SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

For writers over 40...

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
ecm - I couldn't dance my way out of a paper bag... But as long as I'm in my leg warmers, I'd sure look cute trying.  :chickendance
#181 - January 01, 2011, 08:04 PM
Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://flashlightpress.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Oh, you should come to our beach. We have no life guards. There's inflatable everything.

We used to have so much fun with our inflatable rafts because more than one person could use them at one time. This led to all kinds of games we made up. I also miss inner tubes. Again, lots of games you just can't play with rigid Boogie Boards.
#182 - January 02, 2011, 08:54 AM

MaryWitzl

Leg warmers. Ha! I used them for their original purpose: dancing (modern & ballet). I wore them in Hawai'i but only for dance classes. I found it amusing when people started wearing them for "fashion."

In Southern California, it used to crack me up seeing girls out in leg warmers when it was 65 degrees outside. Stylish or no, they looked ridiculous.  Here in Scotland, my leg warmers are hideously pilled-up grey things, as untrendy and unfashionable as can be. But I wouldn't trade them for anything!

Jacks -- does anybody else remember those longingly?  Skipping rope as shared activity, with two kids keeping the rope going and one jumping in the middle -- it's been years since I've seen that. And skipping tape and playing Red Rover Come Over or tug-of-war, and hopscotch...  (Nostalgic sigh...I'm getting old.)
#183 - January 02, 2011, 09:03 AM
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:07 AM by MaryWitzl »

joypainter

t <those weird, smelly roller machines that copied paper before photocopiers (I forget what they were called)>
telegrams

I think it was called a MIMEOGRAPH.

blast from the past :motorcycle:
#184 - January 02, 2011, 10:03 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Riding in the back of a truck with a bunch of friends.  Now I think that's against the law.

Getting those booster shots that left big round marks.  Think I still have it.

Yes, I remember riding in the back of a friend's pick-up truck on the way back from the beach on Martha's Vineyard, before it became fashionable (the island, not the pick-up trucks!)

I think you mean the scar from smallpox vaccine...not given since the 70s, since wild smallpox was eradicated.

And guess what my mother-in-law gave my son for Christmas?  A funky Stauer 1930 Dashtronic self-winding watch--he thinks it's extremely cool.
#185 - January 02, 2011, 06:36 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
t <those weird, smelly roller machines that copied paper before photocopiers (I forget what they were called)>
telegrams

Ha! I was always trying to help my teacher collate and hand those papers out because I loved how they smelled... lol!
#186 - January 02, 2011, 11:22 PM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

gas lines

only buying gas on certain days

I remember when I started wearing a seat belt and I was the odd man out!

Susan

playing all day in the woods and never checking back at home

walking everywhere
#187 - January 03, 2011, 04:06 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
microfiche

#188 - January 03, 2011, 06:21 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth

Ha! I was always trying to help my teacher collate and hand those papers out because I loved how they smelled... lol!

Actually a mimeograph machine was different from the ditto machines that made those wonderfully smelling purple copies.  I agree, ecm--I loved the way they smelled.  I used those ditto machines when I was first teaching.

Mimeograph machines used stencils that the typewriter actually cut tiny holes in for the letters. The stencil was put on the roller drum upside down, a special brush smeared ink on the inside of the drum, and somehow the ink magically worked its way through the tiny stencil holes onto the paper as you cranked the drum.  They made black copies, not purple.  My mother prepared hundreds (maybe thousands) of those stencils for church activities when I was growing up. She would use a special stylus to draw tiny pictures on the stencils.  I loved to watch Dad run the mimeograph machine at church.  

ETA: in reading back through this entire thread, I see several people said the purple copy machines were called mimeograph machines, so maybe people used different names for them in different places.  But there were two very different types of copying machines (as I described above) used during the same time period.
#189 - January 03, 2011, 07:08 AM
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:23 AM by Ev »

Our family history areas still use microfiche on genealogy.  They're a pain to use but still have the info if you're doing your own family history search.  The church is doing a huge Beta thing on converting these files onto computers.
#190 - January 03, 2011, 09:18 AM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I think I'm used to hearing mimeograph and ditto used interchangeably.  You either wrote or typed on the two part sheet, and then placed it on this drum thing, and it made copies. I think we commonly referred to that as ditto. Geez, I'm having to stretch my brain.
#191 - January 03, 2011, 10:27 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Angel Hair was made of fiberglass.  You could cut yourself on it.  I hadn't thought of that in years.

#192 - January 03, 2011, 11:06 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Tape cassettes.  Shops have stopped stocking them and I think it is such a pity.  I almost miss getting them jammed in the machines.
Also video tape cassettes.  John trades soccer matches all over the world (particularly South America & Australia) and most of his stuff is on video tape, he's finding it impossible to get cleaning tapes and I am sick of tripping over them whenever I need something from his room.

In fact, I am really feeling old.  It's easy to get irked by the revival or "modern adaptation" of the some of the stuff that was going around in the '90's. Younger people just don't have a real clue what these things were all about. :wheelchair: :old
#193 - January 03, 2011, 11:07 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Film strips and slide projectors! Even when I was a kid I thought film strips were lame, and I just finished cleaning out a closet where I found my old slide projector. I thought I'd gotten rid of it years ago. It's been a while since I dug into the back of that closet.   ::)
#194 - January 04, 2011, 03:37 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good for napping in class, though.

Yes, especially when the teacher missed one of the bells and didn't turn the strip on time. Then the narration didn't match the picture. Ahh, good times.
#195 - January 04, 2011, 05:39 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
gas lines

only buying gas on certain days

I remember when I started wearing a seat belt and I was the odd man out!

Susan

playing all day in the woods and never checking back at home

walking everywhere

Oh, yes! I remember the gas lines . . . sitting in the back of the family car on a hot summer day, windows rolled down and waiting an hour or so in a parking lot of a line. It was hot in SoCal and cars didn't come standard with AC in those days. I was even told that the back seat in sedans was optional. And the "ENERGY CRISIS." I remember being taught conservation efforts in school because we were running low on energy. Hmmm.

A few days ago, I heard that 35mm film will be made obsolete this year. Wow. I guess even the pros have gone digital. It used to be  that they protested a bit as the film gave them the appeal they were after. I guess Photoshop and all the filters and effects makes things way more desirable. It can turn an amateur into a professional with the cropping, cloning, erasing, burning and dodging . . . just takes a little self-educating.
#196 - January 05, 2011, 06:43 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Oh, those gas lines!  I remember those!  I'd go with my grandfather and we'd wait for hours for our turn to get gas.  They'd go by your license plates number on which days you could do this.  And those comics of kids in a cave with parents saying, "Remember those days?" before the energy crisis.

The end of the world propagada during the end of the 70s in which some predicted the end would come.
#197 - January 05, 2011, 07:12 AM
NO MORE GODDESSES:

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Film strips and slide projectors! Even when I was a kid I thought film strips were lame

Oh this reminds me of the teachers who'd say, "Now today, we're going to see a strip film..." The giggles almost made having to watch the film worth it.
#198 - January 05, 2011, 09:50 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Saw this article this morning and remembered this thread. It's on the things a baby born today won't know. It covers a lot of what we've discussed here but there are a couple of things I hadn't thought of yet. :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111745/things-babies-born-in-2011-will-never-know?mod=family-kids_parents
#199 - January 06, 2011, 08:15 AM

Does anyone remember those horrible luminous colours that people wore in the 80's?  Particularly with black.  Orange, pink and green.  A real fashion disaster!
#200 - January 06, 2011, 09:27 AM

Would you be referring to DayGlo?  I had DayGlo eye makeup.  Now that's something I shouldn't admit.
Not strictly speaking.  I was talking about the clothes!  My aunt (god rest her), if she were around would testify to the fact that her clothes were almost all illuminous yellow, green, orange or pink.  Sadly, she died at age 39, but she would certainly affirm my claims.  Her favourite colour scheme was probably day-glo orange...and I wasn't far behind. :-|
#201 - January 06, 2011, 11:26 AM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Not strictly speaking.  I was talking about the clothes!  My aunt (god rest her), if she were around would testify to the fact that her clothes were almost all illuminous yellow, green, orange or pink.  Sadly, she died at age 39, but she would certainly affirm my claims.  Her favourite colour scheme was probably day-glo orange...and I wasn't far behind. :-|

Day-glo orange is very "in" in the upper Midwest -- during hunting season -- it's "blaze orange."

On another note, it seems the only artifacts that will last -- and outlive-- their "delivery systems" (oh, 8-track tapes, where are you?) -- are photographs (as long as you store them on acid-free paper) and (gasp!) books!  Imagine!  Books!  Who knows what will be around in the future, but, all of us have both books and photographs that are very, very old.  A thought to ponder....
#202 - January 06, 2011, 03:40 PM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

JustWrite

Floppy disks, Zip disks, cassette tapes, tape recorders, encyclopaedias (remember the Encyclopaedia Brittanica?), Atlases, DICTIONARIES...and I hope, hope, hope this will never be so...books (and then of course, bookshelves---).
#203 - January 06, 2011, 09:42 PM

Floppy disks, Zip disks, cassette tapes, tape recorders, encyclopaedias (remember the Encyclopaedia Brittanica?), Atlases, DICTIONARIES...and I hope, hope, hope this will never be so...books (and then of course, bookshelves---).
Ah, tape cassettes.  I ordered an album that could only be purchased on tape.  Where does that leave high-techers of today?
#204 - January 07, 2011, 04:32 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
The end of the world propagada during the end of the 70s in which some predicted the end would come.

Actually, that has always been part of human behavior and probably always will. The current "end date" in vogue is 2012.
#205 - January 08, 2011, 09:22 AM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
On the mimeograph/ditto question:

I, too, always called the aromatic purple sheets "mimeos."

However, one night while watching Cash Cab, the question came up. The passengers answered "mimeographs" and were told that they were wrong, the proper answer was "dittos." Apparently mimeos and dittos were technically two different things, though many of us used the terms interchangeably. Thanks, Cash Cab!
#206 - January 08, 2011, 09:26 AM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Writerjenn,

I remember this one church having all it's members show up to wait out the day.  Also some pretty fatalisitic stuff my mother used to get that I think is like you say similar to the current 2012 end of the world stuff.  Oh, by the way even the Mayans are saying that isn't going to happen.  So go figure.
#207 - January 08, 2011, 09:59 AM
NO MORE GODDESSES:

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I thought of this one the other night while playing with Pandora: Really Cool Album Cover Art.
#208 - January 08, 2011, 10:12 AM

Poster Plus
getting a free glass when you bought gas at the gas station

8-track tapes

a slide rule

life before drive thru McDonald's etc
#209 - January 08, 2011, 11:39 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
a slide rule

Heh--we were watching the movie Apollo 13 a week or two ago, and I chuckled at the part when the flight controllers all whip out their slide rules to figure something out.  It's amazing to think that my kids' calculators today--available at Staples for $35, have more computing power than the moon lander did in 1970.
#210 - January 08, 2011, 11:56 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Members: