SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is anyone here writing for magazines any more?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Will be stopping at the magazine rack in the children's section of my library to check these out! (I think they carry them both) Congratulations!!
#151 - March 14, 2013, 08:56 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
bookmarking this thread for later. I've just been asked to speak about magazine writing, which I used to do, so this is great thread to soak up ::-)
#152 - March 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Very fun, terrylynn!

#153 - March 15, 2013, 04:33 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

:chickendance   Congratulations to Blue Boarder  Alison Pierce Stevens on her article on terns in the current (June) issue of Highlights!  (Couldn't find a tern, so this dancing chicken will have to do!)
#154 - May 06, 2013, 06:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I use to write quite a bit for magazines. In fact, I was on staff at one for six years where I wrote for adults and children. I got away from that when I started working on some novel and pb ideas.  The plus of magazine pieces is that their short length makes you really have to think about economy of words. And magazine sales are a good way to keep pub credits and $$ coming in while you're working on a book.
#155 - May 06, 2013, 10:01 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

There's also the advantage of sharing your writing with lots of children. At a Highlights workshop on magazine writing, Lou Waryncia pointed out that the average book sells about 5,000 copies, while the circulation of Highlights is two million!  I hope to have a picture book out one day, but I'll continue with magazines, too.  I think they're terrific.
#156 - May 07, 2013, 11:47 AM

Poster Plus
I have to second what awful waffles said—a lot more readers see my work in Highlights than see my pb. I write short so not only is it a natural fit for me, it's what I love best. I remember being small and how I couldn't wait for the latest issue of Highlights to come in the mailbox, with the thrill of it being just for me so I think it's also important to write for magazines.
#157 - May 08, 2013, 05:34 AM
CHRISTMAS EVE BLIZZARD, Arbordale Publishing

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
My youngest grandson loved getting his own mail when his High Five magazine arrived each month. A point I forgot to mention is that book editors have seen a magazine story and contacted the writer to offer to a book contract.
#158 - May 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

:giddyup Hurray!  I just had my query accepted by AppleSeeds for a story on a very old New Mexico ranch.  I've been to it twice with school kids and I really look forward to writing the story!
#159 - August 22, 2013, 06:40 PM

I admit, I lost my love for magazine sales because I kept selling stories that never appeared!  The money is nice, but....
Ditto... But I am considering jumping back in with a somewhat more seasoned tenacity, because I, too, have missed the feeling of making a regular contribution- and I need to- admittedly for more altruistic reasons than monetary...or maybe I want to, more from the adrenaline rush of a tight market squeeze.

I enjoy reading through the posts of you who have and still are finding consistent success there.  It's heartening.
#160 - August 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
Smile. Act.
'Press on' always has, and always will, solve the problems of the human race."    --  C. Coolidge

:giddyup Hurray!  I just had my query accepted by AppleSeeds for a story on a very old New Mexico ranch.  I've been to it twice with school kids and I really look forward to writing the story!

No awful waffles there, sounds to me like you're doing stupendous strawberries and cream topped ones!  :star2 Congratulations!! I really like hearing good magazine news, and such a good subject!
#161 - August 22, 2013, 07:16 PM
Smile. Act.
'Press on' always has, and always will, solve the problems of the human race."    --  C. Coolidge

barbrosenstock

Early on, I submitted and sold a story to Highlights which is still yet to be published (like I don't know, 5 years ago?) Through that story submission, met an editor for their book companies and now have a few picture books published by them. I have so many ideas that aren't going to be books and could make nice articles, but there's just so few mags out there to make the time (or money) worthwhile, just one opinion. Wish it was different though, I thought some of those kid mags did a wonderful job and in the classroom had just the right length stories for struggling readers.
#162 - September 10, 2013, 12:58 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Aw, thanks awfulwaffles (Deb), I just saw your congrats on my tern story. Love the dancing chicken! I just got a surprise check from Highlights from a resale of one of my other stories. They're a class act.

:busstop (because it's finally raining! And no longer sweltering!)
#163 - September 11, 2013, 04:49 AM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Congrats, Alison, on the surprise check (and the rain)!

And Barb R, great story. I love writing for magazines!
#164 - September 11, 2013, 04:57 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

:fairywand: I felt like I had a fairy godmother when our group toured the Highlights office this week, while here at the Barn for a workshop.  We all visited Kathleen Hayes' office, where she talked about High Five and opened the brand new issue of Hello (for babies) and three of our group had poems in it--Kathy Doherty, Heidi Bee Romer, and Deborah Holt Williams (me).  We took photos and celebrated.  Then we went to visit Joelle Dujardin's office, and she talked about Highlights, and showed Kathy's rebus in this month's issue and my rebus in last month's.  We celebrated and took photos.  Then two mornings later I checked my e-mail  :typing and there was a contract for a poem for High Five!  :love5: And Kathleen Hayes joined us for lunch at the barn.  One of the best things about the fabulous workshops at the Highlights Barn in Boyds Mills is the tour of the Higlights offices in Honesdale!  And making those connections.
#165 - October 03, 2013, 02:27 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Congratulations, Awful Waffles! I remember reading your rebus last month. It was so cute! It must've been such a great feeling -- having your rebus shown off by the editor to the whole group. :)

What are their offices like? Are their desks overflowing with stacks of manuscripts? I always wondered how they sort the manuscripts... Are there acceptance, still deciding, and rejection bins?
#166 - October 03, 2013, 07:01 AM
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:06 AM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Awful Waffles, so fun you all got to celebrate with the staff at Highlights. They really are the best. I just returned from the Carolinas SCBWI conf. and did my bit for magazine evangelization. Pam Zollman (former ed at Highlights) was there so it was great to catch up with her. At an informal meeting, she gave the scoop on how mss make their way through the editors, the value of entering the contest ...

Remember this year, it is: Holiday Stories. Get to work, folks.

Vijaya
#167 - October 03, 2013, 07:13 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Starfish,
When I was at Honesdale a couple years ago, Joelle's desk was spotless! Maybe she had tucked all her stacks of subs under her desk, but I doubt it. She also made a comment about my writing in front of the group that was touring. So nice.
#168 - October 03, 2013, 07:17 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
Congratulations, Awful Waffles, on all your Highlights publications! I will go back and check out your Highlights rebus again. I did see DianaM's very cute Hiking poem in this months Highlights.
#169 - October 03, 2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks, and yes--Joelle's desk is still immaculate!  The offices are in an old Victorian house.  Kathleen's office is upstairs, and really pretty small.  Downstairs there are lots of framed photos of the founders of the magazine, the first issue, etc.  Near Joelle's desk is a beautifully carved wooden Timbertoes family.  I'm such a Highlights geek, I loved it all.  :yeah
#170 - October 04, 2013, 02:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Deborah, what a GREAT trip! I'd love to go to a Highlights workshop someday. *sigh*
#171 - October 04, 2013, 03:48 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Deborah!!  :fireworks  What a wonderful feeling to have the editors sharing your work with the rest of the group touring. And how awesome that you've had so many pieces published with Highlights!
#172 - October 04, 2013, 08:50 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Deborah, We just got our issue of Hello and my twin toddlers loved your poem! Congrats, again!  :goldstar
#173 - October 08, 2013, 02:47 PM
Anita N. Amin

Oh, Starfish, that makes me so happy!  I wrote it for my granddaughter Olivia when she was a baby and just loved her stacking cups!  She's a big two year-old now.  Snuggles to your twins! :shootingstar  :shootingstar
#174 - October 08, 2013, 03:33 PM

susie1

Many years ago I used to submit to about 20 magazines, now there are about 3 I have to submit to and the acceptances are much rarer these days, unfortunately. Much good luck to all, though. Hopefully it will turn around.
#175 - October 17, 2013, 01:27 PM

I posted some pictures of the Highlights offices and The Barn on my blog if anyone would like to see them. http://deborahholtwilliams.blogspot.com/  :oncomputer
#176 - October 17, 2013, 07:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Deborah, I loved your pictures!!! And I laughed out loud when I read that you did discuss poetry.

I made several posts, with pictures, about my trip earlier in June: http://www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com/search/label/Highlights

Enjoy.

I recently made a couple of submission to High Five. And I'm going to work on holiday stories come Dec. Shorts are such a great way to take breaks from the longer works.

Vijaya
#177 - October 17, 2013, 07:45 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Hi, Vijaya!  Isn't that dinosaur skull something?  I love Highlights.  Good luck with your High Five submissions!
#178 - October 17, 2013, 08:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Good luck with your submissions, Vijaya!

Very informative posting on your blog, Deborah. Thank you for sharing what you learned and saw. I hope I can one day go to a Highlights conference. And by the way, my kids like all of the stories and poems in the current issue of Hello but they insist on skipping straight to yours first. :) Mine are almost 2, too.

Oh and Susie, I know what you mean about a limited magazine market. I have 10 different short stories outlined but they're all going to magazines that I've already subbed to but not heard back from yet. So, my stories will be sitting here at home for a while. Guess that's better anyway. I always end up revising them after they've sat for a while. :)
#179 - October 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:50 PM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

I'm pleased to report that I have a poem in the newest issue of Hello, for babies, and that I got a bear card for a story for Highlights!
#180 - November 28, 2013, 09:44 PM

Members: