SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Thumbnail or not?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Recently I have noticed illustrator website that instead of the usual "click or drag over a thumbnail" to view a portfolio piece, are just having a very long page of their work that you can scroll up and down on.
benefits to this is since you don't have to include thumbnails- your pictures can be bigger- and there isn't anything else around to distract from the picture- and I would think AD would love this fast way of looking at online portfolios-
anybody else debate about doing this- or have other tricks for fast loading online portfolios with big pictures?
#1 - November 18, 2010, 06:52 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Guilty on the scrolling portfolio . . . I debate on doing it the other way . . . but right now it's so easy to change the images on my site. Sometimes I play with the templates my server offers, but one day, it may get fancier. I don't know what the preference is . . . but I have heard what matters most is getting images on the first page so at first glance there is a good representation of your art. I'll try to find a link to paste here I stumbled on some time ago.
#2 - November 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Interesting you bring this up because I've been looking at tonnes of illustrator sites lately and I wondered about the thumbnail thing. It irritates me because I can't see the whole picture in the thumbnail (usually), just a part of it. So until I click on it, I don't know whether it's interesting to me or not. I prefer the scrolling idea!

But then I'm not an agent or an editor... I'm not even an illustrator!
#3 - November 18, 2010, 07:47 PM

Penn Bender

I think I prefer thumnails just because there such a variety that can be seen in a glimpse, even if it's just bits and pieces. I don't know how many people have the patience to make their way through each piece though.
#4 - November 19, 2010, 06:40 AM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
The problem with a scrolling portfolio is amount of time it takes to load (at least that used to be the problem, but for people with lots of images, it might still be a problem). I'd love to do a scrolling portfolio, but I have way too many images to do it.

When I recently redesigned my site, I broke the portfolio up into four sections so that I could show more art - all with thumbnails. You never know what's going to capture the interest of an art director or editor, so I like that I can show lots of art. I'm sure there's a different way and probably a better way to show my work, but this is how it looks now (until the next time I redesign the site) - http://www.sruble.com/portfolio.html
#5 - November 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Fun sight Stephanie- I like all the doodles in your background and the colors are fun- I didn't think of thel load time- and I agree that having a lot of portfolios helps with the quanitiy of the pictures- I do that too- thanks for the opinion- think I will keep mine as it is too!
#6 - November 19, 2010, 04:04 PM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I use thumbnails on my sites in two slightly different ways.

On my illustration site http://www.doublewillustrations.com The thumbnails preview when you rollover a number. To see the full image you click the number.

On my t-shirt design site http://www.doublewdesigns.net    The thumbnails and full views automatically appear as you roll over each section.

So I think it's more about your vision for your website and how you want your work presented. Load time is a big deal though. I have definitely gotten feedback from art directors in regards to load times and things like that.

#7 - November 21, 2010, 07:31 PM

Karl_Diaz

I found thumbnails a waste now a days. I understood a need of them when the majority of people were on a slow internet connection but now a days most people have a pretty fast connection. When I use to do web design I would monitor the profile of site visitors and adjust image sizes based on avg screen resolution, this would optimize the load times for all viewers.
#8 - November 23, 2010, 10:35 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Well, it's been awhile, but I finally saw the link once more about what not to do with your site . . . There was nothing about scrolling images, but there is a bit of concern about thumbnails that are too obscure.

There is a bit of sarcasim in the advice, but there are also a lot of good knowledge nuggets to collect.

http://www.linesandcolors.com/2007/05/31/how-not-to-display-your-artwork-on-the-web/
#9 - January 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
thanks Cynthia! This is great- and I wont have to try and explain website design anymore- I'll just send them here- you might want to repost it for author's websites in a more general post- we all could use some help!
#10 - January 26, 2011, 08:22 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Good Point Julia! I hadn't thought about it, but many of the statements are across the board pertaining to your home page/pop up's/domain names/your about page, etc.

Nice suggestion. I posted the link over on the Web discussions to give it some more exposure . . .  :bellydancer   :yup
#11 - January 26, 2011, 02:50 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Members: