SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writers who were published after the age of 40

Discussion started on

I sold my first book at 47.  I was 49 when it was published.
#91 - September 17, 2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

The contract for my novel beat my AARP card by 3 days.
'Nuff said.
 :smile

I shred those AARP cards every time they come.  I will never retire--from writing, that is.
#92 - September 17, 2010, 09:25 PM

madlibjen

Love, love, love this thread. I found it incredibly inspiring, especially as I approach my 42nd birthday. Thank you all so much for sharing your successes.
#93 - September 20, 2010, 12:26 PM

iyerani

Love this thread!

Very hopeful for fiction publication.

42 here!

:redflower
#94 - September 20, 2010, 02:32 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I joined AARP for some of the great discounts you can get by flashing the card with your name on it. Check out the list sometime:  motel rates, etc. 

Save those $$$ to spend on books!
#95 - September 20, 2010, 03:27 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

What a great thread topic! Write on, everybody... it's never too late!
#96 - September 20, 2010, 04:52 PM

deegarret

My debut came out three weeks ago, and it's been a number of years since my 40th birthday. Sigh, and I felt so old on it. Silly me.
#97 - September 20, 2010, 06:29 PM

Erm, silly observation here, guys.  I just looked at some of your posts, then your profiles as a comparitive.  Hardly any of you "reveal" your true age. I think tere are a lot more "oldies" than you would first assume.  Perhaps "maturitists" should be a word used.  Not quite so harsh.
By the way, what's so good about life at 40?
#98 - September 21, 2010, 01:40 AM

I dunno, but I'd be happy to be 40 again...
#99 - September 21, 2010, 05:31 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Erm, silly observation here, guys.  I just looked at some of your posts, then your profiles as a comparitive.  Hardly any of you "reveal" your true age. I think tere are a lot more "oldies" than you would first assume.  Perhaps "maturitists" should be a word used.  Not quite so harsh.

What's good about being over 40 for me is not being quite so tied up in my own underwear as I was in my twenties and earlier thirties, so to speak--having a sense of perspective, having experience, having more of an ability to step out of my own head and into other peoples'.  The beginnings of wisdom, I suppose.  Or at least I hope so. :yup
#100 - September 21, 2010, 05:43 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

It's interesting to me that I had to have decades of life experience before I could successfully write from an 11-year old's perspective.
#101 - September 21, 2010, 05:54 AM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:20 AM by Lunchbox »

Mike Jung

Many, many things. I'm happily married, I have a beautiful, whipsmart daughter and a son on the way. I'm gainfully employed, and I'm not in a state of crisis with homeownership like so many people unfortunately are. I know myself better than I ever have, and I'm capable of doing the things I need to stay healthy and sane, which hasn't always been true. I understand my limitations better than I ever have, and have a much stronger sense of when to test them, when to try and expand them, and when to accept them. I know people who enrich my life in a multitude of ways, and that includes the blueboarders. And, last but definitely not least, I've had a very good year in terms of writing, and my dream of becoming a published, professional author feels more possible and real than it ever has.
#102 - September 21, 2010, 06:27 AM

Here, here, Mike! Well said.

#103 - September 21, 2010, 06:53 AM
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

I started writing for children at 42, I sold my first book at 46, it will come out next year, I'll be 49!
#104 - September 21, 2010, 06:56 AM
10 Turkeys in the Road, Marshall Cavendish, Scholastic, Amazon 2011
The Lake Where Loon Lives, Islandport Press 2014
TOUCHDOWN, MeeGenius 2014

Mike Jung

Here, here, Mike! Well said.

Aw shucks... :)
#105 - September 21, 2010, 10:35 AM

Ok, now I don't feel completely horrified at the fact that I will be there in less than three years time.  What I will be doing is entirely different, but I doubt my name will be on a book cover.  Sigh... :knotted love this. 
Still, at least there are few of us around. A good club.
#106 - September 21, 2010, 10:53 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Getting The Call two days before my birthday totally took the sting out of turning 50.
#107 - September 21, 2010, 05:32 PM
Jody Feldman
The Seventh Level
The Gollywhopper Games series
HarperCollins/Greenwillow
www.jodyfeldman.com
Twitter @jodyfeldman

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Many, many things. I'm happily married, I have a beautiful, whipsmart daughter and a son on the way. I'm gainfully employed, and I'm not in a state of crisis with homeownership like so many people unfortunately are. I know myself better than I ever have, and I'm capable of doing the things I need to stay healthy and sane, which hasn't always been true. I understand my limitations better than I ever have, and have a much stronger sense of when to test them, when to try and expand them, and when to accept them. I know people who enrich my life in a multitude of ways, and that includes the blueboarders. And, last but definitely not least, I've had a very good year in terms of writing, and my dream of becoming a published, professional author feels more possible and real than it ever has.

Lovely response, Mike.
#108 - September 21, 2010, 06:22 PM

Poster Plus
I agree. Loved what you said, Mike.  And how you said it!  Bravo!!!
#109 - September 21, 2010, 08:19 PM

jenniferfisher

Patricia Polacco didn't start writing until she was 41. Add to that time to perfect her craft and sell her work....there's hope for me!
#110 - September 22, 2010, 06:09 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
I am sixteen. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :moose
#111 - September 22, 2010, 07:23 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I wrote my first novel at 40 and my first YA came out at 43. Yes, I just admitted that in public.
#112 - September 22, 2010, 08:26 PM
Transcendence (Walker) - June 2012
Sequel (Walker) - June 2013
Dirty Little Secrets (Walker) - Feb 2010
6:00 in SF - 2009
www.cjomololu.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland

Wonderful, Mike!
#113 - September 23, 2010, 02:32 PM

Wonder why "life begins at 40".  It's a long time before you really actually realise you are alive, don't you think? Sorry, bad few days.
#114 - September 25, 2010, 11:05 AM

TripleG

A woman in my writer's group in San Antonio many years ago got her first book published at age 74. It was an adult novel. She was too busy doing other things before that.
#115 - September 29, 2010, 08:38 AM

Mike Jung

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Wonder why "life begins at 40".  It's a long time before you really actually realise you are alive, don't you think? Sorry, bad few days.

Sorry you're having a rough time, Fiona. I don't know that it's about "life beginning at 40" so much - we have plenty of authors and illustrators here who started successful careers much earlier than that, and they are stellar examples of how it's possible to realize your dreams right off the bat! I think one of my thoughts when starting this thread was that life doesn't END at 40. Or later than 40, as so many have pointed out. Life continues at 40, and life can continue to get better. It's possible to realize your dreams early in life, but it's also possible to realize them later! I feel very lucky to be pursuing a dream in a creative field for which that's true. It's not too late, you know?
#116 - September 29, 2010, 08:54 AM
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:59 AM by Mike Jung »

Well, I am trying my darndest to come up with an awesome 40th present for my dear friend John, who has put up an awful lot of  :toilet in the fourteen years we have lived together, but he has always been the most supportive. He knows more than anyone that I value writing.  Quote: "I don't understand most of what you talk about, but I know you feel the same when I jabber about soccer".  It's a kind of respect.  Something I don't get from my family, because I have dared to mention on occassion.  I simply shouldn't be writing for children at my age.
THAT'S why I like it here.  I don't feel so immature.   Yesterday and today were good and thanks for your support. :grouphug2
#117 - September 29, 2010, 10:52 AM

Hi Mike! Great idea for a thread. It's encouraging to know that us old people (I'm 49) can still write for yong people and publish. Maybe others had successful careers that slowed them down. My story's a bit different.   :car

Believe it or not, I worked in NYC offices from 20-30, became a professional belly-dancer in Egypt from 30-39, but got too old.  :medusa So I started singing. (No kidding.) I sang in Egyptian resort hotels from 40-48, but got too old, again:medusa Now I'm writing -- a profession that no one can take away from me because I'm too old or too fat or not pretty enough!

Although I've only published short stories in the past year -- I LOVE it -- and am working on several books.  Maybe I'll be published by the time I'm 50!
:smile
#118 - October 03, 2010, 07:58 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
How about reaching for publication before age 60? Still in my forties, but since I'm an aspiring PB writer/illustrator it could be a while. I had a poem or two published when I was a teen and a few more in my twenties and thirties.

If it happens, it happens. But, I've met some rockin' folks while trying. (Rockin' as in rockin' good . . . not rockin' chairs, but they're cool too, got a couple on my front porch). :partytime :old
#119 - October 08, 2010, 06:34 AM
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:52 AM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

ara

I was 41 when my first book came out. I've done the arithmetic on some authors and also noticed how many of you are saying the same thing: Early 40s seems to be a fairly prime time for debut authors.
:star2 :hearts :partytime

Just what I needed to hear.

Thanks for starting this thread, Mike!  :thankyou
#120 - October 12, 2010, 11:02 PM

Members: