SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When Magazine Buys All Rights...

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
When a magazine buys all rights, do they ever resell the article or repackage it as a book?  If so, does the author get any money?  I am thinking in particular of the "Big Guys" who have large publishing companies behind them like Highlights and the Carus magazines. Thanks in advance for your help understanding this.  :thankyou
#1 - November 16, 2010, 12:53 PM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

From what I understand, they legally have no obligation to pay you anything if they reuse or repackage the material. However, I've heard that some places that buy all rights do give the author more money if they use the material again. But, they really don't have to.
#2 - November 16, 2010, 01:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
It depends on your contract. Some keep the rights, others don't. One woman I know of had her story published (I think it was Highlights but it may have been Cricket/a Cobblestone mag) and then it was picked up by a publisher. I think that's rare, but you can negotiate the rights on your story if they want to publish it.
#3 - November 16, 2010, 01:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Highlights gives you some of the money when they resell an article. It's lovely to get the mail and find an unexpected check. Laurie
#4 - November 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

ShannonH

Highlights for Children published my story and then sold it to Harcourt School Publishers. Though they bought all rights, they sent me the check!

On the other hand, Carrus bought an article from me and published it in Cricket. They later published it a second time in ASK, and I didn't receive any additional payment. I was fine with that. Actually glad the article was getting more circulation. My only gripe is they didn't tell me it was being reissued. I wouldn't have even known if a writer friend hadn't read it and sent me a congratulatory email.
#5 - November 17, 2010, 06:47 PM

Avvy

I've had the same experiences as everyone else. Highlights is awesome about compensating you if they resell/republish your articles or stories. They are truly a top notch publisher.

FYI - I've sold First North American Serial rights to the Bluffton group and they always contact me when an educational company has approached them about using my material. After giving permission for reprints, the Bluffton group sent payment as well.  :goldstar
#6 - November 25, 2010, 07:25 PM

ghost

Curious. What, if any, problems have you encountered selling very limited rights to magazines?
#7 - November 26, 2010, 01:36 PM

Members: