SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Bingo

Discussion started on

I have a question about children playing Bingo in mag stories. If they're playing for free to win prizes at a church or school festival, do you consider this gambling or an innocent game? I grew up playing it in school, and the kids at our church play it. I'm wondering if editors at mags like Highlights or Pockets would frown upon this activity. Any thoughts?

Also, can you think of any game similar, where a group of kids would be sitting at a table trying to win prizes? Thanks so much!
#1 - July 17, 2010, 08:09 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Poster Plus
I wouldn't consider it gambling, since they didn't pay to play.  I don't know what age of kids you have playing this game, but another possibility would like what ladies play at showers- a word scramble, or fill in the blank puzzle where the first one done wins.
#2 - July 18, 2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your input, Cindy!  :smile
#3 - July 19, 2010, 07:12 AM

Have you considered Bunco? There can be prizes for the person with the most wins, the most buncos and the person who wins the least. I played it for a couple years with the same group of people once a month, and I've seen it played at a school fund raiser. We used to have everyone pay $10 to play and that paid for the prizes.
#4 - July 19, 2010, 07:35 AM
Stained Glass Summer, Musa Publishing
Weaving Magic, YA Romance
Finders Keepers--MeeGenius Publishing
www.mindyhardwick.com

Thanks for the Bunco idea! I've never played, but it sounds like you had fun.
#5 - July 22, 2010, 08:38 PM

Members: