SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

New to the Industry

Discussion started on

Karl_Diaz

Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum and new to the world of Illustration. My goal is to become a children book illustrator. Wondering if anyone had any pointer on building a portfolio and maybe some good ideas for exercises for fine tuning skills. As soon as I get a few Illustrations up I would love some critiques.

Thanks in advance!!
#1 - November 22, 2010, 06:57 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Karl-
Welcome-
Tip 1- puruse the boards for past illustrator advice-
Tip 2- buy the 2011 Childrens Writer and Illustrator market and read all the articles-
Tip 3- google illustrator website and study them
Tip 4 - set up a free blog and start posting illustrations-
Tip 5- participate in www.illustration friday- the weekly theme will help you build a porfolio-

oh and draw, draw, draw and draw some more!

Darrel Rees- How to be an Illustrator- is also a good book for the basics
if you look and google there are lots and lots of articles.
#2 - November 22, 2010, 07:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'm not an illustrator but I am doing a children's illustration course (weird, I know). I've looked around online and found tonnes of great sites for fine-tuning skills, but it all depends on what you're working with. Watercolours, digital, oils, pen and ink, pastels, collage or a mix of all of them?

You can find quite a lot of info about what to put in a portfolio from agents/editors' websites (I know Jennifer Laughran has some info on it on hers). I'm sure others will chime in with some links or info.

Good luck! Look forward to seeing your work!

Modified to add: oops, Julia, I posted at the same time as you... and you already 'chimed in' as I knew someone wise would!
#3 - November 22, 2010, 07:10 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Lynne Chapman, an children's illustrator in London cover all the steps to being an illustrator- yesterday on her blog- sorry she did not have a "static" link so here is her blog and it was the Nov 22  2010 post-

http://lynnechapman.blogspot.com/
#4 - November 23, 2010, 06:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Do not mean to take over the thread, but Julia K.- your work amazes me. You're really fantastic.

Karl_Diaz, this is an example of how you get noticed, and your work gets seen.
#5 - November 23, 2010, 10:28 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Ohhh gosh...217 mom- it was a process of elimination- I tried about every other medium and did everything the wrong way- then the lightbulb went off and tried fabric collage.
Play to your strengths- I could of kept wishing and been a really really bad painter- or frustrated pen and ink artist which I really wanted to be- still admire those who can push paint around successfully-  and get it right the first time- use an unforgiving medium- me - I have to be able to rip people's heads off and try try again!!!! But thank you.
#6 - November 23, 2010, 01:09 PM

Karl_Diaz

wow thanks so much for all the info. I will be putting it all in to effect over the next couple of weeks, I may have to wait on the books, low on funds right now but I'm all over the blogs and links. I started the illustration friday thing and I have a blog but it's just random art. Should I have a separate blog just focused on children book stuff?

If you would like to look at my blog:
http://karldiaz.blogspot.com/
#7 - November 23, 2010, 10:16 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Well you definitely have the skill-
I would suggest two things- one do not mix a blog of children's illustration and ..... raw "Conan the Barbarian" type comic book illustrations- and take off anything that is not 100% you- like the redraws of Hades from Hercules-  from Disney
Your little characters are fantastic and remind me of the illustrators like Loren Long or Dan Yaccarino.
It will be cool to see what you come up with for a childrens portfolio!
#8 - November 24, 2010, 06:15 AM

Members: