SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Question about the Carus Publishing group.

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I received a check from the Carus Publishers, and I can't figure out what it's for. My records show I'm paid for all published pieces. I have two waiting with them, but I know they don't pay until publication and I haven't been told that either one is being published. So, I'm wondering- do they pay again if they reprint something even though they bought all rights? And do they send copies if it's a reprint?  
#1 - December 21, 2010, 03:17 PM

The Cobblestone magazines do not pay for reuse unless your contract specifically said one-time rights. I'm not so sure about the Chicago bug magazines, because I think they sometimes sell other rights. If you were published in one of the bug magazines, just call the Chicago Carus office and ask for accounting, and they can check it for you. If it was a Cobblestone magazine, call the Peterborough NH office and we can check it for you.

-Marcia
#2 - December 22, 2010, 05:44 AM
Author of over 100 nonfiction books and 500 magazine articles for young readers

Poster Plus
Thanks, Marcia. I will do that.
#3 - December 22, 2010, 03:21 PM

Poster Plus
 If anyone has the Oct. 2009 issue of Babybug, would they pm me, please?  Thank you!
#4 - December 31, 2010, 05:38 PM

Poster Plus
With the holidays, it took me a while to make connections. But I finally found out I had a poem in the Oct. 09 issue of Babybug. I have not seen the issue, since my library has every 2009 issue but that one. But Carus is sending me my belated contributor copies, so I shall see it soon!
#5 - January 04, 2011, 12:54 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Cindy, on having your poem published!!  :yay  I'm sorry you didn't find out about it until now but am glad Carus is sending you your copies.
#6 - January 04, 2011, 01:57 PM

Members: