SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I kicked out two chapters today! Here's hoping this draft will be finished by mid-December (or sooner!).
#631 - October 18, 2010, 07:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Oooh, I like to see you cheerleaders here! I am keeping up! OK, so I cut a whole chapter first thing this morning - close to 2500 words that just had to go, but then I took a pass through my chapters v. outline and got myself down and organized to attack the ones that need new text, and wound up with close to 800 new words where they needed to go.

Hope we will all finish around the same time and can have a huge virtual glass of champagne.  :grouphug2
#632 - October 18, 2010, 07:34 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Cutting counts, Kip.  I've lopped off about 8K words so far, and plan to prune away another 5-10.  This book was waaaaay too long, and will be much better for the weight loss regimen it's on.  :) 
#633 - October 18, 2010, 08:01 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I am officially out of the revision trench (for the moment) and back in this one. Only 380 words, but it's something. Yay! It's so nice to write with abandon! Although--it's a bit like moving, too. You know what it was like moving all that stuff out of your last house, and so you eye everything you bring into the new house. Do you really want it there? Really really? Because if you ever have to move again...

Maybe some internal editing might be a good thing at this point...
#634 - October 18, 2010, 09:33 PM

As much as I love my pen, even we longhanders need our computers sometimes.  I miss my laptop and since Moggy has no keyboard, I am lost.  Taking said laptop to the hospital today.  Otherwise, it's back to the pen and paper.  Or I boot John off the PC.
Posted off three stories to a school in the hope of doing a reading. :crossedfingers
Of course, now I have a problem, because furry laptop is lieing on laptop bag and won't shift!  Very hard to see him and nearly took him with me.
#635 - October 19, 2010, 02:22 AM
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:26 AM by thunderingelephants »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Reached the 13,000 mark tonight. Feel like I'm making progress -finally!
#636 - October 19, 2010, 09:05 PM

I haven't posted here, because all the work I've been doing on my WIP for the last few months has felt like busy-work or cheating (absolutely not progress being made type of thing).

So, I've put aside that WIP (yet again) and started working on the other story that has been nagging at me for awhile now. And I did some major work in the right direction! I've got an overall outline with plot points, characters who develop and change, twists to the ending . . .  AND if feels soooooo GOOOD!

Since I'm a major outliner, it feels good to have this one taking shape. Once I'm at a good place with this outline, I'll go back to the other WIP and work on it. Then, when that one reaches the stage where it needs to sit on a shelf for awhile, I'll shift back to this one.

This may sound very rambly (sheesh), but I work best going back and forth between two projects -- one in the writing stage, the other in the outlining stage; then one in the revisions stage and the other in writing.

The whole thing makes me feel a bit like this, :crazy but I get things done!  :crazy :crazy
#637 - October 20, 2010, 07:42 AM
http://debifaulkner.blogspot.com/

Summoning, a YA novel
Murphy's Law, a MG novel
LilyPad Princess, for 7-9 year olds
WereWhat?, coming August 20

I worked on my revisions today and yesterday. It's slow going, and I'm still in Chapter One, but I did work. I also figured out how to solve one of the issue's I need to solve. :chesirecat :chesirecat
#638 - October 20, 2010, 11:40 AM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I added 2K today after cracking the 20K barrier yesterday, so I'm firmly in the middle and sailing smoothly. That felt really, really good. I have a few projects that stalled out around 15, so I know that's my wall to break down and I -->  :bangbreak
#639 - October 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Plowed through another chapter today!! I am unstoppable. RAWRRR!! :grrr
#640 - October 20, 2010, 10:23 PM

Plowed through another chapter today!! I am unstoppable. RAWRRR!! :grrr
:envy
#641 - October 21, 2010, 02:22 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Aw, Fiona, you'll have your day! Is your laptop all better?

And great work, Joanna!!

I've just had two 1K-plus days - over 45K now in spite of chopping my 2.5K the other day. Almost there ... within ... reach ...
#642 - October 21, 2010, 05:12 AM

Aw, Fiona, you'll have your day! Is your laptop all better?
Yippee!  Yes, it is.  My beloved FRIEND, John (people are always getting that one wrong!), fiddled around with a few buttons, reinstalled a program.  It saved me a fortune.  Probably half the cost of the laptop.
And great work, Joanna!!

I've just had two 1K-plus days - over 45K now in spite of chopping my 2.5K the other day. Almost there ... within ... reach ...
Can't wait until Sunday.  I leave the Beastie Boys (John and the cat to anyone else) at home and go to my coffee shop haven for some writing.  My character and I have some issues to sort out.
Happy writing, everyone.
#643 - October 21, 2010, 05:52 AM

I only managed to advance another two paragraphs from where I was yesterday, but I always knew this first part was going to be the hardest to revise.
#644 - October 21, 2010, 09:42 AM

:hug , thundering! You can do it!

Way to go, kiperoo!!

:goodluck Michelle!!
#645 - October 21, 2010, 10:58 AM

ncmurphy

:oncomputer  Working the words...making them fit and mold into the pages.  Squeezing, tugging and pulling.   :oncomputer
#646 - October 21, 2010, 05:56 PM

I managed to plow through six whole pages today! I am done with Chapter 1 and I have found my way out of where I was stuck.  :chesirecat :chesirecat

Now I am off to find a My Daughter Is Being Evil thread. Isn't it ironic that the very things that make tweens so fun to write about make them impossible to live with?
#647 - October 25, 2010, 04:35 PM

What a great thread!  How have I not seen this before??   :eh2

I just started a new project last month, and am making good progress.  I wrote the first two chapters, and then had no idea where to go from there.  So I spent today going through the details of the novel, the high-level view of how my characters are going to get from A to B to C and so on.  Tomorrow I'm going to turn that into an outline, and then I'm going to write chapter 3!!   :typing

It's so great to see everyone making progress!  Very inspiring.  :)

Tabitha
#648 - October 25, 2010, 05:55 PM

jenniferfisher

Is there room in here for me? I am 4k words into an MG novel, and going.. um.. strong-ish?
I'm new to this genre and after 4 chapters of let's-just-write-and-see-where-I-end-up, I decided to do an outline. Ta-Da! Book officially plotted out. Now I just have to fill in the thousands of words   :dr
#649 - October 25, 2010, 06:27 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
There's room. There's always room in here!
#650 - October 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Finished chapter 18 today! Haven't gotten much done since Thursday, so it was good to make some progress again.

Cheering for everyone else!! Keep up the good work! :cheerleader :chickendance :cheerleader :chickendance
#651 - October 25, 2010, 11:52 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I haven't posted here for a while, but I have been working. Finished the first color sample for the dummy!!! 2 color samples and 3 pencil sketches left...and then I'm sending that baby out!! Kinda scary... :o

And yay  :cheerleader for everyone else's progress!!
#652 - October 26, 2010, 12:05 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
I've popped in here from Revisionland. Just sent revisions off on a middle-grade and want to get started on a new chapter book before the revisions come back for more work. My goal is to have a good draft by the end of November. It's a 9000-ish word book, so that seems manageable, but I typically write about 5x more than makes it into the end product, so...
#653 - October 26, 2010, 01:40 AM

Busy coffee shop yesterday, in the middle of a bank-holiday torrent. The place was jammed full of "jazzers" and little children.  Jazz did nothing, but got chatting to a few kids who said some crazy things and sent me diving me for my pen.
Unfortunately, I didn't have paper, but the thoughts were there.  That counts...doesn't it? :eh2
#654 - October 26, 2010, 02:38 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thinking definitely counts, Fiona! I can sometimes work out someplace where I've been completely stuck while in the playground with my kiddies or on a walk.

It is great to see the progress here! Chapter 18, Joanna, wow! And nice to see some new faces too.

I am aiming to finish my draft this week. Got almost a thousand new words yesterday, and I have 2 or 3 new scenes to write, and then I should be wrapping it up. Then it's onto Revisionland for November ...

Go, go, everyone! :grouphug2
#655 - October 26, 2010, 05:04 AM

Just sort of went over what I did yesterday and polished it a little more, but I did work on my project. Tomorrow i might with my crtique group during my writing time, but I'm hoping to make some progress on Thursday.
#656 - October 26, 2010, 09:59 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I haven't posted here for a while, but I have been working. Finished the first color sample for the dummy!!! 2 color samples and 3 pencil sketches left...and then I'm sending that baby out!! Kinda scary... :o

Go, Cyn, go!!!! :cheerleader :cheerleader :cheerleader
#657 - October 26, 2010, 12:13 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
thanks, Jen!! I'm trying...but OMG finishing is a little scary! Once it's finished there's no excuse not to start querying...  :ahh
#658 - October 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

jenniferfisher

Checking in to say  :yay to everybody! No writing for me today, sore throat is sending me straight to bed from here. But I have the chapter ready to go in my head  :yup
I'll materialize it tomorrow when I'm feeling better!
#659 - October 26, 2010, 06:10 PM

Feel better soon, HappyCamper! Sore throats are no fun. :hug

A huge WOOT for almost finishing, Artemesia!! :chickendance

I just finished Chapter 20, which is AWESOME. Getting into the reaaaaalllly juicy intense bits. :oncomputer
#660 - October 26, 2010, 11:55 PM

Members: