SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

100 PB's every Picture Book writer should read?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Which picture books would be on your list of-- Picture Books Every Picture Book Writer Needs to Study--
#1 - November 29, 2010, 06:01 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Everything by Holly Keller, Pat Hutchins and Kevin Henkes, to start.
#2 - November 29, 2010, 06:08 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Blimey, that's a tough question! I'd suggest looking at the Newbery and Caldecott winners just as a starting point, as well as NYT bestsellers. Then you get a sense of literary and beautiful PBs, as well as commercial/marketable PBs (or both at the same time).

But I'd also suggest just reading ALL the PBs you can get your hands on. I borrow 15-20 new books each week, and read about 10 a day (to my daughter). It's good to read not-so-great PBs, so you can begin to figure out what makes a PB great and not so much.

If I had to choose the PBs that have taught me the most it would simply have to be the stories by authors/illustrators who I've read over and over again without wanting to scream (Julia Donaldson, Annette Tison, Maurice Sendak, Tomie dePaola, Ezra Keats, Babette Cole... there are probably more, but I can't think of them all!).
#3 - November 29, 2010, 07:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I was at a conference once and the speaker held up Officer Buckle and Gloria as a great example of how a PB is supposed to work . The text and pictures are completely interdependent -- one really can't work without the other, but together, they are wonderful!  Books by Mo Willems and Marla Frazee seem essential for keeping up with current trends.  I just read Marla Frazee's newest book Boss Baby, and it is absolutely hysterical.  Other than that, I agree with Siski -- reading many, many, many PB's (mostly newer) with a critical eye is even better than coming up with a particular list.
#4 - November 29, 2010, 07:22 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Wow! This is certainly an overwhelming topic. In my own collection, I have everything from classics, Maurice Sendak, Dr. Seuss, Margaret Wise Brown, Margery Williams, Robert L. May and Esphyr Slobodkina (Caps For Sale) to the present day, Kevin Henkes, Bonny Becker, Jane O'Connor, and then there's Jane Yolen, Helen Lester, Mo Willems, the list goes on and on...but I would say to study the award winners, they have definitely won for a reason! And of course read the ones you love, just for fun! They too, were worthy of publishing.
#5 - November 29, 2010, 07:38 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'll add everything by Lio Lionni, Eric Carle, Eve Bunting, Rosemary Wells, Peggy Rathman, Nancy Shaw ...

Vijaya
#6 - November 29, 2010, 09:53 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Karma Wilson  Books
Laura Joffe Numeroff
Mary Ann Hoberman
#7 - November 30, 2010, 07:11 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

lousears

Check out the Teacher and Student Choice Award Winners on the International Reading Association's website www.reading.org - they have lists from the past several years and it is a great resource for PBs that are loved by Teachers and Students.
Lou 
 :yup
#8 - November 30, 2010, 09:21 PM

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Poster Plus

Poster Plus
Thanks!

Keep adding to the list  :)

I just read this one -  shows a fun twist at the end for what the main character really wants!

TUCKER TOOK IT -- written & illustrated by Bruce van Patter

http://www.amazon.com/Tucker-Took-Bruce-Van-Patter/dp/159078698X
#10 - December 01, 2010, 08:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Liz, I just came across Elizabeth Bird's list of the top 100 PBs (voted for). Thought it might interest you:

http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/afuse8production/2009/05/16/top-100-picture-books-poll-results-1-101/

Obviously the people voting are adults, not children, so the list should be taken with a pinch of salt!
#11 - December 06, 2010, 11:39 AM

khudson3

I'm a little late to the party, but I love (and so do my kids) anything by Julia Donaldson. Also, Giraffes Can't Dance is wonderful. Another fave is Seven Silly Eaters.  I write rhyming PBs, so those are what I tend to gravitate to at the library

Krissy
#12 - January 11, 2011, 06:41 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
The New York City Public Library also puts together an annual list of what they consider the best children's books to read and share. Here's the link -  http://kids.nypl.org/reading/recommended.cfm

Laura

#13 - January 11, 2011, 09:01 AM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT ARK
 GOODNIGHT MANGER
LOVE IS KIND
 DIVA DELORES & THE OPERA HOUSE MOUSE

Add David Shannon to the list. His "Alice, the Fairy" and "Too Many Toys" have become cult classics with my girls.  :carrot
#14 - January 11, 2011, 05:51 PM

Poster Plus
 :biggrin:

THANKS!  for al the links & books you've all added!
#15 - January 11, 2011, 06:03 PM

Members: