SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Subbing Previously Rejected Stories to the Same Magazine?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I have a couple stories that have been sitting on my computer for some time since their last rejection. Reading them now, I see beginner mistakes that I think I can fix. Is it okay to revise a story and submit it to a magazine that rejected it previously, even if there’s no change in the overall plot (i.e. The same problem gets solved in basically the same way by the same character. The main change is in the quality of the writing.)?

I know it wouldn’t be wise to send it to the same magazine right after receiving a rejection, but say a year has passed. Would it be okay then? Or should I just focus on new markets?

Thanks for your help!
#1 - October 07, 2010, 07:39 AM

Chicklit

Most of my subbing experience comes from the lit journal market and not the kid lit markets, but I'd sub other markets first and, if it doesn't get picked up elsewhere, submit to the magazines that rejected it. Of course, if the magazines said that they'd look at a revision, then definitely sub to them first. But if they didn't give other places a chance with it. You might find that what wasn't a good fit for the first places is an excellent fit for another. Good luck!
#2 - October 07, 2010, 08:08 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Chicklit, thank you for the great advice. I'll check out some other markets first.
 :thankyou
#3 - October 07, 2010, 10:30 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
If you're really truly sure it's now of professional quality and is well-suited to the particular magazine, then I think it's worth a shot.  I've known people to have had success doing just that.  But be really truly sure. :)
#4 - October 07, 2010, 10:49 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks, Anne Marie! It’s nice to hear that it’s okay to resubmit if I’m 100% sure that the revised story is now professional quality and well-suited for a particular magazine. It’s also encouraging to know it’s been done successfully before.  Thanks again for your help!  :love
#5 - October 07, 2010, 11:39 AM

Hi Stacy!
Sorry to be the nay-sayer, but I've read many editors blogs (and the blogs/submission-guidelines of magazines and ezines) and one of their pet peeves is people who rewrite a story that was rejected and send it again.  Unless the original rejection pointed out specific things they didn't like and invited you to re-submit that ms, I suggest you look for greener pastures.  (Most rejections encourage you to submit again, but they don't mean with that particular story.) (Just FYI, I've published about 10 of my stories in the past year and belong to several groups who are just interested in publishing in zines. This same topic has come up occasionally and the advice not to submit has been overwhelming.)

Just because one (or five) editors rejected you doesn't mean the story's bad. Everybody has different tastes and that goes for editors, too. I recently had a story rejected 5 times and then accepted by Pill Hill Press for an anthology.  It wasn't re-written or revised in the interim. Like Cinderella's Prince Charming, you just have to keep looking and submitting until you find the right foot for the glass slipper. It's out there - just keep submitting!

Also, it's always good to rewrite old things. If you looked at it and decided it can be improved, then do it! I did that with one of mine and it finally sold to a Blood Bound Books anthology. We all improve as we go along and our writing shows it. I sometimes re-write things after 2-3 months, although some stories I've had to give up on. But I learned from the experience of writing them.

Laura
#6 - October 10, 2010, 02:01 AM
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:05 AM by Laura_6 »
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
New!
Thanks for your input and encouragement, Laura. I know I definitely don't want to annoy an editor. And thanks for the reminder that even if a story never sells, the process of writing and revising still helps me grow as a writer.  :flowers2
#7 - October 10, 2010, 11:10 AM
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:00 PM by Stacy »

Members: