SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

For writers over 40...

Discussion started on

CaroleB

I certainly remember Chesty chips!
        The Omar man delivered bread, donuts and rolls to my gramma's house. Maybe milk, too. 
        I watched Kaptain Kangaroo on a black and white tv and had to "dial" a phone with one finger.
        But, let me make this clear---I NEVER used an outhouse, hah! (Not that old)

Anyone remember this commercial---"See the USA in your Chevrolet".

I saw the Beatles perform live at the Ind. State Fair back in the sixties...
#271 - February 05, 2012, 07:47 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Except for the Omar man - I'm with you, Carole!

I saw the Beatles in the '60s, too - in Chicago. :band  :guitar:

Are you from Indiana?
#272 - February 05, 2012, 09:24 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

CaroleB

Yes. Julia. Home is Indy, but I'm living in Fort Wayne. My kids are in Indy. I see you are in Bloomington.

Oh, here's another tidbit. My first elementary school had a fire escape tube thingy we
        had to slide down from the second floor. It was cool...oh and we had to wear dresses to school.

#273 - February 05, 2012, 12:04 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

Yes. Julia. Home is Indy, but I'm living in Fort Wayne. My kids are in Indy. I see you are in Bloomington.

Oh, here's another tidbit. My first elementary school had a fire escape tube thingy we
        had to slide down from the second floor. It was cool...oh and we had to wear dresses to school.

I don't remember the Omar man, Chesty Chips in the big can, we had our milk delivered in a milk box on the front porch every morning in glass bottles, my mother and father would have never let me go to Indy to the see the Beatles.  However, my best friend, whose parents also did not let her go see the Beatles and she lived much closer to Indy at the time; has a bottle of "Beatle Dirt"  her friends went to where the were positive the Beatles walked and bottled up some dirt for her.

My cousin's school had  fire escape that was a big tube from the second floor.  Alas that school has long been torn down.
#274 - February 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Just realised I've only got a little over a year before I can officially join here. Not sure how I feel about that!
#275 - February 12, 2012, 04:39 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin

I certainly remember Chesty chips!
        The Omar man delivered bread, donuts and rolls to my gramma's house. Maybe milk, too. 
        I watched Kaptain Kangaroo on a black and white tv and had to "dial" a phone with one finger.
        But, let me make this clear---I NEVER used an outhouse, hah! (Not that old)

Anyone remember this commercial---"See the USA in your Chevrolet".

I saw the Beatles perform live at the Ind. State Fair back in the sixties...

Haven't peeked at this thread in some time. I don't know Chesty chips, but otherwise, I remember it all. And I have a son and his family in Indy.
#276 - February 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Just a curiousity: how do you guys feel about Cookie Monster being referred to as 'Veggie Monster'?
#277 - February 12, 2012, 10:30 AM

He's not, and never has been.  That's pure rumor, thank goodness!  Here's the link to the Snopes article:  http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/veggie.asp
#278 - February 12, 2012, 12:39 PM

Hey thanks for that, Jaina.  I had heard the same rumor about Cookie Monster having become unacceptable, and am relieved to know that wasn't the way the cookie crumbled.  :groan

And thundering, I think the blueboards offer early retirement, so you can join the thread any time!  :knit:  (these emoticons can be addictive!)
#279 - February 12, 2012, 12:50 PM

Jaina: you should see John's face! A huge grin spread across when I relayed your info on Cookie. We're insanely addicted to muppets & co. Does anyone remember the Cabbage Patch Dolls? I had two: complete with bîrthcerts & clothes. I was so proud of those ugly toys.
#280 - February 12, 2012, 01:46 PM

I love Muppets, too.  And by "love" I mean--I feel like they raised me.  I'm almost ashamed at how much of my personality (psyche?) was formed by Muppets!

I was never into dolls, but my sister had a Cabbage Patch Doll.  Sooooo ugly.  Of course, I'll take them over today's Bratz and such.
#281 - February 12, 2012, 02:21 PM

Tomagachis. John and I had to 'babysit' one for a friend in the 90s. Sometimes he would emerge from his room in the morning looking eerily frightening after that little thing had woken him. I think he was happy to give it back!
#282 - February 13, 2012, 08:22 AM

CABBAGE PATCH DOLLS?  I was working at Wal-Mart when those Chucky wannabes came out. Almost got trampled when managment opened the doors and let the mob in.  Say it ain't so about Cookie Monster! What's next? Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans?  :run4hills

Larry (not getting older, just getting better)
#283 - February 14, 2012, 02:23 PM

Members: