Submission Question

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hello Fellow Magazine Writers,

When submitting to kids' magazines, which publications do you put at the top of a manuscript's itinerary?  How do you choose?

Thoughts?

Laura
#1 - October 01, 2010, 02:37 PM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT, ARK (Zonderkidz 2014)
GOODNIGHT, MANGER  (Zonderkidz 2015)

Most of the time, when I study the magazines, one is going to fit best. I send the manuscript there first. If they reject it, then I see which other ones might fit. I tailor the article to the next one that I think I can fit.

If you're asking if you should aim for smaller publishers or free magazines as a beginner, you certainly can. It tends to be easier to get into those places, so you can accumulate some writing credits. However, don't be afraid to aim high. If you think something fits Highlights, for example, send it in.
#2 - October 01, 2010, 05:25 PM

Heidi

I went to my library and pulled down an example of each kid's mag to see which articles I liked the most (pictures, design aside) ... and I began from there. Then, I made a list and looked up their submission guidelines and began to write ...

Some articles I definitely tailored to a certain magazine's style (Highlight's, for example, is a great market, pretty conservative, and requires a certain kind of investigation and materials -- so when I had those materials, and my research all in order, I sent the article to them). Other articles, I had written and just had to modify for the magazine's specs.

Good luck!!
It's a tedious process, but it's worth it. And, I agree, about getting your feet wet with local mags, getting to know editors, writing for local publications ... AS WELL AS shooting for the stars!!

#3 - October 02, 2010, 09:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I read a lot of Babybug and Ladybug, and High Five (to my own kids) and I find that the stuff I'm writing just comes out "sounding" like it would fit in one of those magazines. So I usually shoot for those magazine groups first. Then if I get a rejection I think about where else it might fit, but that takes some research for me since I'm not a regular reader of any other kids magazines. It probably would help if I were!

Carrie
#4 - October 04, 2010, 09:27 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Members: