SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Tinamarie

1846 - you're rockin'!   :hairdude

got out a measly few hundred words yesterday, but they were sufficient to finish one scene and start the next, at least. Entering a phase of home repair/new consulting projects so will be battling the forces of anti-writing...
#961 - February 15, 2011, 05:37 PM

jenniferfisher

:yay ruecole & 1846.
Good luck TinaMarie... Anti-writing forces, take that! :starwars:
I am in my home stretch, about 3 more scenes to go  :horse:
#962 - February 15, 2011, 06:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
1200 words yesterday, 3800 words today.  I'm in a race against time to finish in my timelimit.  Of course, I didn't say it was any good, I only said I'd written it.

Keep it up, Happy Camper, ruecole, and Tinamarie!
#963 - February 15, 2011, 07:58 PM

mswatkins

Okay, I didn't get many words down, but a WIP I'm in the early stages of hashing out got me out of bed at 5:30 this morning.  Somewhere in my half dream, half conscious state some good ideas popped into my head.  It's not much, but I'll take it. 
#964 - February 17, 2011, 05:43 AM

I tried to write my revise today, but that means I have to print and Moggy keeps trying to catch the paper from the printer!  Maybe he is jealous of the cats in the story/ :garbage:
Still got a story on my mind so I might just go and draft that out instead.  Elsewhere!
#965 - February 17, 2011, 05:51 AM

jenniferfisher

Toot Too!  :hurrah That's the sound of me tooting my own horn to finish my first draft. It's untitled, by YA 13 year old mc in the city.  Feeling like this   :guitar: :bellydancer :pickle :chickendance :carrot
#966 - February 19, 2011, 05:04 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I did 3,500 new words today, edited about 40 pages, plus I did the dishes and three loads of laundry. This was actually a more relaxing day than the one my 13 year old MC had, however.
#967 - February 20, 2011, 08:19 PM

Tinamarie

That's awesome, Happy Camper! Congratulations!   :hurrah  :partytime
#968 - February 20, 2011, 08:48 PM

I did 3,500 new words today, edited about 40 pages, plus I did the dishes and three loads of laundry. This was actually a more relaxing day than the one my 13 year old MC had, however.
:envy:

:writing3 Would like to be doing this but can't because of this :dishes this :laundry and this :cat

However, Verla has mentioned on occasion that she THOUGHT about her W.I.P on occasion and counts that as work.  I am doing the same.
Is that ok?
#969 - February 21, 2011, 07:17 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It works for me. I'm assuming it also works for you, thunderingelephants. :moose
#970 - February 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Tinamarie

I vaguely recall starting a new chapter the other day, I think only a 100 or so words might have been written. Last few days have been very difficult, as my baby has been sick (boogers, vomiting, ear infection, more boogers). Sigh. My Feb 28 deadline (self-imposed but still very important to me) looms near. And consulting work about to pick up with a new project (good for the wallet, bad for the writing)!

So nice to come to this thread for encouragement  :cheers:

Good luck everyone!
#971 - February 21, 2011, 05:06 PM

Tinamarie

2,095 words today - yahoo!    :horse:
Hope everyone's work is going well.
#972 - February 23, 2011, 09:40 PM

mswatkins

I got a few pages edited this morning - a little clean up of showing and not telling.  It feels good.
#973 - February 24, 2011, 02:13 PM

Tinamarie

Cleaning up must be satisfying, msw.  I'm in just-get-it-down mode for now.  Did about 1500 words today, I think. Four chapters left to go....
#974 - February 24, 2011, 06:42 PM

mswatkins

1500 words is a good day in my world, Tinamarie.  Yeah, my clean up is all about fixing my "just-get-it-down" efforts.  Which includes a whole lot of telling because showing just wasn't happening. Today wasn't as much fun as yesterday, but any day I get to write is a good day for me.
#975 - February 25, 2011, 11:29 AM

Tinamarie

Oh yes, msw - I'm committing great crimes of telling, not showing, as the draft progresses.  My plan is to finish the whole dang thing by end of Feb 28, ignore it for a month, and then start the revision process through an online "Novel in Progress" class in the spring. Hopefully I won't be too horrified when I look at this again in April!

Have a great weekend!
#976 - February 25, 2011, 02:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Good going, Tinamarie!  Editing what's already written is where the real writing is, msw.

I did a marathon today - 5166 words as I chase my outline to the end.  I was writing most of the day, although I did find time to do two loads of laundry, the dishes, dog walking, 5 miles on the mike, and two games of pool.  I was on a roll, I only did the other stuff to rest my brain between scenes.

I'm almost finished with this rough draft now but I have my doubts about getting it done by tomorrow.
#977 - February 25, 2011, 07:54 PM

Tinamarie

Good going, Tinamarie!  Editing what's already written is where the real writing is, msw.

I did a marathon today - 5166 words as I chase my outline to the end.  I was writing most of the day, although I did find time to do two loads of laundry, the dishes, dog walking, 5 miles on the mike, and two games of pool.  I was on a roll, I only did the other stuff to rest my brain between scenes.

:wow is all I can say to that!
#978 - February 26, 2011, 03:28 PM

kidlit59

Well, I was working on my WIP when out of the blue--an idea for another book flooded my mind. I scribbled the thought down in my idea journal, but it wouldn't let go of me. I opened a new project folder in Scrivener just to jot down the few plot points that were tormenting me and ended up with eight chapters fully outlined plus knowing where I wanted it all to end. Yikes. Now I have to somehow get my mind back into my original WIP.
#979 - February 26, 2011, 07:29 PM

Cat

Hmmm... about 200 away from 1000. ROCK ON! That makes me feel happeh.
#980 - February 26, 2011, 08:18 PM

Tinamarie

squeezed out a portion of my second-to-last chapter (622 words so far) - 1.5 chapters to go between now and midnight Monday. these last few are really kicking my butt.

hope everyone is having a great weekend  :pickle
#981 - February 27, 2011, 03:23 PM

I did THINK about my w.i.p yesterday, but couldn't do any work because I left the silly manuscript at home.   :eh2 :slaphead:  The brain is working, the hand isn't.  Maybe towards the end of the week...if I can remember to bring it with me.(my story not my brain, that's kind of compulsory.)
#982 - February 28, 2011, 06:52 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw

...if I can remember to bring it with me.(my story not my brain, that's kind of compulsory.)

I'm not so sure about that, thunderingelephants. I know numerous times that I've left my brain at home when I was out doing things. :lol2
#983 - February 28, 2011, 07:25 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Tinamarie

Maybe towards the end of the week...if I can remember to bring it with me.(my story not my brain, that's kind of compulsory.)

:snork
#984 - February 28, 2011, 08:57 PM

Hey guys, I hosted a table-quiz last night and sweated buckets over it. That has really been my w.i.p for the last week and some of the questions myself and John asked were stinkers-especially in the children's literature round.  I also got three orders for my truffles so quite a productive night.
But I seriously missed my writing yesterday and came home at twelve this morning to write about three paragraphs before collapsing into bed.  Never done that before and felt strange writing at that time of night.  Can't wait 'til this afternoon.  More writing.
Feel free to munch on some truffles-loads left.  Beer or orange&espresso: it's up to you.
#985 - March 01, 2011, 03:43 AM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
Last night in a bout of insomnia the most wonderful thing happened. A conversation began to play out in my head and I realized it would fit perfectly into the novel I started awhile back. I ended up getting about 2000 words down. I’m so excited. This project has been off to a very slow start and I haven’t touched it since November. Yay!  :alce:
#986 - March 01, 2011, 03:00 PM

Tinamarie

Hey Thunderelephants - congratulations on the truffle orders!  I'd LOVE the orange & espresso ones myself.

Happy to report that I made my personal deadline of finishing the first, super-duper bad draft of my MG! I think it was around 11pm, just an hour short of my Feb 28 midnight goal :chickendance

Now I'm going to let it sit for a while, and try to make myself write something totally different. I think I'm in the mood for a short story....
#987 - March 01, 2011, 03:06 PM

I wrote a whole paragraph today! It's the most I've been able to write since January, I think. I'm still planning on trying to get more written today, but I already feel that I've accomplished something big, lol.  :clap:
#988 - March 01, 2011, 04:05 PM

Last night in a bout of insomnia the most wonderful thing happened.
Thankfully, none of that for me last night. However, that's the name of the coffee shop I travel to every day for my inspirational writing bout every day (and excellent coffee).
Too early to contemplate writing.  That will happen this afternoon.

Talk to you guys later.  Feel free to munch on my new truffles-orange and espresso, by the way.
#989 - March 02, 2011, 03:17 AM
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:18 AM by thunderingelephants »

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
Another 1300 words last night. Finally the ball starts rolling : )
#990 - March 02, 2011, 03:44 PM

Members: