SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Market for text book stories? Accelerated Reading program stories?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
As a teacher of 4th and 5th grades language arts over the past 32 years, I know lots about public school reading text books.  Where do the companies such as Houghton Mifflin, etc.  get the stories?  There are many wonderful stories in these books and I recognize many of the authors.  Was just wondering if there is a market for this type of story.....since most of them are certainly longer than picture book stories, but shorter than MG novels.  Do they take excerpts from novels or can a writer submit stories to these companies?  And, what about stories for the Accelerated Reader program? Can a writer submit to this type of company?  :thankyou

#1 - August 31, 2010, 05:47 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
There are people who make their living from writing textbooks.  We have at least one writer here who started that way.  Maybe she'll chime in.  As for the stories, you should be able to look at any particular textbook and tell where the stories come from.  There'll be a page somewhere listing the source for each piece.  Sometimes textbook companies buy reprint rights from magazines like Highlights.

I know that most of the textbook companies also write tests and they get stories for tests from freelance writers who write through companies that provide such material.  Lillian Kay Pickles Pluta lkp?  You out there?  She has written scads of that kind of material.

I'm forgetting the names of some of those companies . . . ah well, someone will chime in.

#2 - August 31, 2010, 06:00 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thank you, Anne Marie.  It has been a couple of years since I was actually in the classroom and I don't have access to a textbook now.  Should have noticed when I had a room full of them, right?  Guess I was too busy keeping the peace.  But, anyway, hopefully someone will have more info.   
#3 - August 31, 2010, 07:21 AM

The textbooks I used when I taught reading (just a couple of years ago) used excerpts of novels and articles from magazines. I think that was Houghton Mifflin.  You can get into educational writing, but it takes a little bit to figure out how to do that, then takes a little while longer for them to pick you up. That might lead to writing some of the teacher materials or supplemental things between stories.
#4 - August 31, 2010, 08:26 AM

Poster Plus
As far as I know Accelerated Reader is all based on published books. But I don't know too much about it except my sons' former school used it for the Reading grade.

Some schools only use it for extra reading, but in their school .. it was mandatory and part of the grade. And all I remember is they had to read books off the AR list and accumulate a certain number of points in a certain number of weeks. I don't recall independently written stories being part of the program.
#5 - August 31, 2010, 08:30 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
My son is in 3rd grade right now and uses the Accelerated Reader program. It works the way Lillian described. He reads published books (pretty much everything he has ever read is in their system) and then takes a test on them in order to accumulate points. The kids do take a reading test at the beginning of the year to determine what their point goal for the quarter will be. I have never seen that test, so perhaps there are stories on there that are like the ones from the textbooks you're referring to, but I'm not sure.
#6 - August 31, 2010, 10:49 AM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks, guys, for all the feedback.  I'll look into it a little more as well. 
#7 - August 31, 2010, 03:29 PM

Members: