SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

For writers over 40...

Discussion started on

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
 It was a love/hate thing with the merry-go-round when I was a kid because usually someone got hurt each day or sometime during the week. In some school districts, they pulled them from the playgrounds because of the injuries and potential lawsuits. Are teeter-totters still in some public playgrounds? We don't have any here that I've seen.
#91 - December 27, 2010, 01:52 PM
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:00 PM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Mail order catalog stores like Montgomery Wards or Sears Roebuck where you placed your order in person at the catalog store (no retail sales there, just ordering) and it was delivered to the catalog store for you to pick up.

Lay-away was something we did when I was a kid and I thought it had died out, but K-mart is advertising it again. 

I think calendars are soon destined to go the way of the dinosaur--everyone keeps track on their phones now.

And leg-warmers--I almost tripped over my shopping cart last week when I saw a giant display of them at Walgreens!   :ohno Seriously, could leg-warmers be making a come back?  Mine looked so cute over my boots back in the day. 
#92 - December 27, 2010, 02:05 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I don't think calendars are dead yet--there's always a big kiosk selling them at my large local mall, and people buy them.  And my teens all wear watches, but my husband stopped wearing his.  Go figure.

Here's one no one's mentioned--Green Stamps!
#93 - December 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Oooh, I remember Green Stamps and Blue Chip Stamps.

Polaroid Cameras.
#94 - December 27, 2010, 02:44 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I remember writing my name on library cards in the book pockets.  We also had to go around to the various tables and sign up for classes in high school (though not all three years, I don't think).  And I also took Basic in high school (and only passed it because one of the smartest guys in school ended up as my partner).

Of course, the very first time I typed a paper on a computer was my senior year, and it was one of those computers which had the three by three screen that only showed a couple lines of text at a time...and we used to have to measure our footnotes.

Yeesh, I feel old ;)
#95 - December 27, 2010, 02:44 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Yes, I remember battling with that film with the school's film projector.  No one else at my school used them but my first graders liked some of the films.  I even had a couple of my students help run them.

I worked at the Harold B. Lee library at BYU while attending school and we checked books out using a computer back in the later 80s.   Though I haven't seen a card catalog in a long time.  Are they still around?  They weren't at my son's former school.

Alot of the styles of the 80s and 90s are back.  (Wish I kept my original Candies shoes with plastic heels.  Remember those?)  I agree with the other comment though that leggings and oversized tunics don't flatter overweigh 50 somethings.  I do admit I tried to get in a pair of jeggings and laughed so hard I fell over with only one leg up.  Who seriously can get into those pants?
#96 - December 27, 2010, 03:00 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
and we used to have to measure our footnotes.

Oh my gosh! I remember doing that and it was such a hassle. If you mis-measured, you either had to re-type the page or hope the teacher didn't notice.

Does anyone remember phone numbers where the first two numbers were letters - like MH5-5442?
#97 - December 27, 2010, 03:42 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Yep,  I remember those phone numbers with words or letters.    :EmoticonPhone:   Also surprises me to see old addresses without zip codes.   Apparently, they haven't been in use as long as I thought.

Our schools (Corona,  in SoCal) have lockers for high-schoolers only.   The middle school students have to lug backpacks around.   But the way modern technology's going,  textbooks might become obsolete.   Some schools are already using electronic devices instead of actual books.   The local high school has a website for online textbooks,  in case students forget to take their book(s) home.
#98 - December 27, 2010, 03:59 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Off Topic . . . Apologies . . . I was just remembering the Merry-Go-Round that I got hurt on . . . Smashed my head against the hard ground after my brother was thrown against me in a dispute with another kid knocking my grip from the bars and chipping one of my front teeth down to the nerve . . . and all and it was in SoCal in a school in Corona : Jefferson Elementary. Before that, I went to Garretson Elementary. Wow . . . never was there long enough to find out about the lockers though.
#99 - December 27, 2010, 05:21 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Drive-in movies.
#100 - December 27, 2010, 05:50 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Those indestructible cassette recorders (Fisher Price) for little kids... tried to find one for my nephew a couple of years ago, and was told at the ToysRUs that they're obsolete.
#101 - December 27, 2010, 06:08 PM

There's still a few drive through movies out there.  Not many but a few.  I don't know about anyone else, but I never did see movies when I went to those with my boyfriends.   :lol2
#102 - December 27, 2010, 07:36 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Cynthia-- :wow   My sister went to Jefferson!   I've worked there and at Garretson as a teacher's aide,  too.   

Christine
#103 - December 27, 2010, 10:06 PM

MaryWitzl

Songs that came on the radio -- which we ALL listened to -- whether you liked them or not. http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/06/worst-songs-of-70s.html  

Leg warmers are back, along with long sweaters with leggings and boots.  They look good on thin 18 year olds.  Overweight 50 somethings should avoid them.
I'm not a skinny 18-year-old. But if anybody tries to get my leg warmers off me, they'll have to take them off my cold, dead body. And it really WILL be cold, too.
#104 - December 28, 2010, 06:53 AM
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:28 AM by MaryWitzl »

Poster Plus
Oh, I was another one that took Basic and Cobol!

How about the Commodore 64 ?!  All my geeky guy friends were salivating to be the first to own a personal computer.

Schoolhouse Rock and The After School Special. 

My Mom had a hair dryer that consisted of a plastic cap and a long hose inside a suitcase type box. 

Pop rocks!

Gnat

#105 - December 28, 2010, 07:18 AM
Saving Armpit, F&W
I Owe You One, Orca
Cryptic Canada, Owlkids
Hockey Girl, F&W
Glow-in-the-dark Creatures, F&W
Stay Strong F&W
www.nataliehyde.com

MaryWitzl

How about the electric curlers that came in a little box that steamed up?  What a load of rubbish they were, but everybody wanted them desperately. We dreamed they would make our hair straight and sleek, along with massive amounts of Dippity Do hair gel.
#106 - December 28, 2010, 08:30 AM

smichel

Hi Ruth,

When we were cleaning out the attic a few months ago, I came across my sons' old Fisher-Price tape player. It really is indestructible. Now if I could just find the cassettes for it.

Stella
#107 - December 28, 2010, 10:01 AM

Songs that came on the radio -- which we ALL listened to -- whether you liked them or not. http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/06/worst-songs-of-70s.html 
I'm not a skinny 18-year-old. But if anybody tries to get my leg warmers off me, they'll have to take them off my cold, dead body. And it really WILL be cold, too.

Seriously, guys? Leg warmers are back?

Well, if Mary thinks they're a good idea, then I guess I may have to revisit them.

That reminds me, remember when you had to break in jeans all on your own or buy them at a thrift shop for that worn look? You had to work for that look (or at least some person did). Now they're all mechanically pre-worn-in for you. I wonder how they do it?

Also, remember the UHF channel? They always had some interesting/weird program on there.
#108 - December 28, 2010, 11:40 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I remember by oldest phone number (with letters).  It was "Charleston 61055."

Oh, and darning socks.  My mother had a darning egg--a wooden thing with an egg-shaped bulge at one end. Anyone remember those?

And polaroid cameras are back:

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-CZA-05300B-Instant-Digital-Camera/dp/B001RIYUJQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292174709&sr=8-2
#109 - December 28, 2010, 11:50 AM
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:58 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Okay, so my 7th grader reports that he does have white boards in his current classroom. But the elementary school where I teach volunteer art classes definitely has only chalkboards.
#110 - December 28, 2010, 12:14 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Wind up clocks and watches (without batteries)
#111 - December 28, 2010, 01:55 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
wax paper- made my mother's spritz cookies for the first time this year- finding the cookie press was hard enough but then my grandma and mom always lined the cookie tins with wax paper- actually my grandma used it to seal up everything in her used mircle whip jars and cool whip containers- did I  take a lot of cookies back to college in a coolwhip container with a little wax paper to seal them in and keep them from breaking- alas- couldn't find it anywhere- do live in the boomies- had to use parchment paper and it just isnt the same- !
#112 - December 28, 2010, 03:10 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
We always have wax paper in the house.

My favorite kind of candy used to be Red Hots, but you can't find it anymore.  Once, I called every store in town--no luck. 

Then, for Valentine's Day, my husband emailed the original manufacturer--and he got me an entire case of it.   :love4:

But they're probably completely out of business now.   :shrug:
#113 - December 28, 2010, 05:19 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Speaking of obsolete snacks, does anyone remember pop rocks?

Wierd how Polaroid keeps putting it's name out there somehow. They actually were pretty intuitive . . . being an instant camera is as close to digital as it ever got.

I thought the beehive was extinct, but it seems Amy Winehouse likes to sport something similar . . . not sure what's in it though. http://www.hairflair.org/entry/amy-winehouse-in-newfound-beehive-hairstyle/
#114 - December 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
That reminds me, remember when you had to break in jeans all on your own or buy them at a thrift shop for that worn look? You had to work for that look (or at least some person did). Now they're all mechanically pre-worn-in for you. I wonder how they do it?
If you grew up on the ocean, the best way to break in new jeans was to go swimming in them a few times.  Salt water always seemed to do the trick.  :yup

Yes, we still use wax paper.  And my daughter just bought her big brother a huge box of Red Hots for Christmas, Betsy--so they're definitely still around.
#115 - December 28, 2010, 05:49 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

When we were cleaning out the attic a few months ago, I came across my sons' old Fisher-Price tape player. It really is indestructible. Now if I could just find the cassettes for it.
Stella

Really, Stella? I still use stories on cassette for the listening center in my classroom, so I couldn't believe they didn't make 'em any more. Apparently everything's electronic now. My kids used to drag their little tape player everywhere and rock out!   :partytime
#116 - December 28, 2010, 06:50 PM

Friday Night Videos aired on one of the NBC, CBS, ABC stations which were a TV event when I got home from babysitting--Mom watched them with me, and we were fascinated!

Atari game with Pac Man and Frogger, and there was one other early game, but I can't remember the name.

Phones that were attached and not cordless and had long, long cords that I dragged down the hall and shut the bedroom door so no one could hear my high school conversations.

Accounting classes where we did all the figuring and adding in workbooks or zeroxed copies--not Excel or any other computer program.

Typing classes! I still remember how great it was to take my typing class the summer before 9th grade. I got to go to the high school every day, and felt like I might not get as lost in the Fall! Now there are computers in those typing rooms.

And yes..popcorn machines. Only we cooked ours in a pan with oil on the stove. I still like it that way best.

Jordach jeans, Calvin Klein Jeans, flat shoes in all colors of the rainbow to match the outfits, and dressing up for high school. (And it took a lot of babysitting to pay for those clothes!) Now, the high school kids in our area wear jeans and sweatshirts all the time.

Taking driver's ed at 15 1/2 and taking the driving test and passing on the actual birthday at 16, and then getting to drive without parents in the car at 16.

#117 - December 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
Stained Glass Summer, Musa Publishing
Weaving Magic, YA Romance
Finders Keepers--MeeGenius Publishing
www.mindyhardwick.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Maybe they're just not around in California anymore (Red Hots).  Can you tell me the name of the store that sells them?  I would really appreciate it!
#118 - December 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I just bought red hots last week at Stater Bros. to decorate Christmas cookies only they were called something else. Are we talking about little red dots of candy flavored with cinnamon?
#119 - December 28, 2010, 09:23 PM

I love red hots. Haven't seen them in ages, though  - but that doesn't mean they aren't around here, I might have just missed them. And yes, pop rocks! Now all I can think is what must be *in* those things!

I do think there's a different cultural experience now with so much personalization. Kids aren't all watching the same show at night, or the same after school special, or listening to the same song on the radios. Of course, now we have facebook, so they probably connect in different ways over different things - but it's a shift. I remember playing name that tune with the radio dial in junior high - or holding up my cassette recorder to tape off the radio. :) Oh those radio mix tapes!!

Word processors - I had one my freshman year in college before I got a computer and email. That was a huge change!! I wonder if going to the post office is a thing at all in college anymore with all the email? That was the highlight of my day! That and seeing the cutie pie senior I liked walk from philosphy to theater class, but I digress...
#120 - December 28, 2010, 09:51 PM
Robin

Members: