SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Line art for MG book - submission requirement?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Hi everyone. I do line art and I'm trying to figure out what I should send out with my MG book submission. The only things I can find pertain to picture books...does anyone know what to submit? Is it still three pics of the same character in different positions/environments? I've done about a half dozen, but they are mostly of different characters.
#1 - September 26, 2010, 03:53 AM

If you mean the kind of traditional middle grade book like, say, Ramona or Harriet the Spy, that includes line art that is a charming but not vital part of the story, then you have to sell the book on the basis of the book alone. The line art would be something that gets included or not included at the publisher's and art director's discretion much further down the line, but is not the first (or even fifth) concern so early in the game.

If you mean the kind of middle grade book like "wimpy kid" where the art is vital to the story, in other words, the story will not make sense without it, then you'll have to include it with the text in pdf form.

(Or am I misunderstanding the question?)
#2 - September 26, 2010, 04:35 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Poster Plus
Hi Literaticat! You understand my question completely. The book doesn't NEED illustrations, and that would certainly be up to the publisher. Thing is, my background includes cartooning...in fact, my only paid writing credit is a comic strip. So, if possible, I'd like my book to include illustrations.

My agent said she's going to tell potential publishers that I want to illustrate the book but she's not sending any as part of the initial submission. I just want to have the material ready for when/if a potential publisher asks for material...I don't want to be rushing to prepare something at the last second or submit something that's not appropriate (and then get el-rejecto'd!)

#3 - September 26, 2010, 06:09 AM

OK! Well, this is certainly something that your agent should confirm or deny, but it seems to ME that you'd be showing them artwork probably after they've either expressed A LOT of interest, or perhaps more likely already bought your book. Your agent wants to sell them on the book first -- once they love that and spend money on it, the rest is a conversation that you can have down the line.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much, just prepare a sample or two from the text, and some character sketches, that should be sufficient to get the point across. But... don't be upset if they decide to go with somebody else, or NOT include illustrations -- sadly, line art in mg books is not quite as common as it was 10+ years ago. (Not that it can't happen! Just that it is not ubiquitous anymore.)
#4 - September 26, 2010, 06:19 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Poster Plus
Thanks, Literaticat. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Like you said, my agent wants to sell the book first and worry abut the illustrations later. Based on what you said, what I've already done is probably enough.
#5 - September 26, 2010, 07:25 AM

Members: