SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

One of these days, I might consider  :voodoo-ing John and the mogster  :cat .  Maybe then I could find some time to write.
Until then, I can think about it.  Maybe I can do it tomorrow.  I usually abandon both of them on Sundays.  By the way, Verla, this "think-writing" has been productive.  Now, if I can get it down on paper, I'll be happy.
Noisy water pipes and an annoying Miaarghing cat have prevented me this morning.  Can't wait until this afternoon.  I'll be alone in the coffee shop where it is relatively quiet and the Beasty Boys are at home.  Peace.
I am DETERMINED to work this afternoon.
#601 - October 09, 2010, 05:33 AM
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:20 AM by thunderingelephants »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hope you got some good productive writing-time, Fiona!

I had such a great writing day. I got to escape to a cafe while the girls were in their nap, and I wrote over a thousand new words, aaah. OK ... so ... full disclosure ... I also ended up throwing out about 800 (basically totally re-writing half of a chapter), but I did end up with almost 200 new words net. :-)

#602 - October 10, 2010, 04:08 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
A quote for you, Kiperoo, from Verla Kay:

"Sometimes the words we throw out are the most important writing we can do for our stories."

#603 - October 10, 2010, 07:37 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I did it!!
Annoying males left at home and a quiet coffee shop meant I could at least think about my work.  Maybe got three hundred, I didn't count. But I'll take it, I used ink, that's an achievement of sorts.
#604 - October 11, 2010, 03:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
A quote for you, Kiperoo, from Verla Kay:
"Sometimes the words we throw out are the most important writing we can do for our stories."

Thanks, Verla! I needed that.  :smile
#605 - October 11, 2010, 05:03 AM

Poster Plus
Written just over 1,000 words today, tipping me just past the 18K mark total for the book.  :tigger Feel I'm really getting into this now; 18K is serious committment.
#606 - October 11, 2010, 10:19 AM

mcg0625

Inspirational quote currently in the little note holder on my desk:  "I can fix anything except a blank page"  (that was Nora Roberts, btw).

Hello, all.  I'm pretty new here, despite the fact that I've been on the boards for over a year now.  In general, I don't post a lot because I usually don't think I have anything useful to add. 

That is going to end, however, because I've been in a holding pattern on my new novel (despite having a spectacular critique partner -- love you, Just Jodi) and I need some inspiration.  I thought that my BB friends would be just the trick.

So I've taken the quote Marissa left for us to heart.  I've written 893 words so far today, and it's only 1:30!  Yay!

And Emily -- 18,000 words is a SERIOUS commitment.  Congratulations.  Soon you'll be married to it.  :flower
#607 - October 11, 2010, 10:28 AM

Tinamarie

Started a new chapter today, got down about 450 words!  Though the word count is low, felt good to finally push myself into the next scene after chewing on it in my head for a while.

Hey Emily G - I also just passed the 18,000 word mark as well!  YAY for us both, wishing you well as you continue  :smile

I'm guesstimating that I have about 10-15,000 words to go.  As a former co-worker of mine used to say:  "Onward and sideways!"   :horse
#608 - October 11, 2010, 05:38 PM

Made a bit of progress on the elusive Chapter 15 today. Nursing a horrid sore throat and not feeling too well, so I feel like that little bit of progress is an impressive feat! :feelbad
#609 - October 11, 2010, 09:03 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hope you feel better, Joanna!

I finally worked on my WIP today. 2,500 words. I have one very chatty character and she just had a lot to say today.  :smile
#610 - October 11, 2010, 09:50 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Thanks, Shanny. And WOW, congrats on your progress! :applause
#611 - October 11, 2010, 10:25 PM

:banghead    Ended up here again this morning.
This afternoon was no better so I went off to the chocolate and bought 2.5kg of chocolate. It feels like a tonne!  So, I will be preoccupied tonight, grating one miserly block and tomorrow I visit my mother.
Bring on Thursday!
Slight revision: got some writing done, after all.  Grated one block of chocolate and made one truffle mix.  Sweaties sweeties should be ready Thursday.
#612 - October 12, 2010, 03:27 AM
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:29 PM by thunderingelephants »

I worked on my WIP again today. It's really coming together just as I'm about to set it aside. I'm trying to jot down as many notes as possible. I hope I can rebuild this excitement when I pick it up again after the requested revisions on the other manuscript are over.
#613 - October 12, 2010, 11:25 AM

I think I might have finally wrangled chapter 15 into submission!! :chickendance
#614 - October 12, 2010, 08:26 PM

At my mother's and feeling severely opressed and depressed.  Missing my pen.

Back home to get my priorities in order: rolls chocolate truffles, cuddle the cat and head into town for a paper and ink session.
#615 - October 13, 2010, 07:27 AM
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:20 AM by thunderingelephants »

Poster Plus
After putting my WIP away a month ago out of frustration, I pulled it out this weekend and went through the whole thing (22,000 words) making plot changes. It was the right thing to do, because this morning I got up early and added a new chapter with a cliff hanger ending. It feels great to be fired up about it again! :carrot
#616 - October 13, 2010, 10:46 AM
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:48 AM by Cathie »
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

I received a critique today and jotted down a couple of ideas. Does that count?
#617 - October 14, 2010, 10:11 AM

I received a critique today and jotted down a couple of ideas. Does that count?
I reckon so.  I do it all of the time.
Made lots and lots of truffles.  PLEASE scoff them, there's way too many for me and John.
As a comparison, I bought some from a reputable shop.  I think mine tasted better. :footmouth  Feel like a big-head, but it's true.
#618 - October 14, 2010, 11:28 AM

More work this morning. Cats, cats and more cats.
By the way, is it me or does my Moggy look extremely arrogant in my avatar picture?  I must be going mad... :gaah
#619 - October 15, 2010, 06:24 AM

I started revisions today. After staring at the computer screen for half an hour, I finally plunged in and revised the prologue. As soon as I finished, I checked my email and found a follow up email suggesting the story might be stronger if I lose the prologue altogether. Oh well. This weekend is horrendously busy, so I guess I'll try again next week.
#620 - October 15, 2010, 11:26 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Revisions in progress...done through page 135!  Only roughly 200 to go... (sigh).
#621 - October 15, 2010, 01:53 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Wow, that's fantastic, Marissa!

I just passed page 100 of rewriting to match my synopsis (eep!), and crossed 44K total words. Still have another 50 pages or so of already-written stuff to revise, plus a few more new thousand words to get down - almost there!
#622 - October 15, 2010, 02:21 PM

My laptop modem is not working so I am relying on this horrible PC (which I've had to hijack from John).  Moggy just pressed his paw on the printer, so now I have illegible stuff spurting out of it. 
There are no "paws free" areas in this place.  One reason why I know I go out to write.
Can't wait until tomorrow when I know I'll be able to trot into town and have some writing time to myself.  Hopefully my laptop will be back working too.
#623 - October 16, 2010, 04:12 AM

mswatkins

Ugh. Life strikes again. I try to work on my WIP, but I'm just not finding the time right now.

Here's to making time!!!  

But I have been writing loads. Just not on my WIP, or at least my preferred WIP. lately I've been working on an English paper. Does that count?
#624 - October 16, 2010, 07:48 PM
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:51 PM by msw »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I haven't been posting here lately, but I have been writing. I'm 1/2 way finished with a major revision. Hoping to start submitting in January!  :carrot
#625 - October 16, 2010, 08:02 PM

That chapter I thought I'd wrangled into submission? Yeah. Not wrangled. :gaah On the plus side, I successfully got over my cold, so at least my brain is functioning normally again (well normally might not be the right term :) ).
#626 - October 16, 2010, 11:29 PM

My laptop's taken a trip to hospital and I don't know how long I'll be without it.  Looks like I'm back to pen and paper for the foreseeable.  :fury Never mind, I am used to it, after all.  But first, I must go to my regular drinking establishment and drop off the truffles I was supposed to deliver last night. :banghead
#627 - October 17, 2010, 05:46 AM

I threw out my prologue and redid a scene in the first chapter. Then I read through it and rewrote it into something I liked much better...and that is all the time I have to write today. I am revising, so I can't really tell output from the wordcount, but I am on page 7 with 300 more to go.
#628 - October 18, 2010, 11:13 AM
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:45 PM by Michelle DP »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Up to page 152 and the end of chapter 10.  Keep going, everyone!
#629 - October 18, 2010, 11:59 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Go everybody, go! You can doooooo it! :cheerleader :cheerleader :cheerleader

I FINALLY finished Chapter 14 and I think it turned out really well! :chickendance
#630 - October 18, 2010, 06:49 PM

Members: