SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Tyger, Tyger, by Kersten Hamilton

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm barely into Auntybooks's book, and just have to stop on this passage: "Teagan knelt beside her mother, took her hand, and breathed in the scent of paint, linseed oil, and turpentine. Her mom always smelled like creation."

Ahhhhh...excellent.  :yup

Now--back to  :study
#1 - December 18, 2010, 08:25 PM

Danyelle

Awesome! It's in my TBR tower. I can't wait to read it!  :chesirecat
#2 - December 18, 2010, 09:21 PM

:chesirecat Tyger Tyger was one of my favorite reads for 2010. Loved it.

You'll have to search older posts, but in May I interview Auntybooks and did a review of Tyger Tyger. http://patesden.livejournal.com/
#3 - December 19, 2010, 05:25 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
It's sitting on my TBR pile, as well -- looking forward to it :)
#4 - December 19, 2010, 10:04 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Oh! Coming back now to say how much I loved this book! I liked how the fantasy and the religious aspects flowed organically together (not that it is a religious book per se--but there are certainly elements of influence). Also, the character interactions felt more real than in some urban fantasy books I've read lately, and I just liked the characters. I hope that there is at least a sequel in the works?
#5 - December 19, 2010, 05:15 PM

olmue!! You liked it!! Hurray! Thank you for posting and saying so.   :yup

There is, in fact, a book two -- in the Forests of the Night, which I am finishing the re-writes on -- and which is why I haven't been about the blue boards much....

Oh, man there are a bunch of new smiles since I was here last!
 :love4: eab

#6 - December 22, 2010, 11:19 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yay, Aunty!! Sending you plenty of book-finishing vibes!  :moose
#7 - December 22, 2010, 11:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I just grabbed it from my library shelf for the holiday weekend.... :)
#8 - December 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Finished! Wow. GREAT fantasy-adventure with understated romance. I loved how the little brother was in the whole book and played such a crucial role in the end. What is Book #2 called -- and when is it coming out??? :)
#9 - December 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Thanks, dinalopomy!  Tyger is rooted in a deeply Celtic world view --  life, death, the past and the future, every aspect of life is connected, and no one makes a hero journey alone. Although Tea is the viewpoint character, and the catalyst on whom the story hinges, she could never get through without her clan-- which is why I work so hard on each character. Every single one is important to the story.

The next book is called In the Forests of the Night.

And I'd better get back to those edits....
 :sweeping:

That's me, tidying up a ms.

eab
#10 - December 27, 2010, 03:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I loved this book, Auntybooks.  It reminded me a little of Madeleine L'Engle.  I love the mix of fantasy and theology!  (Was that blessing/prayer a traditional one, or did you make it up?  It's lovely.)  And I cared a lot about all the characters. 
 :hearts

Can't wait until FORESTS OF THE NIGHT!  Or (not that you've given hints about #3) "SYMMETRY, FRAMED"!
:)
#11 - December 27, 2010, 03:54 PM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Thank you, AnnN! The blessing/prayer is traditional...with a very slight tweak. You are the first to make the connection with L'Engle -- not style wise, of course. (I blush to be mentioned in the same sentence with Madeleine L'Engle!) But certainly in some of the themes explored.
 :yup eab

#12 - December 27, 2010, 06:02 PM

Danyelle

Just finished this today, and it's already one of my favorite books! I loved that family was so important! Cant' wait to book two to come out.  :love
#13 - January 18, 2011, 06:29 PM

Thank you, Danyelle! I'm glad you liked it!

eab
#14 - January 28, 2011, 01:50 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
SPOILER ALERT

I just finished this, Auntybooks.  You've done such a good job with it and I'm pleased there's going to be a sequel.  I'll confess that in general I don't like to read books that have majorly evil characters in them.  I know it's wimpy of me, but there's enough evil in the world that I like my pleasure reading to be more pleasant.  (It's why I couldn't bring myself to read the last three HP books.)  But Tyger, Tyger has enough interesting characters that I cared about that I had trouble putting it down.  I agree with AnneN that it reminded me of Madeleine L'Engle's series.  I also appreciated the spiritual aspects of it.

I wanted to tell you that the part that really touched my heart was the description of when he couldn't remember the death. "All the pain of knowing she was dead would come flooding back, all the grief, new and fresh when he heard it again."  My father had Alzheimer's and that's exactly the way it was with him.  Because he didn't remember Mom's death, every time he heard it he had to experience all over again the heart-breaking grief of losing the person he'd loved for more than 70 years.  Over and over again.  And because I was the one who was having to tell him, it broke my heart, too, to see him suffer so.  It seemed so unfair that with all the other indignities that go with Alzheimer's, that he had to suffer that pain as well.

So, yes--you got that part so right!  And the image of something evil sucking the memories out one by one until a person is gone is the perfect image of Alzheimer's.  (As I said at the beginning, I have a general preference for happier books, but I did really like your book.  <smile>)
#15 - January 29, 2011, 08:31 PM
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:40 PM by Ev »

It was heartbreaking to write those scenes, Ev. :(  There were several scenes that were very, very hard for me to write.  But Tyger Tyger really isn't an escapist book. Like Blake's poem, it asks  a question about real good and real evil.

But I'm happy that you are glad there will be a sequel. Fair warning, though -- it was hard to write, too.

eab
#16 - January 29, 2011, 09:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Well, I will take your fair warning to heart, Auntybooks, and still look forward to your next creation.   :yup

My mom used to quote Blake's poem to us when we were growing up.  MacDonald's Princess and the Goblin was also one of her favorite books to read to us. (I inherited her very worn 1907 copy of it.)  I think she would have really enjoyed your book.

BTW, thanks for the explanation about the expression "warm the cockles of your heart."  I can remember wondering about that at one point and looking it up in a dictionary.  That particular dictionary gave the definition "corners," which didn't help at all--"the corners of the heart?"  Hearts don't have corners.  Your explanation made much more sense.
#17 - January 30, 2011, 12:38 PM

I've looked it up several times -- and this explanation seemed the most logical to me.  I do love that expression.

eab
#18 - January 30, 2011, 07:53 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Got my husband to read Tyger, Tyger and he thought it was GREAT!

When I told him you had a sequel in the works he said, "Unfortunately, sequels are never as good as the originals."

So you will just have to prove him wrong, Auntybooks.    :frog:  [Had to use this frog because it reminded me of your book.]
#19 - February 01, 2011, 12:02 PM

Oh, dear. I suppose In the Forests of the Night can only be saved by the fact that it is not truly a sequel, but a continuation of the story.   :laugh

eab
#20 - February 02, 2011, 10:08 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
OMG, I just finished this book -- in one day, first on the treadmill, then on the couch where I stoutly ignored my kids for a couple of hours so I could finish -- and all I can say is, wow.  Just, wow.  I loved everything about it -- just pulled me in, carried me away, and good grief did I fall for each character you crafted.  (Except the evil ones, of course, but man they were spot-on shudder-worthy.)  FWIW, I normally am not a reader of urban fantasy/magical realism/books with character names I can't pronounce, but I absolutely loved the folklore and spirituality woven through every page.   :bow:

Must stop gushing now and start my slow re-read.  When will I have the next book????
#21 - March 02, 2011, 12:48 PM

JennaWren...please hug those children and tell them that Evil Aunty Books is very sorry that she caused their mother to ignore them.    :laugh  I have *even worse* bad guys in book two...which will be out October 3rd!

Slow reading? Yikes. I always get very nervous when I know someone is reading one of my books.
 :yup eab

#22 - March 02, 2011, 05:24 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Oh, eab, all I have to do is show them your mesmerizing elephant avatar, and all is forgiven!  And don't be scared -- I just want to slowly reread to better enjoy every page (sometimes I read the way I eat chocolate - fast and binge-y!), and take some writerly notes on how to do a lot of things not only right, but extraordinarily well!
#23 - March 02, 2011, 05:30 PM

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Poster Plus
I loved this book! I can't wait for the next one.
#24 - March 02, 2011, 05:59 PM

Loving this book!

"That freegan almost recycled me"

:dr
#25 - April 07, 2011, 09:41 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

*averts eyes* I'm not reading a word of this thread until I've finished the book, but I had to put it down, stop eating my delicious guacamole, and come back to my computer to say that I just started Part II and okay, hi, wow. Sometimes telling is more powerful than showing.

(although now that I think about it, the first little bit of showing, the interaction with Molly, is also pretty powerful....it's all just very, very powerful. And upsetting. I really liked Mrs. Wylltson. She's someone I'd like to have in my family)

*stumbles blindly from thread, deathly afraid of having anything spoiled*
#26 - April 10, 2011, 01:56 AM
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

I finished it yesterday--loved it--there was a scene toward the end that made me get quite teary-eyed. Bravo!  :applause
#27 - April 10, 2011, 03:34 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

LOVE this book. I wish I could be more eloquent––my enthusiasms aren't always very coherent. I just...love this book.

Seriously, my brain is just all glowy with love and won't give me anything more than fluffy hearts and purring kittens and cute boys with Irish accents...though I am clear on how much that shadow sticking its hand in that bike rider's chest affected me. I couldn't sleep. But not because I was afraid of the dark or of goblins coming after me––I knew I was safe, but, man, I was worried about the characters. I mean, Mrs. Wylltson had already died, so I wasn't sure if anyone was safe.

I cannot wait to start buying this for people. For birthdays and Christmas and because I am a Book Bully.

Cannot wait for the sequel! Thank you for writing such a book, eab. The books that make me flip out like this are few and far between these days, but when it happens, it makes me feel like I'm still the me that I was when I was little and flipped out over A Wrinkle in Time or The Outsiders or the Anne books.
#28 - April 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Wow. Auntybooks, I LOVE this book. I wasn't expecting to; I was feeling a little dejected because the 2 previous books I had read I'd put down after 50 pages. I was just hoping for something good enough to get me through to the end. And your book is now one of my all-time favorites. I am so impressed with how you get the R's right - romance and religion. The story's not about either of course (in my opinion, making a story about either is like looking directly into the sun; much better to have the sunlight illumine), but they weave in beautifully.

I'm going to re-read a bit more slowly. I'm not sure if that's possible.

I blogged a bit about Tyger, Tyger: http://rt19writers.blogspot.com/

Can't wait for the next installment.
#29 - April 23, 2011, 11:38 AM
http://rt19writers.blogspot.com/
AMAZING KITCHEN CHEMISTRY (Nomad 2008)
EXPLORE ROCKS AND MINERALS (Nomad 2009)
MAPPING AND NAVIGATION (Nomad 2013)

Thank you, guys!  Cynthia, I'm glad Tyger Tyger didn't let you down. :)

Yep, Amaris! Cute boys with Irish accents.  :star2

Amanda, that book had me teary-eyed lots of times. Thinking things like, 'dear God, will I ever finish?' and also, 'will anyone buy this thing?'  :yup I must confess, I am still wondering about that one....

PJV...the second book is off to be turned into an ARC! Now, I all I have to do is write book three...

:hearts eab
#30 - April 23, 2011, 03:15 PM

Members: