SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (SPOILER ALERT!)

Discussion started on

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Poster Plus
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
->
->
->

Anyone else as happy as me that Katniss ended up with Peeta and not Gale? Throughout the entire book, I still felt they belonged together. I also thought SC's idea to have him hate her and want to kill her was brilliant. Didn't even suspect it. Weirdest thing was how upset I was about Finnick dying. I had to read it three times. I expected Peeta or Gale, not Finnick. Even little Prim didn't bother me as much because it was written in so well. It was what made the ending so perfect. And I loved Joanna. She was hilarious!
#1 - August 26, 2010, 07:29 PM

The romantic in my really wanted more of a loving embrace when Peeta showed up back in 12. Or at least more details of when she did finally fall back in love with him. I definitely agree she ended up with the right guy and I'm glad SC pointed out how Gale was too much like Katniss whereas Peeta was her opposite to balance her out. I can't believe she killed Finnick!!!!   Although I'm glad Anne had a baby, it made me feel a little better.

On a non plot side the book seemed to have a very pessimistic view of the hope for humanity. Even in the end no one seemed to really learn from the mistakes of the past. Which made the book less fulfilling than I would have liked.
#2 - August 26, 2010, 10:10 PM

TrueImage

I finished this book last night and I'm still pondering how I feel about it.

It's very dark as I suspected it to be. I think a lot of readers may be put off by the darkness of it but I think this is where Collins was planning to go all along -- I mean you can't have a trilogy about a Hunger Games -- pitting child against child to fight to the death -- end on a fluffy high note. She has always stated that she wanted to show the effect of war on children and adults.

I was Team Peeta from the beginning, but there was something about they way the two go together that is...I don't know. It's seems she picked him by default since Gale went to District 2. And he didn't even say good-bye (at least in the book).

But like bechick108 said, Katniss did realize that Gale was too much like her and even if she hadn't gone to the Games and they had of escaped to the woods, would they have really made it together?

And I think when the bomb killed Prim, I knew it was over between Katniss and Gale as far as a romantic relationship. She would always wonder if it was Gale's bomb (or at least his tactics) that killed her sister.

I guess I just wanted her to make a more "active" decision. But if she HAD of ended of with Gale, I would have been disappointed. Peeta was definitely a better match. And I loved the dialogue in the last chapter.

And it was sad with all of the characters dying. The characters that we got to know and love. Especially Finnick. His character really was rounded out in this book.

Still, I don't know overall how I feel about the book yet. It did affect me and the writing was phenomenal. And the ending with Katniss and Peeta's children being free of the Hunger Games was hopeful, but the affects of the War still left a deep scar without any guarantee that War would not flare up again.
#3 - August 27, 2010, 08:05 AM

I loved it. I thought it was brilliant and ended exactly as it should have ended. If she had gone Hollywood on me, I would have been really upset. This dark ending with this hint that war can still happen is realistic to not only the series but to life. I think any other ending would have been a Disney ending. There was no way for this book to end any other way but dark.

For some reason Finnick's death definitely affected me more than Prim's. It seemed sudden and unexpected and I was upset about it. Prim's death was well done tied so brilliantly into the President's plotting. How calculating. That Katniss had no one left to talk to about what to do made her last actions feel absolutely true to her. I really thought all of this was just masterly done.

I don't think she defaulted to Gale. Every interaction with Gale seemed to highlight that he was actually a default for Peeta. And I was surprised to find that I ended up disliking Gale halfway through the book. He and Katniss are alike, but it was Peeta that made Katniss so much better. I think Katniss recognized it also and that's why she loved him. He made her a better person.

Ok - I can go on and on so I'll stop now. But yes, I really loved this series and I'm so not disappointed at all by it.
#4 - August 27, 2010, 08:20 AM
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

JustWrite

I have a sort of Mockingjay treatise on my blog if anyone wants to stop by to read and leave their thoughts. I'd love it if you would. I have my own theories about the entire series and what Suzanne Collins has been trying to say. Let me say this. Hunger Games *ain't* no Twilight.

Lisa

http://lisa-amowitzya.blogspot.com/2010/08/bigtime-mockingjay-spoiler-dont-read.html
#5 - August 27, 2010, 08:22 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I LOVED IT. Thought it was BRILLIANT!

A few quibbles: I wanted Prim's death to affect me, but it didn't. I wasn't sad about it at all, and that kind of bothered me.  I also felt there were too many characters to keep track of at times.

But I thought it was well done, perfectly plotted, and Prim's death made K's decision not to go for Gale as a partner final, and came full circle with the fact that K set out to save P from the HG by taking her place, but in the end during war, you can't just save someone unless the war is over. 

As far as Gale v. Peeta, K decided before that, too, that she would choose neither G or Peeta since they were right when they were talking; she'd pick the one who could be the most useful to her and she said that it would be neither of them; she needed no one. When she ended up with Peeta, circumstances had changed.

And the ending was as hopeful as a war book ending can be, imo.  She had children, had hope that the world would be better, and the war was over and people were rebuilding.  I thought it was realistic.

Coin's death? Brilliant.  Coin asking about another HG?  Brilliant and shocking.  I loved the unpredictable story twists that still fit perfectly with the characters' actions -- and I think that is how SC is a brilliant writer and this series was fantastic.
#6 - August 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

TrueImage

Oh yeah. Coin's death = brilliant.

One thing has been bothering me about some of the negative reviews -- saying that Katniss was passive throughout the whole book -- I don't think that's necessarily true. I think she realized that she was a pawn in yet another game (Coin's), which is why I thought when Katniss killed her was brilliant.

The more I think about how this book has left me -- sort of drained, dazed and a little depressed -- that may be proof that Collins has done what she set out to do -- to truly show the affects of War.

#7 - August 27, 2010, 09:13 AM

I don't think any one scene affected me more than Finnick dying. I actually stopped reading, mouth agape, and looked over at my husband. "No!" I said, and he just looked at me like a crazy person. And then, when I read Anne had a baby? Tears! Burning in my eyes! Maybe that affected me more because I'm a parent, and I can only imagine how hard it must have been to have a baby alone. Not to mention, Anne was having a hard enough time with the day-to-day with Finnick. How is she now without him?

I'm glad Katniss ended up with Peeta. I had hoped she would, because, like she herself said, her and Gale were too much alike. Gale was focused too much on the victory, and not on the path that would take them there. I still felt bad for him though, when he and Katniss had a conversation about the bomb that killed Prim. Gale knew Katniss would never forget the bomb, he knew his chance had been lost.

I think, like others said, Suzanne Collins did exactly what she set out to do, making us experience the hollowed out feeling one feels when they've been through war. The fact that we felt anything at all is proof she's an extremely good writer! I can't wait to see what she writes next, though I'm VERY sad we've read the last of the Hunger Games books.
#8 - August 28, 2010, 10:05 AM
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
Finnick's death also left me shocked and yelling, "Whaaaattt??" to an empty room. Prim's death saddened me, but I only really felt it when Katniss was trying to get rid of Buttercup. I'll admit, that got my tearing up.

I'm curious about something. Did anyone else suspect that the hospital scene was a set up by District 13 in order to get a real reaction out of Katniss? That scene was the one that got me thinking that Coin would do whatever it took to win and so I wasn't surprised at all that they may have used Gale's bomb to kill the children.

It was such a dark and depressing novel, but to have turned it into anything else wouldn't have worked. I love a book that stays with me long after I've finished it. The whole thing was absolutely brilliant.
#9 - August 28, 2010, 10:20 AM

Running2StandStill

I just finished Mockingjay about five minutes ago, so I'm still processing. But I will be the first in the thread to say that Prim's death was the one that really got to me. Finnick's death was surprising and terrible--he was a wonderful character--but the weird thing I remember thinking when the mutts got him was "Huh. Maybe she didn't know how to end/continue on with his character." It felt so abrupt and pointless for him to die right then. Prim's death had meaning and was a catalyst of sorts, and I just couldn't believe it.

As for the Team Peeta/Team Gale point...I was always Team Gale, however I think Collins was a genius at her reasoning as to why Gale wouldn't work out for Katniss. Peeta was the right choice for her in the end, that is clear. The romantic in me DOES wish there had been more "romance" to the romance angle. Ah well.

It was a hard book to get into...I wasn't pulled in until about page 100 or so. Felt there was a lot of summarizing. Of course, that is hard *not* to do when writing the third book in a series!

I wish I'd liked Katniss more. I respected her...I thought she was a strong character, brave, and real with her weaknesses. But in the end, it did seem like she was a cold person. Perhaps that was the point: she recognized that when Gale said "She'll choose whoever she can't survive without." This is a dark book with dark themes. Katniss herself is on a path of self discovery and she doesn't like what she finds? The whole series says a lot about the importance of honesty and truth.

Overall, I really enjoyed the third book. I think it ended well with a small (realistically guarded) sliver of hope.  :smile

#10 - August 28, 2010, 11:54 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I found it to be an exciting ride but not un-put-down-able.  The authorial hand was far too obvious and the resolution of the love triangle seemed contrived and not organic to the characters.
#11 - August 28, 2010, 03:57 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Finally found the time to finish Mockingjay. Good book. Dark. Tolkeinesque in it's violence and depiction of war.
I did feel the majority of the book was more character driven than the first two, so I was able to put it down and come back to it.

Finnick's death was a shock. When it happened, I just remember saying,"But he just got Annie back." Somehow it didn't seem fair to either of them.

It wasn't until Buttercup's return that Prim's death had an effect on me, but I think that was Collin's plan all along. We don't grieve until the character grieves. She didn't see Gale or her mother after Prim's death, the two people who would have openly grieved for her sister.

As for Coin and District 13, I never felt it was a safe place or that she was anything but power-hungry and manipulative. No different than Snow in many ways. And there was a part of me that suspected that the hospital and several other scenes were somehow manipulated by District 13 and Coin for effect.

I think it would be interesting to get a viewpoint of someone who has read all three books in succession -- rather than over a period of years (it's been quite a while for me, since I read Catching Fire in bound manuscript form).

That said, I think the next book I read will be about fuzzy kittens and playful puppies. I need some cheering up. lol

keep writing,
dave r
#12 - August 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Mike Jung

Relentlessly bleak settings...teenagers infliciting unimaginable acts of violence against each other...the terrible, destructive effects of life in an inescapable war zone...yep, CRACKED UP TO BE sure is a dark book.

Oh wait, are you guys talking about MOCKINGJAY?
#13 - August 28, 2010, 07:03 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
Just finished today!

I was very satisfied with the ending. It's the only one I could imagine.  And I liked the epilogue, because the reason that Katniss could never imagine herself with Gale, Peeta or anyone at all in the first book was her unwillingness to risk bringing children into a world where the Games were hanging over all of their heads.  Caring for her sister and mother were more than she could bear.  The fact that she was able to have children, fifteen years later showed how much she did heal and that peace was sticking without the sacrifices of the pre-revolution Panem.  It made everything Katniss went through seem worth it, so that the next generation could have a chance at happiness and freedom.   So I guess I didn't find the ending as dark as everyone seems to. 

I confess that I didn't understand why Katniss would agree to hold another Games, and I would have liked to have some internal reaction or clue from her in that scene.  I also wanted to see Peeta and Katniss reconnect instead of being told about it in a few sentences.  I never felt like Gale's going to District 2 was a cop out.  He went because it was well and truly over with Katniss after the bomb, and I felt like it was over long before, something Gale always knew.
#14 - August 28, 2010, 08:23 PM
SILVER (Flux)
GOLD (Flux)
SPIES AND PREJUDICE (Egmont USA)

http://www.YAMuses.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
I felt the reason Katniss agreed to another Hunger Games was to just get on with killing Snow/Coin. I think she planned it all the time and thought if she didn't agree, maybe Coin wouldn't let her be the one to execute Snow, which meant she wouldn't have the shot at Coin. Because they knew she was unstable and only gave her one arrow. They just thought her hatred of Snow would overpower any other ideas.
#15 - August 28, 2010, 08:51 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I finished Mockingjay today!! My initial reaction was total satisfaction, and just a general sense of WOW with the whole trilogy. But then, as I've mulled it over, a couple things have struck me as a little problematic. Overall though I thought it was a terrific read and solid end to the trilogy.

One of my few quibbles was Katniss's reaction to seeing Peeta after they rescued him from the Capitol. Did anyone else have problems with that? Her eagerness and expectations that he would warmly greet her seemed totally out of line for me with her character, especially given how much she'd worried about him and what he must think of her as she watched the Capitol interviews with him. She'd observed that he didn't look quite himself, and she knew he had been tortured. I wasn't expecting Peeta to strangle her, but I also thought she would have approached that reunion with a little more concern/worry/caution for how he might be feeling toward her, and Peeta's reaction seemed to take her totally off guard.

Prim's death oddly didn't surprise me, but I think this is because very early on it was established that Snow used people's weaknesses against them, and from the opening of Book One, we've all known Prim was a weakness for Katniss. I was actually expecting Prim to somehow be captured and used against Katniss earlier, and so the way she was used in the story was unexpected which I appreciated. That sounds so heartless! Sorry Prim! I was sad to see her go, but I guess what I'm saying is that I knew going into Mockingjay characters were going to die, and Prim was at the top of my list for people I didn't think would make it to the end.

But there were two parts to Prim's end that didn't fully sit right with me. I had been worried about Prim the whole novel but she was never in harm's way, and then in the end it almost seemed too convenient that she rushed out into danger and died. I also am not fully sold on how she was considered underage and yet was sent into combat as a medic. This wouldn't have even occurred to me as an issue, except that it occurred to Katniss, so much so that she ran to Haymitch for answers which she never got and stopped pursuing for no reason I really understood. I take it I am supposed to believe that Coin gave permission for Prim to go on purpose to punish Katniss, but even if Coin masterminded the parachute drops, it seems like she couldn't know for sure that Prim would get killed. Coin also did not seem particularly cruel toward children to me earlier in the novel--calculating and focused on bringing down the Capitol above all else, yes, and concerned with retaining her power position. It just didn't seem like Coin to want to hurt Katniss by hurting her loved ones--that seemed to be Snow's game--so I can't help but feel the author presence of SC here manipulating the story. Prim's death is essential to triggering what follows, but the trail leading up to Prim's death doesn't seem as naturally laid out as it could be.

And along the same lines, I loved the twist at the end when Coin presented the idea for another Hunger Games--it so solidly set the idea this would be a never-ending power game that relied on evil and cruelty, no matter the side in power. But again it didn't sit right with me that Coin would be that callous about sacrificing children. Maybe if I reread the book I will see a lot of earlier incidences that underscore this trait of hers, and I glossed over them because I wasn't focused on Coin. But I wondered why Coin wouldn't present the Hunger Games idea with ADULT residents of the Capitol as contestants--prominent allies of Snow, rather than their kids. That would have seemed more in character to me. Still cruel and continuing the cycle of violence as a power move, but not at the level of Snow. At the very least, it bothered me that none of the tributes suggested that as an alternative option when they were voting. It makes me wonder if SC thought a new Hunger Games would have to include children in order to push Katniss over the edge into killing Coin instead of Snow.

The other thing that kind of bugged me is how relatively easy it was for Peeta's rescue team to break into the Capitol prison and release everyone with no real casualties (I think Gale got a minor injury and that was it), and meanwhile when Katniss's team tried to go to the Capital there were pods and booby traps and Peacekeepers all over the place. Since Boggs was working from an old Holo from the Capitol, I'm assuming all those obstacles would have been there when Peeta's rescue team went, but maybe not. I do remember a line from Boggs or someone who commented on how it seemed a little too easy, like Snow wanted them to remove the prisoners and take Peeta since he was programmed to kill Katniss. So maybe that should be sufficient reasoning--Snow knew they were coming and disabled all the booby trap and pod things and only gave limited resistance to make it appear like they cared, when really the rebels were doing exactly what the Capital wanted them to do.

So much to think about and digest! Even with my quibbles here, I was really impressed and wowed with this whole trilogy. It's incredibly rare for me to read a book that I don't have ANY quibbles with, and overall I thought this was a masterfully executed story.
#16 - August 28, 2010, 09:25 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I started at 9 pm and finished at 2 am. So, although I didn't want to put it down, I agree with someone else who said it wasn't as hard to put down as the first two. I kept waiting for the action, and it just didn't show up until 3/4 of the way through the book. But I still liked it--just not as much as the first two.

PJV, you said
I felt the reason Katniss agreed to another Hunger Games was to just get on with killing Snow/Coin. I think she planned it all the time and thought if she didn't agree, maybe Coin wouldn't let her be the one to execute Snow, which meant she wouldn't have the shot at Coin.

Along those lines, do you think that Haymitch was onto Katniss's ulterior motive for agreeing to another Games, and that's why he voted for them as well? There was something going on there between the two of them, but I wasn't absolutely sure what it was...

#17 - August 28, 2010, 09:57 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
I wondered about Prim, too, but if you remember, Snow was broadcasting that Katniss was dead and Prim may have gone because of that.

Also, it was mentioned that the reason it was so easy to rescue Peeta was because Snow wanted him to kill Katniss. Gale's injury may have been because he was the one person Snow would have wanted dead to punish Katniss.

Leah: It wouldn't surprise me at all if Haymitch knew exactly what she was thinking. Someone joked on twitter that Katniss ended up with Haymitch and it's true, they were more alike than her and Gale!
#18 - August 28, 2010, 10:01 PM

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I wonder if Katniss agreed to the Hunger Games in an attempt to have Coin mistakenly believe Katniss was on her side. This way Katniss wouldn't be viewed as a threat. Which clearly she was.
#19 - August 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:06 AM by tammi »
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Ah, PJV, those are good points. I didn't think about how it was broadcast that Katniss had died. I could see Prim insisting on going. But I still don't see enough to believe though that Coin manipulated everything with the intention for Prim to die, which seemed to be what Katniss was suspecting. She said, "Did Coin do it, hoping that losing Prim would push me completely over the edge? Or, at least, firmly on her side?" I don't think she ever gets a clear answer on that, but it just seemed far-fetched to me, or out of left field for that to be Coin's tactic. I would, however, understand Coin sending Prim into the war effort if Prim was insistent about it, and Coin being indifferent to her outcome. And then Katniss crediting Coin with causing Prim's death because she was calling all the shots on the rebel's side, the same way Katniss blamed herself as the cause for so many more deaths than the ones she directly had a hand in. But what came across for me in Katniss's words and actions was that she felt Coin had intentionally wanted to harm Prim to further manipulate Katniss, but I didn't feel like there was enough to support that.
#20 - August 28, 2010, 10:28 PM
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018

Did anybody else wonder if Plutarch? purposely allowed Katniss to talk with Snow in hopes of him convincing her to kill Coin? It just seemed a little too convenient that she was the one that said Katniss could be in the same room as Snow and then the one to be elected the next governing official. Was Katniss ever not a pawn?
#21 - August 28, 2010, 10:52 PM

Poster Plus
I wondered that, too, if she knew how Coin was and thought Katniss would be against her if she knew the truth. I don't know if she just hoped Katniss to back her instead or if she, too, used her. It would be interesting to hear more from Collins. I hope she talks about it when everything calms down.
#22 - August 28, 2010, 11:09 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Oh, interesting thought bechick!
#23 - August 29, 2010, 06:57 AM
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018

TrueImage

Yes, I also thought Paylor letting Katniss go into President Snow's living quarters with the roses was a little too convenient too. Maybe she knew that Coin was just as bad as Snow and she wanted Katniss to find out. She ended up being the President so maybe Paylor used Katniss as a pawn too?

Another thing that has been puzzling me that maybe slipped through my first reading of MOCKINGJAY is the remaining district industires. I know that we found out what District 2's industry was (some mining but mostly Peacekeepers), but what about Districts 5, 6, and 9? I still can't figure out what the industry for each was (although fanfiction has them as identified as something else but it doesn't come from the books).

From the trilogy the known district industries (book in parenthesis):

District 1: Luxury/Jewelry (HG)
District 2: Peacekeepers (MJ)
District 3: Electronics/Explosives (CF)
District 4: Fishing (CF)
District 5: ?
District 6: ? (Some say medicine/pharmaceuticals because the morphlings were from 6 in CF)
District 7: Lumber/Paper (CF)
District 8: Textiles (CF)
District 9: ?
District 10: Livestock (CF)
District 11: Agriculture (HG)
District 12: Coal (HG)
District 13: Graphite/Nuclear(HG, CF)

One of my friends sent this passage to me from Chapter 5 (page 71) of CATCHING FIRE that sort of hints at what they could be: "Sometimes a brief tour a glimpse of the sea in one district, towering forests in another, ugly factories, fields of wheat, stinking refineries."

She thinks that the sea was 4, forests were 7 and ugly factories were 8, which left wheat and oil since she thought 6 was medicine. A lot of people think District 9 may have been oil and then maybe 5 wheat/grain.

Wasn't FoxFace from District 5? A lot of fanfiction has District 5's industry as hunting. And a fox is a hunter.

I'm still thinking the industries of 5, 6, and 9 were never stated out right. Maybe this is something Collins wants her readers to figure out with the clues she left.

I also wonder if she will ever say where they were located although you can figure out where some of them are located by hints in the book. I think the Capitol is definitely in the Denver/Salt Lake City area -- hence the Rockies and the fact it was snowing in MJ. District 11 is definitely somewhere in the South as well as District 4 (probably in the Gulf area). I always thought District 8 was near Detroit somewhere. And District 12 in Appalachia; however if you listen to Collins read, she always reads Katniss with a Southern accent so probably West Virginia. District 13 would be farther north of 12 -- I think Katniss said in MJ that it was a week's walk away. Also Twill and Bonnie from District 8 got on a train from District 6, so it must be in that vicinity as well. I'm thinking the water took up a lot of land so what is considered North America to us may be different in THG trilogy.
#24 - August 29, 2010, 08:12 AM
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:15 AM by TrueImage »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Reading through this thread - I tend to agree with a lot of points. 

POOR FINNICK!  I just felt so terrible for Annie and I had to reread the sentence because it seemed like Finnick was killed off just like some extra little character.  I think the girl in the lemon yellow coat's death got more page time than Finnick's!

And yes - I would have loved a more detailed reconciliation with Peeta at the end.  Katniss and Buttercup got a nicer, more specific reunion scene.   :ha  I suppose that's the romantic in me too.  There was a decent amount of romance in the other two - I could have done with a teensy bit more.  But I was very satisfied that she ended up with Peeta.

Did anyone else think that something more was going to happen with the pearl that Peeta gave her?  She brought it with her to 12.  She held it at night when she couldn't sleep.  She tied it in the corner of her parachute and then didn't she tuck it in the pocket of her Mockingjay uniform?  I could have some facts wrong b/c I was tearing through it, but I thought - FOR SURE - that Peeta was going to try to kill her again and somehow the pearl was going to come out and he'd see it and remember his love for her.   Or something!  It was mentioned so often I can't believe it didn't come into play.  Maybe it was simply supposed to represent how Katniss was holding on to him - but still - I closed the book and thought - "What happened to the pearl?" 

But my quibbles were little.  My emotions were big.  I loved the whole series and will give it all some time to settle then start all over again.

#25 - August 29, 2010, 09:39 AM

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
Oh yeah!! I wondered about the pearl too! I sort of assumed it was a loose end that SC forgot to close up. A little frustrating, but such a small detail, I chose to move on and not worry about it.
#26 - August 29, 2010, 12:01 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
NinjaWoman, I forgot about the pearl but I had the same expectations too! I could also see, as you said, how the pearl was only meant to be symbolic. But the way it was referenced and used I thought it would play an essential role between Katniss and Peeta at some point. I always wonder with these sorts of things about the revision process with a story--was there a time when SC intended the pearl to play a bigger part in the end but that ended up changing along the way?

And your comment about the girl with the yellow coat's death having more stage time than Finnick's made me chuckle. So true! Poor Finnick indeed. I really liked his character in this book--I found myself rooting more for him and Annie to reunite than the Katniss/Peeta/Gale triangle. And I don't mean that as a diss on SC and how she handled the love triangle either. I actually thought she did that pretty masterfully--it seemed very real to me. Their relationships were so complicated as we knew them, with so much baggage, there really wasn't a storybook ending option that would have been realistic. And given the circumstances of them fighting in a war and not confidant about their day-to-day survival, I think I would have liked the book less if there had been too much focus on the romantic angle and Katniss debating which guy was best for her. I felt like she had love for both and her main priorities as far as Peeta and Gale were concerned were their safety, and to not hurt either's feelings. Having said that though, I also agree with many of you who wanted a little more in the reconciliation with Peeta at the end. That did seem a little skimmed over to me, a lot left to my imagination. I loved the scene when she runs outside to find him planting primrose, and how seeing him again triggers a rebirth in Katniss. But then it brushes over them actually growing back together as a couple and I would have liked at least one scene showing something significant from the process. Still, though, I found the whole trilogy very satisfying.
#27 - August 29, 2010, 12:16 PM
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018

Member.
Poster Plus
I was a little disappointed the pearl didn't play into the story at the end.  I thought it would show up in the poison pill pocket, or maybe Katniss would use it in one of their little games of Real/Not Real; it would've been a tangible "real".  The romance between Katniss and Peeta needed more romance, but at least they ended up together. 

The Coin character was so obviously another baddie from the beginning.  It would've been more interesting to me if there was a bit of mystery as to Coin's intentions.

I kept thinking Haymitch would die; that would've been a death that bothered me.  Also, I wanted Cinna to show up so badly, but...  it wasn't meant to be.  Finnick's death made me sad.  Total bummer.  He deserved a better death or some dying words or something.  Prim's death didn't affect me that much and I feel it should have since, despite the fact she stepped up and took her place at the Reaping, in the end, Katniss still couldn't save Prim from the Hunger Games. 

It was appropriately dark and bloody, and I enjoyed the book.  It wasn't may favorite of the three though.
#28 - August 29, 2010, 02:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I would have liked at least one scene showing something significant from the process.

Exactly, J-Bert.  It's like we've been through so much with Katniss - give us a moment when we can feel some of the emotion that she and Peeta felt during book 1 & 2.  And I don't mean to be all complain-y either.  Sometimes when something is fantastic (Which I totally thought it was), it's easy to see the few things that weren't as satisfying.

But I, too, wondered if maybe the pearl played a bigger part in a scene that just didn't make the cut.

Yanno, re: Prim's death.  I'm not one to enjoy the killing-off of sweet little girl characters - but it brought things full circle for me.  Most likely, if Prim would have gone to the games in book one, she would have died.  A rebellion probably would not have started.  Katniss going in her stead and one-thing-leading-to-another caused a lot of violence and death, true.  Prim still died but a terrible regime was destroyed in the process.  So either way, Prim's a goner.  But this way some good came of it.  I guess my point is - I wasn't as upset about Prim because it kinda felt right that she died.  But not so with Finnick.  He was very vital to me and I didn't see that one coming.

Did that make any sense? :duh

#29 - August 29, 2010, 02:35 PM

This book had way too much summary for me, especially at the climax when Katniss blacks out we read the most crucial part of the book as... summary. And why in the world did Katniss keep singing that song about a girl dying alongside her lover if not to foreshadow her own death alongside either Peeta or Gale?

Too much summary, not enough tragic romance--the ending was a letdown. Here's the one I propose:

Gale is taken prisoner and Katniss shoots him to spare him the torture. Tragic! But at least she has Peeta to comfort her. They take Snow prisoner and execute him. Coin then betrays Katniss and Peeta, who die in each other's arms, and Coin instigates a new set of Hunger Games. End.
#30 - August 31, 2010, 03:08 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Members: