SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

disappearing replies

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Several times in the past few weeks, I've had trouble with my replies to posts disappearing after I hit "post." I assumed I was simply hitting the wrong key (backspace instead of post, for instance), but today I paid careful attention and hit "post" twice. It didn't take. So I got out of the Blueboards, got back in, and tried again. This time it worked. But it's been sort of random and it's frustrating to write a careful reply, only to have it disappear. Any suggestions?
#1 - July 07, 2010, 03:36 PM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
Highlight and copy your replies before you hit the Post button? This happens for me most commonly when I'm using wireless, so maybe a landline would improve your outcome.
#2 - July 07, 2010, 03:39 PM
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:41 PM by Aimee Walker »
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I'm sorry you're having issues.  Have you tried using another browser or clearing out your cache?

Aimee's suggestion to copy your replies before hitting the Post button sounds like a great idea, until you're sure your posts go through on the first try.  That way, you won't risk losing any of your responses.

I hope it works better for you soon!
#3 - July 07, 2010, 04:28 PM

Mike Jung

A problem I've recently had is not noticing the "another reply has been posted in this thread" blah de blah that appears in red if someone else posted while I was writing my post. I believe it used to function differently (a pop-up message used to appear, I think?) so for a while I'd just click through to the thread without realizing I was looking at a message about my post not having gone through.

Boy, this looks really incoherent at second glance, I hope it makes sense...
#4 - July 07, 2010, 04:34 PM

Poster Plus
I have that problem too ... if I really spent a long time on the post .. I copy before hitting send ... lots of times if they disappear .. I just don't bother reposting.

I turned off that notification of someone else posting while I was typing my reply. I guess it was a pop-up ... but anyway .. it used to make my screen freeze ... so I changed my settings.
#5 - July 07, 2010, 07:25 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I habitually copy my long or complicated responses before hitting the Post button, too. Most of the time there's no problem, but I think if you are wireless, it can "glitch" on you sometimes at a crucial moment.

If by some chance I forget to copy a post and it has disappeared, I use the back button on my browser, and almost always it will bring back up my post message before it disappeared. I can NOT post it from that backup screen, but I CAN copy it and then start over and paste it into the post box and post it that way.
#6 - July 07, 2010, 07:35 PM
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:39 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Thanks for all these suggestions. I'm not wireless, but I can definitely copy my messages.
#7 - July 08, 2010, 08:34 AM

Members: