SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is anyone here writing for magazines any more?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I popped an envelope in the mail Saturday. It's on its way to Highlights. I'll let ya know what happens!
#61 - September 14, 2010, 07:34 PM
Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://flashlightpress.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Dear fellow magazine writers,

I'm looking for a market for a humorous poem about how to keep the doctor away.  I've tried Highlights already.  I don't think the poem is right for Clubhouse Jr or Pockets or Boys' Quest, either.  

I'm thinking I may need to look into a general interest adult magazine.  Anyone know of one that publishes poetry?  People? Country Woman?  I really have no idea, since I don't subscribe to any adult magazines.

I appreciate your ideas.

Jody

Edited to add:  I'm also sending it to Cricket.
#62 - September 25, 2010, 01:35 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
The Spider editor liked my revisions for "Lost in a Corn Maze" and bought it. I'm always amazed how editors know what's needed to make our writing sparkle. Thanks, Margaret. Laurie
#63 - September 25, 2010, 03:07 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code (Sterling 2017)
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
(Creston 2015)

Congratulations, Laurie! That's fabulous news!
#64 - September 25, 2010, 05:03 PM

That's great, Laurie!  :applause
#65 - September 25, 2010, 11:13 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Congrats Laurie! :goldstar
#66 - September 26, 2010, 08:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Jody, another possibility would be Jack and Jill or Humpty Dumpty (though they do buy all rights). Both are  part of the Children's Better Health Insitute so the doctor/health angle might appeal to them. I've sold them a few poems in the past. They haven't been buying that much lately, though J & J did buy and publish a puzzle of mine at the beginning of this year.

Guy Belleranti

Dear fellow magazine writers,

I'm looking for a market for a humorous poem about how to keep the doctor away.  I've tried Highlights already.  I don't think the poem is right for Clubhouse Jr or Pockets or Boys' Quest, either.  

I'm thinking I may need to look into a general interest adult magazine.  Anyone know of one that publishes poetry?  People? Country Woman?  I really have no idea, since I don't subscribe to any adult magazines.

I appreciate your ideas.

Jody

Edited to add:  I'm also sending it to Cricket.
#67 - September 26, 2010, 09:35 AM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:37 AM by AzGuy »
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) coming this summer from RR Books

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Congratulations, Laurie!

Guy

The Spider editor liked my revisions for "Lost in a Corn Maze" and bought it. I'm always amazed how editors know what's needed to make our writing sparkle. Thanks, Margaret. Laurie
#68 - September 26, 2010, 09:36 AM
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) coming this summer from RR Books

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Congrats, Laurie.

Thanks, Guy.  Yes, I've sold HD two poems recently.  Since this poem is about keeping the doctor away, however humorously, I don't think they'd use it.  I guess I could send it anyway, though.  Thanks for responding.

Jody
#69 - September 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Have you tried the New Yorker?  They accept, mostly serious, but sometimes clever humorous poems.   You can go to their website for details.

Laura
#70 - September 26, 2010, 05:32 PM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT, ARK (Zonderkidz 2014)
GOODNIGHT, MANGER  (Zonderkidz 2015)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hmmm.  I'll check it out, Laura.  Thanks!
#71 - September 26, 2010, 06:19 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Congratulations, Laurie!! That's awesome.  :smile
#72 - September 27, 2010, 01:45 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yes, congratulations, Laurie!!   :goldstar  That's terrific.

And Donna, I'm pulling for you on that sub to Highlights.   :goodluck

Guy, I agree--"The Leaves of Autumn" would have been better.   :yup
#73 - September 27, 2010, 03:24 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I received some good news this weekend. I had an email today from Marilyn Edwards, the Chief Editor of Boys' Quest, Hopscotch and Fun For Kidz that they will be publishing my short story "Nothing to Do" in their December Boys' Quest issue. They had been holding it in case space opened up, and apparently it did!. I will also have a puzzle in the same issue, and a puzzle in December's Hopscotch. It's always especially nice to place those short stories in a good magazine.

Also, I received a Bear card from Highlights on two puzzle/activities, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on those.

Best of luck to everyone else with your writing. Happy Halloween one week early!

Guy
#74 - October 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:16 PM by AzGuy »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Great news, Guy! Congratulations!
#75 - October 25, 2010, 05:55 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona

Thanks, Chris!

Guy

Great news, Guy! Congratulations!
#76 - October 25, 2010, 08:51 AM

Wow, you're on a roll, Guy--congratulations!
#77 - October 25, 2010, 10:03 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
New to the boards- but very helpful thread- hope it does keep going! I mainly illustrate for magazines and it was very helpful to see the magazines that are still active to send postcards too- I did do a two page spread in Babybug- in May/June- "Tickle" poem- wont be paid for a year- dont know if that is for illustrations- but thanks for sharing the info and hope we can keep doing it!!
#78 - November 07, 2010, 07:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Julia K!

Glad you joined us.  I'm curious about your comment about not getting paid for a year after your work was published.  I'd heard the wait with the bug mags was between acceptance and publication, but I thought once they'd published your work, payment and contributor copies were not far behind.  Am I wrong?  I do remember hearing something about them being slow with payment, now that you mention it.  Hmmm.

Jody
#79 - November 07, 2010, 08:49 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

In Sept., Alice Letvin from the bug mags said they were about 2/3 through Nov/Dec. 09 issues and that revenues and payments usually pick up a lot in the final quarter of the year. She expects to be into Jan. 2010 payments by November.

So basically, it could be almost a year after publication before you get paid. I do not know if it is the same for illustrators. I'd be interested in hearing about that.
#80 - November 07, 2010, 10:07 AM
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:09 AM by Lenzi »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks for that, Lenzi!  Now I know what to expect.   :yup
#81 - November 07, 2010, 12:54 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I'll let you know when I get paid- need to put it on my calendar to remind me to start "bugging" them- huh- made a pun!
#82 - November 11, 2010, 08:42 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Guy and Julia!   :chesirecat  I always love to hear good news.  Hope your Highlights Bear Card turns into an acceptance, Guy.
#83 - November 11, 2010, 09:17 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I'm still awaiting payment for a poem that appeared in Spider a year ago October.

Laura
#84 - November 11, 2010, 09:44 AM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT, ARK (Zonderkidz 2014)
GOODNIGHT, MANGER  (Zonderkidz 2015)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I was surprised to see another poem of mine in the November issue of Babybug, after having my first in the September issue. This one was somehow more thrilling because I had known about the September one for a year, whereas the November one was a complete surprise when I opened up the magazine to read it to my daughter.

On a related note, I sent a thank you email to Jenny Gillespie for publishing the two poems and got an automated reply that she has moved on from her position as associate editor. Her website seems to be a promo site for an album, so she must me a multi-talented person -- go Jenny!

Carrie
#85 - November 11, 2010, 10:11 AM

Congratulations on the publication, Julia--I love your artwork!

And congrats to you, too, ECF--happy surprise!
#86 - November 11, 2010, 02:57 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
thanks Lenzi- I need to get more postcards out to magazines than I am-
Laura have you did a follow up "polite" re-  invoice- ?
#87 - November 11, 2010, 05:12 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Julia, Laura  and Carrie, congratulations to you all on your sales to the bug magazines. Payment a year or more after publication? Wow, never heard of that long of a wait.

Guy
#88 - November 11, 2010, 08:24 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks, Ev.

Guy

Congratulations, Guy and Julia!   :chesirecat  I always love to hear good news.  Hope your Highlights Bear Card turns into an acceptance, Guy.
#89 - November 11, 2010, 08:27 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks Guy and Ev- ( hope I got everyone for the congrats)
I am just getting started in illustrating so you dont turn down a chance to be in a bug magazine- but I hope it is just a hick up instead of an indication of something worse-
This economy- seem like I have heard in general magazines are doing rather well- don't know if kid magazines are?
#90 - November 11, 2010, 08:58 PM

Members: