written to make A through D happen....

#508 - September 25, 2010, 07:36 PM
Verla Kay

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Verla, that's great. I have wondered for months how you make a POW story kid-friendly. I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together.

I finally figured out the basics of Scrivener. Had a bit of trouble downloading the video tutorials, which didn't help! But the main problem (for Michelle J and anybody else who's interested) is that I missed the connection between Inspector and the synopsis cards. It finally clicked about an hour ago. Duh.
#509 - September 25, 2010, 08:25 PM

Glad you got Scrivener figured out, AnneB! It's SUCH a fabulous writing tool!
#510 - September 25, 2010, 11:18 PM

Members: