SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Puzzle Formatting for submitting

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I have several puzzles that I have created and now I need to know what the best format is to make it look professional before subbing.

Currently, they are just handwritten. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharon
#1 - December 15, 2010, 02:06 AM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
If you find out anything Sharon let me know please! I'm trying to figure out the proper way to do this too!

Thanks,
Wilson W
#2 - December 28, 2010, 09:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Sharon and Wilson,

I am not an expert on this by any means, but I can tell you what I've done (I'm assuming you're talking about crossword/word search puzzles, is that right?).

I made a table in Word, added the letters, then got rid of all the gridlines.  To identify the answers, I made a second table with the answer words highlighted, and sent them both, along with the questions/clues.

Jody
#3 - December 29, 2010, 08:55 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
What kind of puzzles are we talking about?  I've sold quite a few puzzles and do them all in word, sometimes using the art tool.  The first page is the puzzle, the second page is the puzzle with the answers in red.  If you are talking about a crossword I think there are programs you can find on the internet to create crosswords in a professional manner.  I never do crosswords, so I'm not much help there, but I'm sure you could Google "create crossword".  I don't think I would send a handwritten puzzle, because if the magazine buys it they are likely to ask for an electronic copy.  At least the Bluffton magazines (Hopscotch, Fun For Kidz, Boys Quest) always ask for an electronic copy and the printed version in the magazine looks very much like the electronic copy I send them.  Good luck!
#4 - December 29, 2010, 03:20 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Rebecca, do you have any examples of your puzzles online or something you can show us a visual of? I want to make sure I have the correct idea in my head of what you mean.

Thanks!!

-Wilson
#5 - December 29, 2010, 08:59 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Wilson,
PM me with your email and I'll email you a copy of a puzzle that has already sold so you can see the format.
Rebecca
#6 - December 30, 2010, 04:35 PM
Rebecca Langston-George

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi Sharon,

I'm a puzzle magazine editor for Penny Publications https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/. Our submission process is a little old-school and many of our contributors are older, so we see all types of submissions: handwritten, typewriter, printed out from a computer, and e-mail submissions. We have to manually put in the puzzle information for most of our puzzles, so as long as a puzzle works that's the most important thing. I think having it in a word document is fine. I would see how it is formatted in the actual magazine you're looking to submit to and emulate that format as best as you can. Feel free to PM if you want!
#7 - December 31, 2010, 11:07 AM
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:13 PM by ktlc1113 »
Katie L. Carroll

Pirate Island - MG adventure
Elixir Bound - YA Fantasy
www.katielcarroll.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Sharon and Wilson,
You've gotten good advice here, and as ktlc says--different magazines have different expectations.

I've had lots of puzzles published in children's magazines.  Like Rebecca, I do all mine in Word and sometimes use the art tool in Word.  If you want to see more samples, I have lots of puzzles posted on the Teachers Page of my website (see below).  On the Writers Page I also give instructions for how I format crosswords and word searches in Word for submission.

Best wishes,
Ev
#8 - December 31, 2010, 11:52 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Good to know, KT.  I haven't heard of Penny Puzzles before and I'll definitely look it up.  I'm glad Sharon asked this question as I've learned something too.
Ev, after I posted my response I was hoping you might chime in.  You are the Puzzle Queen! 
Sharon, I imagine you can get the info you need looking at Ev's site, but I'd be glad to look at your puzzle if you think it would be helpful. 
#9 - December 31, 2010, 05:10 PM
Rebecca Langston-George

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
You're sweet to say that, Rebecca, but I definitely think I share that position with you and several other very successful puzzle writers here on the blue board.  :hug
#10 - January 02, 2011, 01:09 PM

Members: