SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

I got the pen out and killed my fingers.
Now I'm off to experiment in the kitchen.  Peach and orange truffles.  Anyone want to try one?
#1021 - April 13, 2011, 01:12 PM

I TRIED to write this morning, but it just wouldn't come to me, so I did some housework instead. It's far too quiet around here.  Think I'll take myself off with my  :pages: and do some :writing3.  They do great deals in my regular haunt for  :coffee-only 3.50euros for cake and coffee.  That's cheap around here.
Don't forget my truffles, guys.  I've been working hard on them.
#1022 - April 15, 2011, 06:15 AM

Cat

I FINALLY got the paper draft of my WIP onto my computer!! Now, back to the beginning...
#1023 - April 15, 2011, 02:41 PM

millefiori

This thread has been quiet lately. Who else is knee-deep in a WIP? Right now I feel like I'm wrestling alligators, but I'm not getting out of my chair until I hit 40K words. It's on the very near horizon and I'm posting here to hold myself accountable!
#1024 - April 21, 2011, 10:53 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Good for you, millefiori. Keep that BIC and you will succeed in reaching your 40K. (Just remember to eat once in a while. It helps when you have the strength to keep your but... er... tail end in that chair!)
#1025 - April 25, 2011, 05:37 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Good for you, millefiori. Keep that BIC and you will succeed in reaching your 40K. (Just remember to eat once in a while. It helps when you have the strength to keep your but... er... tail end in that chair!)
I prefer Staedtler pens myself, Verla.  I have been quiet myself lately. They have huge beer festivals during Easter and May bank holidays.  We have another bank holiday coming up at the weekend and John's lurking around so I don't get time to myself.  I am also feeling self-conscious because Moggy is sitting in front of me-glaring.  Quite intimidating. :cat :voodoo
:chocolate: Don't forget my truffles.  I am off.  Moggy wants a cuddle.
Anyway, one thing I am glad of is that a previous thread started by myself hasn't been deleted-it's helped me with w.i.p.  This place always gives me insipiration.
I will be without the Beasties tomorrow...and hopefully back to work.  Hope you all had a good Easter, guys. :chocolate:
#1026 - April 26, 2011, 02:46 AM

Tinamarie

Hey everyone -I've missed this thread! I finished the SFD (Sh$$ty First Draft) of my MG the end of February, and intentionally took a 6-week break from it (during which time I was immersed in my consulting gig, so the only writing I did was my journal and a stab at a short-story). I'm now revising the MG as part of my work for a wonderful UCLA Extension class; did a 17-page chunk earlier this week, which felt great. We'll see if my class workshop  critiquers think it was worth the effort!

Hope everyone's doing well.

And hope the truffles came out yummy, thunderingelephants!

- T
#1027 - April 27, 2011, 02:28 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I am back to the point where I have "chose your own ending."  Seriously, I have about two versions of how the end of the last part goes and I keep getting them mixed up.  I move one part up to My WIP and go back and look at the previous draft and go "ooh that part is good, it should be in the story." and try and figure out where it should go.  It is a goo thing I have thick hair or I would be snatched bald by now. 

My eyes are truly going like this  :eyeballs:  I just gave up for the day.   :sigh

I need lots and lots of chocolate.   :chocolate:
#1028 - April 27, 2011, 05:46 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Hey everyone -I've missed this thread! I finished the SFD (Sh$$ty First Draft) of my MG the end of February, and intentionally took a 6-week break from it

Tina, you could have just used this  :toilet and saved on word count in the thread. :dr

Hope everyone's doing well.

And hope the truffles came out yummy, thunderingelephants!

They didn't, unfortunately.  I consoled myself yesterday by reminding myself that I could just about afford a block of chocolate from O'Connaill's chocolate shop.  Imagine carrying a huge block of chocolate around in your rucksack (along with lots of paper).  It killed my back until I met John and dumped it on him!  The shop is also situated in Carrigaline, the town my mum lives in.  Every ingredient I use is Irish (except the beer!).  No-one in cork goes near Guinness, we have our own breweries but they are just stout.  (the beer, not the people working there).  I'll have to upload a picture some time.  
Now, back to work, Fi.  There are truffles to be made...and writing to be done.
Hope you guys are moving forward...

P.S. I (Verla :verla) modified your message to fix the quotes in it, thunderingelephants. You had left off the code at the end and beginning of each quote... which made your entire message show up as a quote instead of just Tina's comments. It's fixed now. I hope that was okay with you.
#1029 - April 28, 2011, 02:47 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:04 AM by Verla Kay »

Tinamarie

Hey Thunderingelephants - your picture has humans in it now! Are you, perchance, one of them?
#1030 - April 28, 2011, 04:55 PM

Hey Thunderingelephants - your picture has humans in it now! Are you, perchance, one of them?
I'm the one (female) with the specs.  Not pretty enough to be Holly.  John is the scary looking guy with the goofy smile next to me. (that's by his own admission, by the way)
No work done yet.  Mogster is giving me the run around-I'll deal with my other monsters later.
#1031 - April 29, 2011, 02:41 AM

Hey guys, has no-one been working lately?  Quite productive today - wrote around three hundred and ironed a few creases on my character's personality.  Can some-one please log in here?  I'm feeling lonely!
#1032 - May 03, 2011, 12:26 PM

millefiori

Well done, thunderingelephants! I'm writing, too, though today was more "read and tweak the last chapter" than write anything new. And I'll be ready for tomorrow when I start a brand-new chapter.
#1033 - May 03, 2011, 01:21 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I'm working - on trying to get the message board avatar upload feature to finally work again. :sigh

Does that count?
#1034 - May 03, 2011, 06:04 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I'm working - on trying to get the message board avatar upload feature to finally work again. :sigh

Does that count?
You are the administrator, Verla.   That's entirely up to you. :dr  But since you help all of us so much, I reckon that's more than enough work. 
I am visiting my mother's at the minute and bored stupid.  Really want to write and am thinking about it.
That counts, doesn't it?
#1035 - May 04, 2011, 07:14 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thinking about our stories always counts. And... just for the record. I GOT THE AVATAR PROBLEM FIXED. (At least, I THINK I did.) So you should be able to change your avatars again, folks.

:yay
#1036 - May 04, 2011, 10:17 AM
Verla Kay

Because Sunday is even more of a boring than the rest of the week and John had gone to his mother's, I decided to go wherelse, but the coffee shop for a quiet brew and scribble.  I am glad I did.  My character has some truly disgusting eating habits and I like messing around with them.  He's going to a party within the next few days-I must get his behaviour sorted.
Don't want to disgrace myself-or him!
#1037 - May 08, 2011, 11:18 AM

Tinamarie

Hey there! I started to work on my WIP today (I actually have to submit revised pages to my online class before midnight tonight)
 :oncomputer

Then I had a fight with my mother over the phone.
 :sigh

Haven't been able to concentrate on WIP since. But after I get the baby to bed will have no choice but to buckle down. I suspect that this assignment will not represent my best work.

<goes away to breathe deeply and tell self that this too shall pass>
#1038 - May 10, 2011, 07:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your argument with your mother. In a similar scenario, just a call from my mother-I was supposed to meet her ten minutes ago, but I had forgotten.  Just as well she cancelled 'cos I haven't had my hair cut and she ordered me to do it last time I met with her.  I had to clench my fists to stop myself from doing her nose damage.  I love her, but sometimes... :voodoo

Leave your w.i.p alone for a while and maybe try a  :grouphug2 and  :coffee-if baby lets you.
Truffles tomorrow - if I can get the cooker going!  Otherwise I will to rely on my writing.
#1039 - May 11, 2011, 04:31 AM

Penn Bender

I'm working like crazy and loving it!  The last month I was so busy with my WIP that I didn't have a moment to report.  It felt so good to come back energized after a short break from writing and illustrating.
#1040 - May 11, 2011, 07:59 AM

Tinamarie

Sorry to hear about your argument with your mother. In a similar scenario, just a call from my mother-I was supposed to meet her ten minutes ago, but I had forgotten.  Just as well she cancelled 'cos I haven't had my hair cut and she ordered me to do it last time I met with her.  I had to clench my fists to stop myself from doing her nose damage.  I love her, but sometimes... :voodoo

Leave your w.i.p alone for a while and maybe try a  :grouphug2 and  :coffee-if baby lets you.
Truffles tomorrow - if I can get the cooker going!  Otherwise I will to rely on my writing.

Thanks, thunderingelephants!  I so hope that 30 years from now my grown-up son and I don't have nasty fights, the mere thought of it depresses me. But I think there's often something especially complicated and maddening in mother/daughter relationships.

Honestly, if I hadn't had to turn in an assignment, I would have made myself a nice stiff highball last night.  Maybe tonight...

I managed to turn in 7 ms pages last night. I'm at the point with my ms where I need to address gaping holes in the Sh$$ty first draft and am finding myself a bit stuck. But decisions must be made, and words written!

#1041 - May 11, 2011, 11:08 AM

No writing done this afternoon but I am "blaming" the two males in my life.  Moggy was too cuddly today and wouldn't remove his body from the keyboard and John landed in the coffee shop too early.  I was thinking about prat of a character so I'll call that work, even if I didn't use a pen!
#1042 - May 11, 2011, 11:23 AM

Ladyeclectic

I've been busy finishing up the outline for my (newest) WIP today but last night I spent several easy hours pounding out the words. I plan to do the same thing this afternoon, as this story is still in that excitement phase and I'm looking forward to getting more words on the page. :D
#1043 - May 11, 2011, 11:38 AM

For those of you who have "other" hobbies - I advise you not to do both in the same afternoon.
Did some beading which I am quite happy with.  Then I did some longhand writing which I am also content about.
Now my wrist is in agony-which I am unhappy with.  A good afternoon's work, but I am taking it easy for the night! :grin2: :yup :notworking :coffee
#1044 - May 15, 2011, 11:33 AM

Hooray, I just hit 20,000 words on my latest WIP.

Now I suppose I'd better get back to what I'm supposed to be writing. It's a shame that writing fiction is a lot more fun than legal research papers. :oncomputer
#1045 - May 15, 2011, 09:15 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Lack of chocolate and boredom got the better of me this morning.  Just as well, really.  It's now 1.50p.m here in Ireland and already, I have been shopping for groceries, bought chocolate for my truffles and written three hundred words.
That's it!  No writing for the rest of the day.  I am meeting my two friends for a coffee and bringing my truffles for a torture tasting session.  I think these ones are actually okay-no curry in them.  They were reserved for my highly inteligent but bonkers father!
Lime and white chocolate as mentioned and strawberry beer goin your way, folks!
#1046 - May 17, 2011, 06:07 AM

I've hit a wall!  I keep trying to figure out how to move into the next part of my story, but I can't seem to make myself make the transistion.  Do I just power through and leave it to revision?  I read the first 50 pages are the hardest.  For me, it's the first 100!  Now, I'm off to power through!
 :bangbreak
#1047 - May 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
A neurtron walks into a bar and asks, "how much for a drink?" The bartender says, "no charge."
-Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory)

Just getting back to actually completing my WIP after spending the last few months focusing on getting my first 10 pages ready in time for a conference. I don't love revising before I've completed the project and now am having a really hard time getting back into the swing of things. Anyone have advice for picking up after some time spent on something else?
#1048 - June 14, 2011, 08:06 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I stayed up until 4am last night writing and my husband and son are busy playing video games today so I got in another two hours today.  It's nice to see some progress.  Hope everyone else has a productive day.
#1049 - June 25, 2011, 03:08 PM

I'm desperately trying to finish my current WIP before I leave for a trip on July 7th. I've been writing 4000 words a day and just hit 50,000 today... if I can keep up this pace, I'll be done just in time!

Good luck to everyone else with your writing goals.  :goodluck
#1050 - June 26, 2011, 08:45 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Members: