SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

For writers over 40...

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I still have my slide rule. :) I still think it's cool, although I never really learned to use it beyond a few basics.
#211 - January 08, 2011, 02:45 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
I remember when bar codes started being used. People thought it was the Biblical Mark of the Beast.  When I was in elementary school .. the biggest threat was Russia and the communists ... and since we lived about 20 minutes from a strategic AFB which was rumored to be on the nuclear hit list (oh the things school kids pass around), we always felt a bit nervous.

So there are some similar things between my childhood and now ... the country is in an unpopular war and there is a feeling of threat.
#212 - January 08, 2011, 04:00 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. We actually had nuclear bomb drills in school where we crawled under our desks and covered our heads and necks with our hands and arms. It is laughable now to think this would have done anyone any good in the event of an attack, but we lived a few miles from El Toro Marine base and it probably made the adults feel better, although it scared the wits out of us kids.

Are tie tacks and tie clips obselete now? I never see men wearing them anymore. My husband says they ruin the ties.

Laurel
#213 - January 08, 2011, 06:17 PM
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:05 PM by Pons »

In my South Whittier classroom there was a poster of what to do in case of a nuclear attack.   Hilarious.  I should have took it down.  I taught there in the 90s.
#214 - January 08, 2011, 06:23 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

is kooky.
Poster Plus
Not sure if it's been brought up, but toaster ovens--and reheating food on the stove top or in the oven! One of my friends recently told me my house smelled like butter when we were kids (?). There was a whole lot of microwave popcorn flying around the house right around 1985 so maybe that was it...and that 90 pound nuker cost my mother a small fortune--just like my dad's "cheap" $300 VCR. *sigh*
#215 - January 08, 2011, 06:54 PM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
When VCR's first came out, they cost almost $1000 dollars and they had about 15 different buttons that had to be adjusted for each tape.   :hahaha
#216 - January 08, 2011, 09:07 PM

Poster Plus
We use the toaster oven several times every day. It's very easy for the kids to make sandwiches, and they don't like to heat food in the microwave.

#217 - January 08, 2011, 09:51 PM

We use the toaster oven several times every day. It's very easy for the kids to make sandwiches, and they don't like to heat food in the microwave.

When my mother and stepfather first got together, he was living in a different country.  She obviously didn't trust his culinary skills because her first Christmas present to him was a microwave.  It was enormous.

When VCR's first came out, they cost almost $1000 dollars and they had about 15 different buttons that had to be adjusted for each tape.   :hahaha
John still has one.  I am sick of tripping over his video tapes I walk into his room.  They are huge and he still trades video football games on cassette with people in South Amercia.  It took a long time for him to save for a dvd recorder when they first came out!
#218 - January 09, 2011, 03:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
We use our toaster oven a lot - for toast, of course, and from small grilling, neither of which a microwave does well. And we warm up things on the stove if it's a large amount (like a pot of soup).

What about hot meals on domestic airline flights (or any meal for that matter)? Airline "stewardesses"? Arriving at your flight as it's leaving and running out on the tarmac to catch it?

Playing stickball/kickball/any game in the street. Playing in the neighborhood all day without your parents knowing where you are.
#219 - January 09, 2011, 03:28 PM
http://rt19writers.blogspot.com/
AMAZING KITCHEN CHEMISTRY (Nomad 2008)
EXPLORE ROCKS AND MINERALS (Nomad 2009)
MAPPING AND NAVIGATION (Nomad 2013)

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
This is a huge thread so I'm not sure if this was already covered...

...Electric Typewriters. Specifically, the IBM Selectric. It drove me and my quick-trigger, inaccurate typing fingers crazy! Drove me crazy how often I used correction fluid and correction tape. Ugh. I ended up paying people to type my reports.

Lillian: I'm w/ your kids re: microwaves. Dislike cooking with them. Don't own one.
#220 - January 10, 2011, 01:55 AM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

Poster Plus
Ahhh, yes, I've used many an IBM selectric. I also wrote an editorial to my local paper the day they announced the last manual typewriter was made.

I still have my portable manual typewriter I bought when I went to college. However, most of my papers were handwritten.

Do they still have "blue books" for exams?  Basically a leaflet of paper with a blue cover ... in which you were to write the answers to all your essay questions on your final exams.

Erasable ink pens! Which were kind of essential when you hand wrote all your college essays.

On another note I still remember the day my dad drove me to high school and asked if I had enough ink. I was a rather late in life baby, and my father was near 70 at the time. I reminded him that we were all using Bic pens now.
#221 - January 10, 2011, 05:10 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Yes, blue books are still used--in both my son's college and daughters' high school.

We lurves our toaster oven and use it daily--there are definitely things it's better at reheating than the nuke.  I'm having a hard time finding a replacement that isn't one of those convection ovens.

Yes, we still have my husband's manual typewriter in the attic.  Remember how if you hit too many keys, the arms would get tangled?

I also remember when they permitted smoking on airplanes.  Ugh!!!

And remember when VCRs were duking it out with the Sony Betamax for market supremacy?
#222 - January 10, 2011, 05:25 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

MaryWitzl

I remember being on a flight from L.A. to Tokyo where 95% of the passengers seemed to be chain smokers. The air was blue with cigarette smoke, and even a few people in the Non Smoking section lit up and had to be reprimanded. I felt ill when we finally landed in Tokyo and my clothes and hair reeked for ages. I also worked in several offices where everybody smoked. In my office in Tokyo, our boss kept ashtrays on all our desks for his convenience when he came to consult us. I used to cough myself to sleep at nights; as soon as I lay down, it kicked in.

I hated those electric typewriters with the tangly keys, but how I miss my old manual!  It was clunky and heavy and manufactured in 1933, but you could whack down hard on the keys and make the print darker that way, which was perfect for adding emphasis to whatever you were writing. I have arthritic changes in both of my little fingers to show for all the sticky A and semicolon keys, but I still miss that kind of typing.

I remember the big Beta vs VHS competition!  Betas were smaller, weren't they?  I taught in a school that had both systems. I'd invariably be in the middle of a lesson and try to insert a beta into a VHS slot or vice versa, causing great mirth. It was a real pain in the neck.  Now my kids get hysterical when I try to insert a CD into a DVD slot, but I'm just proud to know the difference.
#223 - January 10, 2011, 05:38 AM

Yes, blue books are still used--in both my son's college and daughters' high school.

We lurves our toaster oven and use it daily--there are definitely things it's better at reheating than the nuke.  I'm having a hard time finding a replacement that isn't one of those convection ovens.
Those microwave ovens took up  the size of the worktops!
Yes, we still have my husband's manual typewriter in the attic.  Remember how if you hit too many keys, the arms would get tangled?
My teacher insisted we learn to type on one of them because "computers induced laziness".
I also remember when they permitted smoking on airplanes.  Ugh!!!

And remember when VCRs were duking it out with the Sony Betamax for market supremacy?
And the tapes got stuck in the machines?  My dear friend John spent many an hour shredding the machine apart, trying to get the tape out! (not recommended, by the way!)

How about old sweets?  Here in Ireland, there are so many sweets you can't obtain anymore.  Particularly quarter pounds...You can't be healthy all of the time!
#224 - January 10, 2011, 06:20 AM

I remember how everyone smoked too.  When we went to visit grandparents in LA back in 1970 I still remember being told to roll window up.  Sure enough the whole basin area was covered in a thick black cloud of smoke.  Even with windows closed the smoke came inside.  Disgusting.

I also remember them giving out free cigarette samples in 1979, 1980. 

#225 - January 10, 2011, 07:39 AM
NO MORE GODDESSES:

I remember the time when I couldn't wait until I reached my 18th birthday to get my first alcoholic drink.  Oh, I feel so old...
#226 - January 10, 2011, 12:14 PM

Stephanie, I still remember going to Black Angus with my parents and asking for a non-smoking booth and still getting all the smoke!  Yuck.  Everyone seemed to smoke then and it was more acceptable.  We're talking the 70s and even the 80s!
#227 - January 10, 2011, 05:41 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:

Poster Plus
I was just sent a link to a youtube video which reminded me of this thread, and thought you all might enjoy. The video is called "Once upon a time ... old technology." It's in French but with English subtitles :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdSHeKfZG7c
#228 - January 13, 2011, 02:03 AM

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on Sunday afternoons. Having only 3 channels. Having to wait a year for the ONE showing of the great holiday cartoons. Man, if you missed Rudolph you'd have to wait another whole year to see if the misfit toys ever got off the island.  Service stations. Remember those? A real person would pump the gas, wipe your windshield, and check the air in your tires---and he usually was polite and said  THANK YOU when he was done. Let me date myself some more---how about being able to pay COD for stuff ordered through the mail?  :applause

An aging Bobcat
#229 - January 14, 2011, 04:39 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Yes . . . I remember Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" it came on just after Disney. And "Fantasy Island" came on just after "The Love Boat." Watching Gopher and Julie as a kid was a tradition. Three channels of TV. Afternoon TV entertainment consisted of "Gillighan's Island," "I Dream of Jeannie" "Bewitched" and "The Flintstones." And Saturday Morning Cartoons: "Maghilla Gorilla" "Yogi" "Snagglepuss" "Roadrunner & Coyote" "Bugs Bunny" "Speed Racer" "Simba" "Dudley Doowright" "George of the Jungle" "Tweetie & Sylvester" "The Banana Splits" "H.R. Puff N' Stuff"  I could go on . . . such memories.

The time clock seems to be obsolete. The one that you put your time card into, lined up just so, punched in and stuck into a slot for the cards.
#230 - January 14, 2011, 07:31 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

What about when personal CD players came out?  I remember my dad buying and couldn't imagine him carryinga huge thing around with him.  Wonder what kids would think of them now!
Ahhh, yes, I've used many an IBM selectric. I also wrote an editorial to my local paper the day they announced the last manual typewriter was made.

I still have my portable manual typewriter I bought when I went to college. However, most of my papers were handwritten.

Do they still have "blue books" for exams?  Basically a leaflet of paper with a blue cover ... in which you were to write the answers to all your essay questions on your final exams.

Erasable ink pens! Which were kind of essential when you hand wrote all your college essays.
Not allowed and made a mess of your hand when you are left-handed.

On another note I still remember the day my dad drove me to high school and asked if I had enough ink. I was a rather late in life baby, and my father was near 70 at the time. I reminded him that we were all using Bic pens now.
Yep, I remember them all!  Portable televisions.  I know they exist these days, but not quite in the same way.  John has one in his room.  It belonged to my mother and it's about thirty years old, has a headphone jack and still going strong.  It has also outlived at least six video/dvd recorders.
#231 - January 15, 2011, 05:25 AM
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:30 AM by thunderingelephants »

Lil Indigo

[quote author=SYoon link=topic=52637.msg624619#
Birthday cards.

Party invitations. (Lots of people use e-vites)

Personally, I'm VERY outdated. I bought my very first smart phone (phone w/ internet access)...and it's scary.  :ahh Hope to get the hang of it one day.

[/quote]
Actually, I'm in sixth grade and instead of shooting a text or eviting we still do invitations and i'll do a b4 text, then invite.
#232 - June 26, 2011, 01:54 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Remember when you could only get popcorn, soda, and candy at the movies.  We went to Cars2 this weekend with my son and it is a smorgasbord, everything imaginable to eat.
#233 - June 26, 2011, 08:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
If you can afford it...    :dollar  (I know, I know--who uses cash anymore?   :tea)   
#234 - June 26, 2011, 11:10 PM

John's 40 on Friday and I am dreading it.  Haven't bought him a present because I am broke and he knows it.  It's crazy how you can live with someone for so long and still never figure what you should buy on their birthday, isn't it?  He says he can wait 'til later in the year when we travel to England.  There's something he wants from there.
If you can afford it...    :dollar  (I know, I know--who uses cash anymore?   :tea)   
I try not to use the cards.  Cash cuts down on bills!
#235 - June 27, 2011, 02:33 AM

Lil Indigo

I do!
#236 - June 27, 2011, 02:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Me, too, but I'm over 40.   ;)  I've heard younger folks say they never carry cash, just use their debit or credit cards. 

Christine 
#237 - June 27, 2011, 02:45 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Here's one that (at least for me) was a shocker.  I've been looking for a new car to replace my 14-year-old Honda (which my mechanic says still has another ten years in it), and I finally settled on a Honda Fit.  Guess what?  It's impossible to get a stick shift.  Everyone wants automatic so they can keep their hands free for their cells.  Who knew?  (Probably all of you, but I didn't.)

#238 - June 27, 2011, 04:15 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Oh wow, I find that more than a little frightening, Betsy. Here in Australia it is illegal to text/talk with a phone in your hand (hands free is okay)...but I still see plenty of people doing it.
#239 - June 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I saw something when I was young that I can almost bet that most people on this board have not seen.  A man plowing the sidewalks with a wooden plow and a horse.  The horse was wearing bells.  I believe it was a snow day, as I can think of no other reason that I would have been at home with only my mom and younger brother.  My dad must have made it to work and my older brother was probably out playing with friends. 

It was the only time in my life I have ever seen a horse and man plow sidewalks.

Yep, our milk was placed in a small metal milk box by our front door, mom would leave the milk man a message if we needed more or less milk, cottage cheese, etc. 

I just found my roller skate key and promptly misplaced it.

I loved smelling memographed papers in school, there was no Elmer's glue, just that awful school paste they provided.  Do you remember getting fat pencils for first and second grade and then getting regular pencils for the rest of elementary school?

Playing marbles for KEEPS on the playground?  Buying bubble gum packs for the baseball cards instead of just buying a package of baseball cards? 

(I kid my mom about the two Mickey Mantel and one Roger Maris cards she tossed when we moved without my consent - her excuse was I didn't keep them neat.  They were in a shoe box on my closet shelf.  I would have some decent money with those cards. Who knows what other players I had in that box? bwaa)

Betsy Wetsy
Tiny Tears
Chatty Cathy

M-i-c-k-e-y Y because we like you, M-o-u-s-e...
#240 - June 27, 2011, 06:14 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Members: