SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How did those of you with published PBs receive the good news?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
Hi Blueboarders!

I'm sure someone will direct me to a thread that already answers this question, but I never get tired of reading good news from you all!  I was wondering how you discovered that your PB would be published.  Was it by email, snail mail or THE CALL?

Oh, and did you get the news from an agent or the publisher?

Just curious...I have a few manuscripts out there and I like to dream! :chesirecat
#1 - December 13, 2010, 10:13 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
By pony express, telepathic communication, tom toms, smoke signals, skywriting, and once--a message in a bottle.

:flower

Seriously, it used to be much more exciting.  I've had good news come by phone, letter, in person (editor came to see me).

But recently--almost always by email.  
#2 - December 13, 2010, 10:59 AM
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:04 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

pretty pink princess poster
Poster Plus
Only by email...well, I take that back. One time, I was discussing one of my books with my editor, then I asked about the newest one I'd sent and she said, "Oh yeah, yes." Sort of like I should have known. It was weird, but made me feel really relieved and very happy.  :mermaid (I love this mermaid icon!)
#3 - December 13, 2010, 12:55 PM
PBU
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Brianna Bright Ballerina Knight series

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Always by email. I've never even heard my agent's voice.
#4 - December 13, 2010, 03:43 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
The initial good news for both my PB contracts came as phone calls.  I now have an agent, so I don't know if that will change.  The phone calls weren't guarantees of a contract, but a we-are-interested-in-your-manuscript-is-it-still-available cautious wording.  I began celebrating anyway! 

Good luck!

Jean Reagan

#5 - December 13, 2010, 04:07 PM
HOW TO BABYSIT A GRANDPA--April 2012
Knopf Books for Young Readers
For the story behind the book, visit www.jeanreagan.com

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I sold Cowboy Camp through the slush pile. The offer came by way of email.

For most of the other books, my agent called me. One time, though, she posted a message on my FB page to call my agent because she had good news. :)
#6 - December 13, 2010, 05:51 PM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

My first sale was a slush sub and the editor called to tell me she was taking the ms to acquisitions. The next several were email. One of my sales this year was to an editor I had met at a SCBWI conference a few years ago (she critiqued a different ms and I'd been subbing to her since) and she called to tell me they were putting together an offer. I'm not a phone person and I sounded like an idiot on both phone calls, but they were very gracious- and it was a fun way to find out for sure!

Boni
#7 - December 13, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hush Little Dragon (Abrams)
I Had A Favorite Dress (Abrams)
The Class (Beach Lane)
and others
http://www.boniashburn.com

spider2387

:train mine was through email. i wanted the call :gaah
#8 - December 13, 2010, 07:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
For one, I got a call, a moment that I still regret because I sounded like such a fool and got them thinking I didn't want their offer. (I did this by asking the editor what one does about multiple submissions when you get an offer), I also had to listen to screaming children in the background,  :snork.

Now, at least if an editor calls, my kids are old enough to understand that this IS important and to kill each other in another room.

I think most of my WFH has been e-mail. And one interview for book that was local here at NASA.

Now to send out more stuff so I can imagine more calls.
#9 - December 14, 2010, 07:48 AM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Aud

My agent calls with the news. Once, the editor called before the agent and the agent felt so scooped! (I'm no longer with that agent, though it had nothing to do with the scooping.)
#10 - December 14, 2010, 04:21 PM

taradawn

I got little inklings via email because my editor sent my agent updates on her process with the book. Once a week we heard from her--that she was initially interested, that she was taking it to acquisitions, that she apologized for the process being so slow (but it seemed quick to me). When she sent my agent the offer, my agent called me. So hints via email, news via telephone.
#11 - January 28, 2011, 03:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm agented so there's usually a papertrail of e-mails leading up to the sale but my agent always calls me when the deal becomes official so we can squee on the phone together. She knows I'm a phone-a-phobe, though, and I MUCH prefer e-mail but I certainly don't mind squee-worthy phonecalls.  :EmoticonPhone:
#12 - January 28, 2011, 09:20 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Hey, Tara! My picture book is coming out in 2013, too. It seemed so far away when it was accepted in 2009 but time is flying. Kinda. LOL
#13 - January 28, 2011, 09:25 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
An Email asking to set a phone call... How's that for covering most of the bases?
The call came on the dot the next day.
#14 - January 28, 2011, 10:09 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Members: