SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is anyone here writing for magazines any more?

Discussion started on

Got quite the Sunday morning surprise in my e-mail--an assignment from the editor of Appleseeds, one of the Cobblestone magazines!  I had submitted an outline and reference list in April, and figured that no reply meant they weren't interested.  But today she asked me to write up my piece on the animals of Cleopatra's day, in 150 words, for the back cover of the March 2013 Cleopatra issue and get it to her by October 8th.  I know my facts have to be checked and rechecked, and first I have to write the thing!  But I'm excited just to hear back from them.  This all happened because I met the head of the Cobblestone group at the Highlights workshop, who said to mention him to the editor, so once again, Highlights rocks!
#121 - September 09, 2012, 02:07 PM

Poster Plus
Congrats! And back cover exposure! Woo Hoo!
#122 - September 09, 2012, 02:30 PM

That's awesome news!!! And yes, Highlights people are the best!
#123 - September 09, 2012, 04:49 PM

J IS FOR JAZZ
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
  • SCBWI PAL
I still sub to magazines. Like several others, an occasional sale keeps me keeping on.

#124 - September 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
LITTLE PIANO GIRL
ICE CREAM SOUP
DO-SI-DO-BOTS
BIGGETY BAT FINDS A FRIEND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Congrats, Deb, that's fantastic! Your string of successes keeps me going!  :hurrah
#125 - September 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

Poster Plus
Vijaya, I saw your rebus in Ladybug!  Always fun when I "know" the author!  (And now I'm second-guessing myself, because I saw this yesterday at the library-  it was a rebus, and it was in Ladybug, wasn't it? Memory, memory, wherefore art thou, Memory?)
#126 - October 09, 2012, 10:57 AM

kdgrier

I have a question and I hope this is the right place to post it. I have several poems that I feel would fit the young adult market, and maybe even a few articles and essays I could possibly sell as reprints.

My question is what magazine would you suggest I approach to break into the children's market? I have a middle reader being read by a publisher, so I have written for children, just haven't had anything published yet. I didn't think about submitting the stuff I have to kids markets until I began doing some research of submission guidelines. I just thought I might do better if I got some advice from ya'll before I decide who to submit to.

Thanks in advance! :new:
#127 - January 10, 2013, 08:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
kdgrier, have you checked out MAGAZINE MARKETS FOR CHILDREN'S WRITERS or CHILDREN'S WRITER'S AND ILLUSTRATOR'S MARKET? They list the magazines that are out there, what the editors are looking for, and the target age group. I refer to mine regularly and have found them very helpful. Maybe see if your local library has one or both, to get you started. Good luck!
#128 - January 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

kdgrier

Thanks Allison
#129 - January 10, 2013, 01:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Many children's magazines accept poetry. Here are a few you might start with==I'm assuming these poems have not been previously published. (If they were, be sure you check guidelines of your target magazines to be sure they accept "one time" rights.)

Beyond Centuri, Cicada, Devozine and Berry Blue Haiku are all for teens and accept poetry.
#130 - January 10, 2013, 08:38 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Just a small aside, Berry Blue Haiku has closed.
Ev Christensen does a great job of keeping up with the magazines that have closed (or just closed for submissions) at her online Writing for Children's Magazines
http://evelynchristensen.com/magsCL.html
#131 - January 11, 2013, 03:40 AM
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:43 AM by Jan Fields »
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

kdgrier

thanks, both of you, that gives me a great start! :flowers
#132 - January 11, 2013, 06:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks, Jan, for the update on Berry Blue. I pulled that one from the 2013 Children's Writers Market. Will mark my book so it's current.
#133 - January 12, 2013, 08:45 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I don't post a lot on the boards but I've been reading the posts for a few years now. Now I finally have some good magazine news to share!

Highlights just published my story, "A Valentine for Nanima," in their February 2013 issue. My first acceptance and publication with Highlights!  :partytime

Also, hi Bobi!
#134 - January 13, 2013, 07:50 AM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
Interesting discussion! When I found myself a few years ago with only a part-time job, I decided to use my afternoons to write short stories. That resulted in two stories being published at paying ezines, one of which was reprinted in an anthology. Yet my husband and I have both come to feel that this format doesn't really fit my personality.

A year ago, I added nonfiction to my pursuits and received a personal rejection from Boys' Quest. Since that time, I've gotten two articles published is our local newspaper and a request from our local dog organization to write for them along with suggestions of state publications to which I could submit. If I can juggle their requests with writing articles for children's magazines, I'd still love to break into Boys Quest, Cricket, and Highlights.

This past fall I participated in National Novel Writing Month. Obviously, I have no idea if I'll find any more success in the novel world than the magazine world, but my husband and I do feel the breadth of a novel better fits my personality for fiction. So, I might be done with the fiction stuff when it comes to magazines. 
#135 - January 13, 2013, 09:15 AM

Hey, Starfish--congrats on your story in Highlights!  I'm sure it's just the first of many. You'll love working with the staff there.  I met them and toured the office when I attended a workshop, and they are just top notch-- professional, helpful and fun!  Good for you!!
#136 - January 13, 2013, 12:33 PM

Poster Plus
Congrats, Starfish. I will go look for your story at my library.
#137 - January 13, 2013, 04:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Congratulations, Starfish! That's great news.
#138 - January 13, 2013, 07:33 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Regarding Highlights, I just looked over their submission guidelines for fiction, and it says they purchase all rights, including copyright - is that a standard sort of arrangement? I didn't realize that magazines usually did that.
#139 - January 13, 2013, 07:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Starfish!  Terrific news!

And congratulations, Allison, on your publications.  Sounds like you're making good progress toward your goals.

Best wishes to you, kdgrier, on finding a place for your pieces.  Thanks, Jan, for suggesting my ezine for the closed mags.  Kd, you might also check my ezine for other possible places to sub.

Anthony, a lot more mags are asking for all rights than used to.  All the Carus/Cobblestone mags do.  Highlights is nice in that if they resell your piece, they'll share the profits with you even though the contract doesn't say that.  And in most cases, they're more likely to have the opportunity to resell a piece than we authors are, so it's not necessarily a bad deal.
#140 - January 14, 2013, 06:58 AM
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:01 AM by Ev »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Regarding Highlights, I just looked over their submission guidelines for fiction, and it says they purchase all rights, including copyright - is that a standard sort of arrangement? I didn't realize that magazines usually did that.

First--congratulations Starfish!!  I will look for the Feb issue so I can read your story. I'm excited for you. I sold an article to Highlights in October 2010, but am still waiting to see it in print. Hoping this spring.

Anthony, although Highlights buys all rights, they are fabulous about paying authors again if they reuse your piece in another publication of theirs. They will also revert rights on occasion when asked.  And it is pretty standard for the magazine to retain the copyright.
#141 - January 14, 2013, 09:43 PM

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks everyone! I thought the illustrations were really wonderful, too. I still can't believe I actually have a story published in Highlights.  :)
#142 - January 20, 2013, 10:21 AM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Also, congratulations on your sale to Highlights, Bobi. My wait for publication was a little less than two years, so hopefully you won't have to wait much longer!
#143 - January 20, 2013, 04:31 PM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Congratulations to Starfish and Bobi!!  :flowers2

JenJ, keep at it! At $25/poem, Cricket Magazine group pays quite well (though in recent years, they have been really slow in payments. They reprinted a poem of mine back in March - maybe April - of last year and I still haven't received a check yet).

To answer the original question, I'm exclusively published in magazines. Never even thought about writing a novel until just a couple of years ago. I never thought I had a long enough attention span to write a nov...*squirrel!!*  :haha

As others have said, it's good to write short pieces just to keep the submission muscles limber while I'm working on my MG novel.
#144 - January 22, 2013, 11:43 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've got lots of catching up to do. Congratulations on the new ventures and acceptances.

CindyB- yes, it was a rebus in Ladybug (about the missing cat). Thanks for mentioning it. I too, enjoy telling my kids I *know* certain writers. Of course, it would be nice if I got paid too.

Teresa- I also continue to write for magazines to keep the writing muscles limber in-between novel writing and revisions.

Vijaya
#145 - January 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Teresa- I also continue to write for magazines to keep the writing muscles limber in-between novel writing and revisions.
Vijaya, I think writing muscles are like body muscles: if you don't use them, they atrophy!  ;D
#146 - January 22, 2013, 02:15 PM

Just wanted to share my good news  :bunnyjump about my article in the March issue of AppleSeeds, on holy dung beetles and other sacred creatures of Cleopatra's day, and a craft project in the March/April Turtle, painting with lilacs.   :happyeaster I hope you'll get the chance to check them out! --Deborah Holt Williams
#147 - March 13, 2013, 07:17 PM

Just wanted to say congratulations on the article and project -- they both sound really cool.
#148 - March 14, 2013, 03:54 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Just wanted to share my good news  :bunnyjump about my article in the March issue of AppleSeeds, on holy dung beetles and other sacred creatures of Cleopatra's day, and a craft project in the March/April Turtle, painting with lilacs.   :happyeaster I hope you'll get the chance to check them out! --Deborah Holt Williams

Your ideas are creative and interesting...way to go :bluebunny:
#149 - March 14, 2013, 07:05 AM
I've always said I'll write someday...my someday is now.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL

Way to go, Deborah!  :fireworks  I'm especially intrigued with the ancient sacred creatures article and will check them out.

Teresa
#150 - March 14, 2013, 07:26 AM

Members: