SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

time travel concepts

Discussion started on

Ilanna

I'm reading Connie Willis' Blackout and she uses the concepts of "flash time" and "real time" in time travel. Does anyone know what flash time is? I've never heard that term before anywhere and not in her other books either.
#1 - October 18, 2010, 01:47 PM

Poster Plus
OMG, there's a new Connie Willis in her time-travel universe?! *ardent fan of Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of The Dog* How did I miss this!!!

... sorry, though, nothing substantive to add in terms of your question! :embarrassed2 I don't recognise those terms, either, from her other books. Does the context suggest an explanation at all?
#2 - October 18, 2010, 02:19 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Two new ones, Emily G.  There's a thread about them in Book Talk here (beware of spoilers): http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=42980.0
#3 - October 18, 2010, 02:24 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
Two! *swoons* Thanks, Marissa. Still can't believe I missed this news. Well, I know what I'm buying next ...  :yup
#4 - October 18, 2010, 02:44 PM
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:36 AM by Emily G »

RyanBruner

I read an excerpt.  From what I can tell, "flash time" means you jump back in time, live in that time for an extended period then flash back to the same moment you left, effectively aging you in the present.  Real-time, then, would involve going back in time, spending, say, 2 months, and then returning to the "present" two months later than you left, making the amount of time you appear to age in the present consistent with the amount of time you're in the past.

I have a time travel short story that plays on a very similar idea.
#5 - October 29, 2010, 12:06 PM

Members: