SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is anyone here writing for magazines any more?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
To JodyJS- Congratulations on your sale to Highlights! It was good to see a positive response for a magazine. It was good to see a response at all! Not too much seems to be happening in the magazine world. I've got several that I'm waiting on, and waiting and waiting.
#91 - December 10, 2010, 06:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, Cindyb!!  Hang in there!  And send something else out.

As to our earlier Carus discussion, I received my contributor copies for Babybug this week!

#92 - December 11, 2010, 05:38 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congrats, Jody, on both the Highlights acceptance and the contributor copies of Babybug.  Those are two great magazines.  Isn't it fun to see work in print!

Changing the topic, does anybody have a copy of the Dec/Jan issue of Boys' Quest and would be willing to check to see if I have a puzzle in it?  I was supposed to but, contrary to their usual practice, I haven't yet received my contributor copy.  Before I bug them about it, I thought I'd check to be sure it actually made it into print.  Thanks bunches!
#93 - December 12, 2010, 09:31 AM

shoniker

Hi All,
I have never subbed to magazines before but went to Chautauqua this past summer with Highlights and have been thinking about it ever since.  This thread has me re-inspired.  I usually write PB and am always confused about the fine line beween what could go into a magazine vs. a PB.  Any advice here?  I am an educator and Winter Break is coming up so I think I will be looking at my idea file to see what might fit where...  Thanks everyone!
 :grouphug2
#94 - December 12, 2010, 12:30 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Hi Ev. I have a short story in the same issue, but have not received my copy either. As soon as I get it I'll check for your puzzle.

Funny thing, I also had puzzle in the Dec/Jan Hopscotch and received my contributor's copy a week or more ago. So the BQ copies must be on their way. At least, I hope they are. . .

Guy

Congrats, Jody, on both the Highlights acceptance and the contributor copies of Babybug.  Those are two great magazines.  Isn't it fun to see work in print!

Changing the topic, does anybody have a copy of the Dec/Jan issue of Boys' Quest and would be willing to check to see if I have a puzzle in it?  I was supposed to but, contrary to their usual practice, I haven't yet received my contributor copy.  Before I bug them about it, I thought I'd check to be sure it actually made it into print.  Thanks bunches!
:goat
#95 - December 12, 2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) coming this summer from RR Books

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks, Guy! My BQ contributor copy arrived today, so I guess they were just running on a different schedule with it this time.  I enjoyed reading your story.  Great way to encourage kids to write.  :yup

Shoniker, there may be some threads on that question if you do a search here on the Blue Board.  I know I've read articles addressing that topic, but can't remember where--maybe on ICL; you might check there.  One of the differences is the number of illustrations that are needed to make the story work.  If you can get by with maybe just one or two then you have a magazine story.  If the story requires 12-24 then you've got a pb.  In between those numbers?  Then you may need to adjust your story some, either adding or subtracting, to make it go one way or the other.
#96 - December 13, 2010, 08:21 AM

Just got my Jan. issue of Highlights with my story, "Crickets CRASH! and a Birthday Bash!" inside. LOVED the artwork. Made me want to write more short stories. I've been so focused on my book and now doing things for my agent, I haven't written anything short in a while and I miss it!
#97 - December 13, 2010, 11:39 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I saw your story, Michelle. Congratulations--that's the contest winner, isn't it? My article on the crayon artist is on page 12. It's so fun to see our words in print, after waiting so long, isn't it?

Sara
#98 - December 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
I received some surprise money in my mailbox from the Bluffton group- for a reprint of a poem, Limited Vision. They did not tell me where they were reprinting it. I don't know if they send contributor copies for reprints. Those of you who have received issues, could you look to see if that poem is in them? Thanks!
#99 - December 13, 2010, 03:05 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Ev, I'm glad you received the BQ issue. I haven't received mine yet. Hopefully in the next few days. Also happy you liked my story. Last December they told me the issue was full, but that they wished to hold my story in case space opened up. Then, Marilyn Edwards, the Editor-in-Chief, contacted me this October to say they were fitting it in and the rest is happy history.

Cindyb,
Congratulations on the surprise check for a reprint. The Bluffton group has surprised me with checks for reprints several times. And, every time I received a contributor's copy when the magazine's issue (BQ, FFK or Hopscotch) was published. I don't see your poem in the Dec/Jan issue of Hopscotch (I have a contributor's copy of that). It might be in the current BQ (once I get my copy I'll check), but more likely it will be in either the next FFK (Jan/Feb '11), or the next Hopscotch or BQ (both Feb/March '11).

Guy
#100 - December 13, 2010, 07:21 PM
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) coming this summer from RR Books

Poster Plus
Thanks, Guy. I'll start watching my mailbox for another surprise!
#101 - December 14, 2010, 08:59 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hey Michelle, pop your head over onto the other Jan thread ... I crowed for you. Great story! Congrats. It is fun to write shorts ...

Oooh, nice Cindy to get free money/reprints in the mail.

Vijaya
#102 - December 14, 2010, 09:23 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Cindy:
They reprinted a puzzle of mine without my knowing ahead of time.  I received the check, then a week or so later the contributor copy. So I would think your copy will be on its way soon. :D
#103 - December 14, 2010, 09:51 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

shoniker

Shoniker, there may be some threads on that question if you do a search here on the Blue Board.  I know I've read articles addressing that topic, but can't remember where--maybe on ICL; you might check there.  One of the differences is the number of illustrations that are needed to make the story work.  If you can get by with maybe just one or two then you have a magazine story.  If the story requires 12-24 then you've got a pb.  In between those numbers?  Then you may need to adjust your story some, either adding or subtracting, to make it go one way or the other.

:thankyou
I will check this out
#104 - December 14, 2010, 07:28 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
 :congratulations  to Jody, Michelle and Sara on your publications in Highlights. I'll have to check them out.

Guy
#105 - December 14, 2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks, everybody and congrats back atcha! Sara, that's a great Pro Knows piece! My kids were really inspired--lots of artwork going on around here!

Vijaya, I'm headed to the other thread. Thanks for giving me a shout out!
#106 - December 14, 2010, 09:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Nice work, everyone!

:party5

Jody
#107 - December 15, 2010, 05:00 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
Wondering- several of the e-zines are now only paying through Pay-pal. I do not have an account, and do not know if I want one. I really don't understand how it all works. I did have a false charge on my credit card bill that involved pay-pal somehow, so I'm really leery of it. Have any of you had problems with it?
#108 - January 14, 2011, 12:45 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Wondering- several of the e-zines are now only paying through Pay-pal. I do not have an account, and do not know if I want one. I really don't understand how it all works. I did have a false charge on my credit card bill that involved pay-pal somehow, so I'm really leery of it. Have any of you had problems with it?

Cindy, I've had Paypal several years now and haven't had any problems. They do, however, take a small transaction fee from every payment. For example, last week I had a couple $15 sales, and Paypal charged a .74 transaction fee in each case.

Guy
#109 - January 14, 2011, 01:40 PM

shoniker

Getting ready to send me very FIRST magazine submission.  Glad to be officially joining all you wonderful folks and will continue to stay in the trenches and maybe the "No News Is Killing Me" until I hear something back.   Or until the magazine is published and I realize I am not featured in it.  :snork
Until then, I am already researching for my next sub.

:crossedfingers

#110 - January 14, 2011, 08:51 PM
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:03 PM by shoniker »

C. Lee

A month ago I would have said no, but I got a wild hair and wrote a non-fiction piece for Stories For Children and subbed it. I really love that online magazine and I like to support it. I found I missed writing those short pieces. They're very satisfying.
#111 - January 20, 2011, 03:18 PM

Poster Plus

I received some surprise money in my mailbox from the Bluffton group- for a reprint of a poem, Limited Vision. They did not tell me where they were reprinting it. I don't know if they send contributor copies for reprints. Those of you who have received issues, could you look to see if that poem is in them? Thanks!

I never have received a magazine with this poem reprinted in it. I got the check back in Dec.  Maybe the money was just a Christmas gift!
#112 - February 17, 2011, 05:57 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Hi Cindy,

I have contributor copies of the Oct/Nov, Dec/Jan and Feb/March issue of Boys' Quest and your poem isn't in any of them. I also have contributor copies of the Fun For Kidz Jan/Feb issue and the Hopscotch Dec/Jan issue and your poem isn't in those either. Maybe it WAS just a Christmas gift :)  Or maybe it was in/or will be in another issue...?

Guy

I never have received a magazine with this poem reprinted in it. I got the check back in Dec.  Maybe the money was just a Christmas gift!
:reaction
#113 - February 18, 2011, 02:17 PM

Lizardmaker

I still write short stories for magazines, but my acceptances come almost exclusively in e-zines. Not much money, but it keeps me trying lots of types of stories and keeps my name out there.
#114 - May 01, 2011, 02:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Ooh, glad I found this thread.  I am just printing out batches of poems to submit to Cricket and Highlights, after what seems like an eternity of not subbing to magazines.  Well, scratch that...I did ship off my first "getting feet wet" batch a month ago, to get the lovely form rejection letter...so NOW I feel like I'm back in the game. ;)

Glad to see there are other magazine writers out there!  I realized I had been out of the loop for too long, when I was staring at the Highlights contributor guidelines, chewing my nails and deliberating, "Address the cover letter to Christine French Clark?  Or Manuscript Coordinator?"  :confused2

I write poetry, and for me, magazines are the way to get those single, agonized-over-every-word poems that don't seem to fit into a particular collection out to the world.  I love writing for them.  I don't love the wait times.  I don't love the form rejection letters.  I do love Bear Cards and kind words and, most of all, contracts.  :)

Here's hoping I see one of those again soon!

Jen
#115 - May 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN--AND OTHER SPINE-TINGLING POEMS (Marshall Cavendish 2010)
CIRCUS TRAIN! (Two Lions, Spring 2015)

Vicki Moss

:turtlego: My first published magazine article was in Boys' Quest Magazine - "Turtles Wearing Girdles" - written in rhyme which they tell you not to do - and I still broke in to the market. While trying to work on novels, I find that magazine writing keeps me going, seeing those checks coming in - though the pay won't pay the monthy bills - the checks encourage me to keep writing. Trying to break into Hopscotch was even tougher because so many people write for girls - but I managed to do it. With the magazine sales, I was able to get my website up and going with a Kids' Korner. Many sales later, I have a book out "How to Write for Kids' Magazines - while working on a debut novel." And from those published articles and my book, I've done author visits and managed to get paying speaking gigs for conference workshops. Plus, the editors at Hopscotch and Boys' Quest loved my book. So don't ever discount writing for magazines. It's been great for me!  One article I wrote was accepted by a kids' horse magazine in Canada but then they said they would hold it because they first had to publish Canadian writers. I never heard back, and still don't know if they ever used that article or not. I learned a hard lesson there. But I would encourage everyone to keep writing for magazines. Sometimes, writing those 500 word articles is good practice and helps keep your writing tight for novels. ~cheering you on!

Vicki H. Moss
author, How to Write for Kids' Magazines
www.livingwaterfiction.com       
#116 - June 07, 2011, 07:52 AM

Attending a Highlights magazine writers workshop at the Barn in Boyds Mills, PA got me all excited to continue writing for magazines!  It was so good to meet Lou Warynicia of the Cobblestone magazine group, who is so proud and enthusiastic about the magazine business, and to meet Rich Wallace, who has dozens of books to his credit but still writes the Timbertoes strip for Highlights, out of his fondness for magazines in general and Highlights in particular.  I came out of that workshop with a new respect for magazines, and pride in the writing I do for them.
#117 - May 05, 2012, 10:27 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I write for magazines, but then I'm fairly new to children's writing, and that was the easiest way for me to break in. I plan to stick with it, though. I like having short pieces to work on; they're a nice break from the marathon of novel-writing and exercise my brain in different ways.
#118 - May 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

spochron

I write for magazines! Highlights and Science News for Kids (which is on-line only) are regular clients. I've just started writing for Muse. Yey! These are all non-fiction pieces. I'm working on a YA novel right now and am shopping around a MG.
#119 - May 27, 2012, 07:00 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Attending a Highlights magazine writers workshop at the Barn in Boyds Mills, PA got me all excited to continue writing for magazines!  It was so good to meet Lou Warynicia of the Cobblestone magazine group, who is so proud and enthusiastic about the magazine business, and to meet Rich Wallace, who has dozens of books to his credit but still writes the Timbertoes strip for Highlights, out of his fondness for magazines in general and Highlights in particular.  I came out of that workshop with a new respect for magazines, and pride in the writing I do for them.
Good to see you here Deb! Can't wait for my next dose of Highlights workshop inspiration. :)
#120 - May 29, 2012, 12:12 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

Members: