SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Rebus

Discussion started on

newriter

I am new at this and this may sound silly but...what is a rebus?
#1 - November 03, 2003, 01:28 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
A rebus is a story for beginning readers in which some nouns are replaced by or printed beside pictures of that object.

Like this:

My :) is huge.

or

My :) pumpkin is huge.

You can see them in Highlights, Ladybug and other magazines for that age group.

Anne Marie
#2 - November 03, 2003, 02:13 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Spring 2019: Precious Baby (Beaming Books) and Beep! Beep! Special Delivery (Clear Fork)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
A rebus is a story in which concrete nouns are illustrated within the story.  This structure engages young children to "read along" with the text.  You see rebuses in Highlights, Ladybug, Children's Playmate, etc, but each magazine has their own style.

Here's an example:

:duh: Della popped the  :balloongroup: balloons and ran away with the  :cake:.  cake.  Then,   :duh: Della ate the  :cake: cake in the   :bubblebath: bathtub.

lol  Of course the story you write needs a beginning, middle, end.  Most endings have some sort of twist or surprise!  Go read a bunch of them and have fun!
~Della
#3 - November 03, 2003, 02:15 PM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery / Precious Baby  / Huggle Wuggle, Bedtime Snuggle

HB

Anne Marie, you know that those pumpkins are soon going to get replaced. And whatever they get replaced with might make for an interesting rebus if someone reads this thread in a month.  :o
#4 - November 04, 2003, 09:34 AM

Members: