SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Question for you horsey people?

Discussion started on

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
My MC in the pony story has been given a pony by her dad (both she and her dad are completely inexperienced with horses). They've got property with a small stable and paddock and are keeping the horse there. But she's never ridden before and her mom wants her to take lessons. It turns out there's an equestrian centre down the road a ways, so she's going to take lessons there.

Which is more likely: Would she take the pony to the centre for her lesson? Or would she ride a school horse there?

Also, in the same neighbourhood there are three other girls who have horses. Would they be more likely to keep their horses at home or at the equestrian centre (especially if they're taking lessons there)?

Thanks!

Rue
#1 - November 28, 2010, 05:10 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

She might try to keep it home, then realize she needs help and move it to the equestrian center.  Boarding/riding stables are as much about the social atmosphere for horsey girls as about the learning (my experience anyway).  Might depend on her parent's income as well - boarding is more costly than keeping your horse at home.

As for lessons on her pony or a school horse, that depends on her pony.  Can she handle her pony?  Is her pony going under saddle?  Is the center helping her train the pony.  Perhaps she starts on her pony and then her instructor realizes she's over-horsed and switches her to a school horse?

Anyway, I have 5 horses, have ridden at stables and kept horses at home, let me know if you have more questions.
J.Ro
#2 - November 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Madjack

My daughter was eight or nine when she first took lessons and they had the horses there for her to ride.  I'm not sure which is more likely but it seems like a lot of work to load up the horse to take it for short lessons although I'm sure some people may do that.

I'm not sure about the other, I guess it depends on if those other families can afford to board their horses, it can be several hundred dollars a month. 
#3 - November 28, 2010, 05:42 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Thanks, J.Ro and BleeBonn! :)

At this point, my MC can't handle the pony at all. The pony is trained, but she's a brat and not really ideal for a complete novice.

I don't think she'd need to trailer the pony to the centre, though. It's just a short walk down a quiet country road. I was going to have her tack up the pony and lead her there.

My MC's dad isn't rich, but he's quite happy to pay for lessons and supplies and stuff to make his daughter happy. That is, until he loses his job. So she's only going to get a couple lessons before her dad can't afford it anymore. Then she's going to be on her own in the riding and horse care department.

I think I'll probably have the other girls board their horses. She'll meet them at the equestrian centre, then they can run into each other riding on the trails, etc. later.

Thanks!

Rue
#4 - November 28, 2010, 06:05 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
The story sounds like an Austrilian ( I think) show my daughter watched for years called "Saddle Club"- you might want to check that out and there is an organization she was involved with when she earning to ride English- which I assume you are wanting verse western-called "Pony Club" thats goal was to train kids and their ponies- they considered the training for both the girl and the horse at the same time-
#5 - November 28, 2010, 06:57 PM

sary

If you do have her walk her pony to the equestrian center, the pony is likely to act up on the way, especially when leaving the other horses to head home.  Or at least that's how the pony would act if she's anything like my first horse. I tried walking him to a nearby stable once. I think it took us two and a half hours to get home (ten-minute walk). He stepped on my foot about seven times. He screamed my ear off. He spun in circles. He almost got hit by a car. It was the first and last time I ever walked him to the stable. Hope that helps.
#6 - November 29, 2010, 05:24 AM

Z-cat

The story sounds like an Austrilian ( I think) show my daughter watched for years called "Saddle Club"-

Which was based on a series of books by Bonnie Bryant that I read when I was a kid  :moose

I second sary. If the kid can't handle the pony, she's very unlikely to walk her anywhere outside of a fenced paddock without some kind of catastrophe. (but that could work for your story!)
Most likely, she would take the pony to the stable, where they would train her and the pony (and you're talking $$$ there. Riding lessons, board for the pony, training for the pony, etc.) or she would ride one of the lesson horses at the stable.
#7 - November 29, 2010, 10:23 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Yep. Read the Saddle Club books when I was a kid too! :)

I should clarify, the pony is fine on the ground, she's just a total brat when my MC's in the saddle. That's when my MC can't handle her. And she's not dangerous, just uses every trick in the book to get her off her back (y'know, low branches, fences, etc.  ::) ). And if it's going to take her two hours to get her home after the first lesson, all the better! ;)

Anyway, I think for the one or two lessons she'll be getting, leading the pony down the road to the stable will work.

Thanks guys! :)

Rue
#8 - November 29, 2010, 11:06 AM

You've already received lots of good input. Schools differ, I would lean toward her using a schooling horse (as what is most realistic) but using her own pony would work to. So to me, the question is, what works best for your book?

Sary, any possibility you and I owned the same pony? My first one was aptly named "Stormy!"
#9 - November 29, 2010, 11:17 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Thanks Michelle!

Maybe a bit of both would work? There's no way her dad would want to board the pony given they've got the stable and paddock at their house. But maybe after it's clear she's not going to get the pony to and from the lessons easily, they decide she should ride a school horse until she gets to be a better horse woman? Of course, all this isn't going to last anyway because her dad's going to lose his job.

Thanks again! You've given me a bunch of ideas for the next few chapters!

Rue
#10 - November 29, 2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks Michelle!

Maybe a bit of both would work? There's no way her dad would want to board the pony given they've got the stable and paddock at their house. But maybe after it's clear she's not going to get the pony to and from the lessons easily, they decide she should ride a school horse until she gets to be a better horse woman? Of course, all this isn't going to last anyway because her dad's going to lose his job.

Thanks again! You've given me a bunch of ideas for the next few chapters!

Rue

assuming its a 1 on 1 lesson (most are) she could do the lesson even on a bratty pony. They'd probably just start her off doing lunging (she's riding the horse, but there's a long (50-60') rope attached and someone stands in th emiddle of the ring. This would allow her to learn basic controls and balance/equitation, while keeping pony under control. It might also give you some great moment where she is able to ride solo for the first time...

Why not have the stables be literally next door? Most boarding stables allow yout o ride in their arena at any time for a $5-10 drop in fee, as long as you have a waiver on file.
#11 - November 29, 2010, 09:26 PM
Agent with D4EO Lit
Published by Penguin & Flux:
PRADA & PREJUDICE
YOU WISH
BUT I LOVE HIM
RIPPLE
IN TOO DEEP
DANGEROUS BOY

sary

Sary, any possibility you and I owned the same pony? My first one was aptly named "Stormy!"

Mine was INaptly named "Kid's Stuff."  HA! I suppose it's possible he had to change his name to escape an involuntary manslaughter charge at some point in his life ...  :shh

I read Saddle Club, too, by the way. Um ... I kind of still do.

Rue, I'd love to read this book when it's finished. Sounds fun!
#12 - November 30, 2010, 05:48 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Thanks, guys!!!

Sary, I'm glad to hear you think it sounds fun! I've been a bit worried that nobody would want to read about such a naughty little pony! I'll let you know when it's finished (hoping within the next couple months!). :)

Rue
#13 - November 30, 2010, 11:52 AM

Eeeerrr, raise your hand if you read everything horse related that you can get your hands on???   :old  (only raised hand I could find!)

I troll the thrift stores for pony books!  Old and new.
#14 - November 30, 2010, 11:57 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Hehe! Yeah, I still read pony books. I read them, then pass them on to my little sister, who's also horse nutty!

When I was a kid, I used to even read books that had a picture of a horse on the cover, just in case it happened to be in the book too!  :giddyup

Rue
#15 - November 30, 2010, 12:08 PM

Members: