I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
thanks, Joanna!! And a HUGE WOOT back to you for Chap 20!!!

feel better, HappyCamper!!
#661 - October 27, 2010, 08:46 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Artemesia, are you done-done with your WIP? Nice!

I am almost done with my draft (done, but not done-done, heh heh). I got in a bunch new words the past two days in spite of an annoying fever that is still hanging on. I think I can power through over the next 3 days to finish up the last scenes I still need though. That light at the end of the tunnel is a powerful thing.

How many chapters are you looking at Joanna? 20 sure is pretty far along!

Mine came to 30 chapters. Just some filling to do in a few of them.
#662 - October 27, 2010, 09:00 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
No Kip, not done yet...just almost!! I've been doing a dummy...text and illustrations for a PB. Over 30 illustrations, and my style is pretty detailed so it's been a lot of work...I just finished the first color sample, and have 2 more of those to do (plus I think I'll do a color cover, so make that 3) and I have 3 b&w sketches left...so I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! :chesirecat
#663 - October 27, 2010, 09:10 AM

@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Wow, everyone is making such great progress!!! :applause :applause

I zipped out a first draft of a PB last night/today.  Okay, it wasn't the real first draft -- I've tried writing it a few times before over the last year.  But last night I had an aha! moment, and got busy.  Maybe it was being dizzy from my cold?  I'm not sure if it's any good, but this draft is far better than the others, so I'm happy.
#664 - October 27, 2010, 09:41 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
YAY Jen!!!!  :yay

that's awesome!! cold induced delirium makes for strong writing...who knew??  :moose
#665 - October 27, 2010, 09:54 AM

@cynmarko

kiperoo, I have 29 chapters, so a few more to go, but it's not quite as much as it sounds like because several of them are pretty short.

Made it through chapter 22 today!! I am a huge fan of the chapters that only need light revision. :yup
#666 - October 27, 2010, 10:49 PM

YAY Jen!!!!  :yay

that's awesome!! cold induced delirium makes for strong writing...who knew??  :moose
Delirium is a beer in my regular bar.  You've just made my day!  John's departing to his mother's so I will have a whole afternoon to myself.
Didn't happen because John returned early and met me in the coffee shop.  Grr... :mob
It's now been subtly and in a somewhat delogating term that I should do the shopping in the morning so I can have writing time to myself in the afternoon.  Not a bad idea.
#667 - October 28, 2010, 03:37 AM
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:55 AM by thunderingelephants »

jenniferfisher

After gallons of green tea  <blek!>   and 3 naps,  I feel ready to get back to work. I gotta give it to you BBer's who write through all those ills! I can't function when I'm sick   :faint
 :congratulations  for everyone's  progress!
#668 - October 28, 2010, 09:46 AM

Wow, Joanna, you are really tearing through your revisions!
I finished one of the scenes I needed to completely overhaul. I am still in Chapter Two, but I feel like I am making some progress.
#669 - October 28, 2010, 10:40 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I knocked my WIP down from almost 5000 words to 250 words.

For a contest entry. :lol  I saved the other 4250 words to put back into it later. Much later!
#670 - October 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I knocked my WIP down from almost 5000 words to 250 words.

For a contest entry. :lol  I saved the other 4250 words to put back into it later. Much later!
:bow     HOW did you manage that, Verla? :confused2
#671 - October 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:lol the contest calls for just the first 250 words, thunderingelephants. So I whittled that first chapter down to 250 words.
#672 - October 28, 2010, 02:38 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

:wow  Great progress going on here!  That's great!

I tweaked the first two chapters to add in a bit more tension, which is going to affect the rest of the story.  And I got a good start on chapter 3.  Come monday, I'm intending to power through the rest of this draft.   :duel

Hope everyone gets lots done!!

Tabitha
#673 - October 29, 2010, 04:32 PM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I passed 30K today  :cupcake Feels like a marathon!
#674 - October 29, 2010, 04:43 PM
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:45 PM by Aimee Walker »
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :yay Aimee!!  :cheerleader
#675 - October 29, 2010, 04:49 PM

@cynmarko

is kooky.
Poster Plus
Thanks *blush*

I have to sneak in once in awhile and read the updates~ Seeing you all kick some tail does my fuzzy heart a lot o' good.  :blackcat
#676 - October 29, 2010, 04:55 PM

notthatheroine

I'm kinda new, but thought I'd join in since I'm in the midst of rough drafting. I've been writing almost everyday for almost two weeks (rather like this   :oncomputer )and I'm onto chapter 7 out of 20 for a YA novel. I think this is the fastest, and likely messiest, draft I've ever written. But right now it's fun and new, so I'm enjoying it and just going along with it. Hope everyone else has had a productive day of writing!  :D
#677 - October 29, 2010, 05:46 PM

I whittled out a few words yesterday.  That's progress for me these days. 
Then again, I was on a much more important project: my truffles.   Those truffle molds are tricky and it takes a lot to figures them out, but John bought them for me and I want him to see I appreciate them.
Sunday tomorrow, that's usually a good writing day for me.
#678 - October 30, 2010, 03:30 AM

TracyP

I'm here, reading and not revising. But this thread is motivating! Thanks.
#679 - October 31, 2010, 10:58 AM

Aah, the peace and serenity of a quiet coffee shop!
Left the beasties at home and toddled this afternoon for my brew.  Wrote quite a bit whilst the cappuccino went cold.  Drank it and was so spurred on that I bought another and wrote more.  I've not felt this good about my writing in a long time. Sigh with contentment.  

Just counted:  580 longhand.
#680 - October 31, 2010, 12:03 PM
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:38 PM by thunderingelephants »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hey, great progress everyone! It is so motivating to read how people are barreling through chapters, cutting manuscripts from 5K to 250 words (ha!), and pushing on in spite of cats and truffles.

And I have something exciting to add too! I finished my rough draft!! I am sososo excited to have fully completed something.  :snoopy

I know I have my work cut out for me now that I'm going back to revise, but I already have some great advice from my critique group to work with and I'm looking forward to digging in. Tomorrow. Tonight, I celebrate, WAH, hah, hah.

In the end, I got to 50K words and 30 chapters. I'm hoping it'll be about the same, plus or minus 10% or so, after my revisions are done.

It sure will be weird going back to chapter one.

See y'all here (since I'll still be working on my WIP!) and Revisionland.  :grouphug2

#681 - October 31, 2010, 12:39 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :congratulations Kip!!!!   :hug
#682 - October 31, 2010, 12:42 PM

@cynmarko

Fighting off a disgusting stomach cramp and I can't think where I got it from.  BUT I have been diligently working, kind of.  I wrote two hundred in half an hour this morning.  In longhand, that's quite a lot in such a short period.
Ooh and I then returned home to make 40 shiny truffles.  I think there are about forty more left in the fridge that haven't been coated.  That can wait 'til  tomorrow.  I've got ten pin bowling tonight, if I can manage to lift the ball.
Enjoy the sweets, guys.  I don't think I'll be having any of them.
#683 - November 01, 2010, 09:48 AM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
Passed 40K on the WIP yesterday and got my 1700 in for NaNo this morning.

You know, you could have asked me if that was possible a couple years ago and I'd have said no.

Funny thing happened somewhere in all that typing.  :smile
#684 - November 01, 2010, 11:08 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Woohoo, Kip!

Aimee, isn't it funny how suddenly it's possible to do things that used to be impossible?

I'm working on my WIP, too. It's a lot easier for me to add to this in large chunks than it has been in the past. Is it this book? Is it because I know more now? I don't know--but I'm glad! I'm not doing NaNo because I have my own WIP to finish--but I'm trying to treat it that way. I don't mind revising, but I've got to HAVE something first, or I can't revise, you know?

Go, everyone! :)
#685 - November 01, 2010, 11:18 AM

:yay kiperoo on getting finished! I am still in Chapter 2--though I am getting toward the end. At this rate I'll be done in about a year.
#686 - November 01, 2010, 08:59 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
YAY! for everyone's progress!

Aimee, 40k is awesome!! Can't imagine how many PBs I'd have to write to get there! lol

Still plugging away on the dummy. Got all my spreads put together with text, revised an illo, but still have more color to do. Worked some more on one my other storyboards today, too. Needed a break from the dummy. It scares me. Too close to being done, I was starting to feel nervous about wrecking it, lol.  :feelbad
#687 - November 01, 2010, 09:32 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

And wow, this is such a great group! Aimee, you went from 30K to 40K in just a couple of days??? AWESOME! And it's so cool to hear about everyone else making more progress - dummies, chapters, and even chunks of words - all good!

I revised 6 pages yesterday, and am crossing my fingers shooting for at least that much when my kiddos are napping today. Yaay, naptimes!

#688 - November 02, 2010, 09:12 AM

jenniferfisher

Yay naps and Yay Election Day off for me but kids are in school! I wrote 3 Chapters today and feel SO happy to be back! Between being sick and grad school work, my WIP has been all but abandoned :'(
 :congratulations to everbody doing what we do best   :typing
#689 - November 02, 2010, 09:38 AM

I had a great morning. I went over the stuff I revised yesterday, revised a little more, got into the scene and was really flying. :typing Then the autosave kicks in, freezes my computer, and I loose every word back to my last save.  :gaah It wasn't a complete loss of my work as I save fairly often, but I had to redo part of the scene and I am certain the words I used weren't nearly as good as the ones I lost. Still I am done with Chapter 2, so that's something.
#690 - November 02, 2010, 11:33 AM

Members: