SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

For writers over 40...

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Liz--we must be the same age because I remember every single one of those things (except the Chatty Cathy).  I never saw a horse pull a plow on a snow day, but that may be because I was raised in Southern California.

My mother threw out at least two or three large boxes of comic books worth thousands of dollars now.  She also used to have original Walt Disney drawings to give to friends (she worked at Disney studios).  Almost all of it is gone, although I still have two sketches of goofy, I think, just not originals by Walt.

#241 - June 27, 2011, 06:21 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Oh, yes... I had a Tiny Tears and a Chatty Cathy. But my very first doll was a rubber Gerber baby doll. And my favorite was a big, plastic doll that didn't do anything but drink and wet... maybe it was a Betsy Wetsy. I named her Becky Lou.

Does anyone remember Little Kiddles?

One time I was asked to get the milk out of the box on the front porch. One of the glass bottles slipped out of my hands and broke... all over the brand new wall-to-wall carpet my mom was so proud of!

And I remember that school paste very well, as well as the huge barrel of hardened clay kept in the corner of our classroom.
And sniffing the dittos ... mmmmm. :)

#242 - June 27, 2011, 07:54 PM

I loved Little Kiddles. 

It cracks me up to see these teens in their so-called latest fashions.  I wore most of the stuff in the 80s/90s.  Man, I wish I kept my Candies. 
#243 - June 27, 2011, 08:00 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I remember Candies shoes! Ha! I wore a very cute pair of Candies while visiting my big bro in Miami, on a tour at a historical mansion. I thought I was soooo cool strutting around in those shoes, wearing my cool tight jeans. Little did I realize the lack of traction on the soles would be an issue. I pattered behind the tour group, doing my best to keep up the pace until we turned a corner onto a tremendous hallway. The ground being slightly damp caused me to lose my footing and ***BAM!!*** I landed onto my butt--my legs and Candies flying into the air! The impact echoed VERY loudly and the tour group stopped and turned just as my youngest sister belted out a series of snort-laughs which reverberated throughout the ENTIRE place!!! Good times!!  :pickle
#244 - July 06, 2011, 10:40 PM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

Me, too, but I'm over 40.   ;)  I've heard younger folks say they never carry cash, just use their debit or credit cards. 

Christine 
Had to chime on this one for a mo. I was in the shop a few days when a customer in front went to the counter and picked a packet of potato chips and wanted to pay be credit card.  The minimum charge is 5 euro on credit cards and he was reminded of this.  He slammed the crisps on the counter and stormed out.
If you don't have a euro for crisps, then I feel that's bordering on the ridiculous.  You'd probably be charged as much for using the card!
#245 - July 07, 2011, 03:34 AM

Sun In is actually still around and fairly common among my daughter and her friends. They also still sell crazy straws and no, I don't have any idea how you really get those things clean. Blech! Kids don't wear watches because they all have cell phones - same reason I no longer wear one, actually. It was weird at first but my watch battery died and before I got around to replacing it, I'd gotten used to checking my phone for the time.

Some other things I think are gone or on the way out:

Gift Certificates are very rare and are used by small, independently owned businesses only. All chains and even some independently owned places use gift cards now.

Radios are becoming more and more rare as kids use their phones and MP3 players more often to listen to music.

Using a CD for data storage seems very "old school" to my kids. They all have their own flash drives now. That's what they use for school projects, etc. My kids laugh at me because I still use CDs.

Video rental stores are obsolete around here. There are "Red Box" or "Blockbuster" vending machines all over instead. And a lot of families are using Netflix now.

DVD players aren't as common as they used to be because of Netflix and gaming systems that double as DVD players.

Email is not very common among teens anymore. My kids hate that they have to check email for information from colleges, etc. Even some of their high school teachers used texting to communicate with them, which is definitely what they prefer. Checking email is such a hassle for them. If you can message them on Facebook, that's a little better, but if they actually have to log on to their email account, geez, why don't you just make them walk five miles in the snow, uphill to the post office?

Some "old school" things that are in again:

Our Sonic carhops use roller skates again. (well, they're roller blades now)

Vintage clothing is cool with girls (and some guys, esp. if in a band it seems). "Vintage" to them means anything from the 20s to the 80s or inspired by the fashion of those decades.

Photography seems to be really popular with teens (esp. girls) and they don't want to use their phones unless it's just casual, spur-of-the-moment-this-is-going-on-Facebook stuff. In fact, they want what they call "photography cameras," meaning they don't want a small hand-held digital camera; they want an expensive Nikon, Canon, etc. with extra lenses, etc. Black & White photography is really popular.

Tattoos are way more socially acceptable for them and cross more social boundaries than when I was growing up.

Vibrant, unnatural hair colors (pink, purple, green, etc.), which were actually popular in the 80s too, but this generation doesn't see it as a retro thing

Some Things They're Into That Weren't Around (or weren't cool) When I Was Growing Up:

Organic food. Most of them will still eat crap, too, but they do pride themselves on their organic choices when they make them.

Urban art (graffiti) as a valid art form, not something that should be punished. They don't get the whole graffiti being a crime thing unless someone's house or car gets "tagged." If it's not gang symbols, then they don't see the problem with someone spray painting the side of a building at will, especially if it's "good." They see more like some benevolent artist giving back to the community. It enhances the building, not defaces it.

Piercings, which I'm mostly "cool" with (God, how I try) but I'm totally lame when it comes to gauges in the ears because I veto them. Having a problem with kids being able to shove a hula-hoop in their earlobes makes me uncool on the body alteration front, even though I'm okay with a lot of the piercings. If you're down on one form of it, you're pretty much too old and uncool -- an assessment I just have to live with. LOL

#246 - July 07, 2011, 11:34 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
This July 4th, some people were setting off their own fireworks illegally. I remember going to the Firewok stands and my dad picking up a box of fireworks for each Independence Day celebration. We would sit curbside and play with the sparklers twirling them around in the dark. Dad set off the "dangerous" ones in the street or driveway. I guess not everyone can be trusted with them.  :redtape
#247 - July 21, 2011, 07:18 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Veronica

I'm not 40 quite yet, so maybe I don't really qualify here, but I just really get a kick out of the generation gap sometimes.

My kids found an old 110 camera in our new house (left in a closet or something by the previous owners) and came running up to me all excited.  "Mom!  This is a real camera!!  But it takes some kind of really weird-shaped, huge battery..."  When I explained that the "battery compartment" they were looking at was the place where you put the film, my 11-year-old was shocked. "Film?!?  In a camera?!?  How would that even work??"

On the other hand, my daughters and their friends are wearing leg-warmers and leggings with denim skirts along with those fingerless gloves that were so popular with me and my friends back in the 80s...  and they use the same slang ("awesome" "totally") that I used to use.... so maybe the gap isn't as big as I think it is!
#248 - August 09, 2011, 05:29 AM

Myself and John (who is now 40) will be living together 15 years tomorrow and in 1996 (when we decided we would be probably living only a few years with each other) we went to look at a house we could possibly live in, we were astonished to see one of the other residents had a mobile phone.  My epilepsy was quite bad back and I needed the phone for emergency and they refused to install one. It was a shame, because it was a great apartment.  We came disheartened.
But we were more astonishedby the fact that in 1996, an ordinary "joe-soap" possessed a mobile phone.
#249 - August 09, 2011, 05:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
"Film?!?  In a camera?!?  How would that even work??"

:dr

Thanks for the laugh!!
#250 - August 12, 2011, 02:01 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Hi there.  40 in a month--can I join?

I purposefully am raising a "throwback" kid.  We do ice cream trucks and typewriters (she got one for Christmas), and lately, roller skates (the "quad skate" kind--not blades and not metal, but "boot skates" like I used as a kid). 

We do Kool-Aid (she even knows the old commercials where the kids whistle--thanks to this: http://youtu.be/PH1ZcKc4Pc8).  She knows all about The Muppet Show, Fraggles, and similar shows from my childhood.  I've made her watch Lawrence Welk (I know, I'm cruel) and Carol Burnett and the Andy Griffith Show.  Husband has introduced her to terrible 70s superhero cartoons and the brain-melting H.R. Pufnstuf (somebody was puffin' something, that's for sure).  She knows about Bob Hope and Don Knotts and Mama Cass (thanks in part to Scooby Doo!).  She knows the words to old songs, like "When We Were a Couple of Kids" (Can you sing it?).  In third grade, she wrote on her school questionnaire that her hero was Julie Andrews.  You bet I was proud!

She knows all about only having 8 channels (I think we actually have about 6--that's all you can get with no cable connection).  But she knows all about Netflix streaming, too.

She keeps on surprising me with what she doesn't know.  For example, she spotted a undeveloped roll of film on my desk and said "What's that?"  I asked her if she knew what a payphone was and she said yeah--they had one at the museum.

I may be doing my best to raise her "old school," but she and her friends are thoroughly modern kids who text each other and share recommendations for apps, etc.  The other day, she was on Skype with her cousins for an hour.  All the same cousin-giggling and silliness went on that is supposed to go on when close-in-age cousins get together--only they were in different states and were each talking to a camera/screen.  My daughter's was on a phone.

Time goes by, doesn't it?  I partly love it, partly hate it, but no matter how I feel, it just keep going . . .
#251 - August 12, 2011, 02:38 PM

I may be doing my best to raise her "old school," but she and her friends are thoroughly modern kids who text each other and share recommendations for apps, etc.  The other day, she was on Skype with her cousins for an hour.  All the same cousin-giggling and silliness went on that is supposed to go on when close-in-age cousins get together--only they were in different states and were each talking to a camera/screen.  My daughter's was on a phone.

Jaina, I remember going to Epcot center as a kid and they had a "futuristic" video phone on display. It's funny because it was a phone with a cord and this big bulky screen attached to the wall. I still remember that there was a wife talking to her husband who was a mechanic. And yep, we were very impressed! I also remember stretching the phone cord from the kitchen out to the balcony and waving to my friend across the street, who did the same. That was old school video conferencing!

I feel the same way about things changing. Scary but mostly good.

Happy almost birthday!  :cupcake  I'm not quite forty yet either.
#252 - August 13, 2011, 07:37 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

ctmac

I'm 43.  I wrote a book with an opening scene in which a freshman shoots her teacher is the rear with an arrow.  It received rave reviews at writing seminars and DID really happen to me, but I was told archery is no longer taught, so it dated the book.  That book is on hold now while I finish the final draft on an uppermiddle-grade book called Strap Bar on boys' gymnastics.  I'm glad it's releasing this year because the colleges seem to be folding their programs rapidly, and thus, in five years, this sport might be as dated as archery. 
#253 - August 20, 2011, 12:00 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Love this thread. It brings back good memories. (I'm 42.)

What about jacks? When I was 12 or so,  jacks were the game to play.

Clipboards?  Not sure if these are obsolete but I don't see them around as much.  We used them in school all the time.

#254 - August 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Myself and John were walking home last night and started talking about what we did with our pocket money as kids.  The inevitable list of sweets came and by the time we arrived home, we both realised that around 75% of the sweets we mentioned had either been renamed or didn't exist anymore.
I don't know which is worse: the fact we had the conversation in the first place, or that we were both almost saddened at our "loss".  Those sweets tasted nice.
 :taz:  I bought John a tie with this guy sprawled all over it once, I wonder if that cartoon is still shown.
#255 - August 21, 2011, 02:30 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm sure it depends where you live but here in the Houston, Texas area they do still show the original Looney Tunes cartoons including ones with the Tasmanian Devil.  Also the original Looney Tunes including some Tasmanian Devil cartoons have been released on DVDs.  In addition they have released a new set of shows called The Looney Tunes Show which are newly created cartoons with Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig,etc and these also sometimes show Tasmanian Devil.
#256 - August 21, 2011, 06:10 PM

Lil Indigo

Legwarmers. Did they ever make sense?

Banana clips. Do people still wear those? I'm not sure, so not offense if you do. I sure loved them when they were invented. Don't see 'em much anymore though.

DOS? I remember using DOS at work on a computer with no mouse. Just had to tab through everything and use codes. That's when AOL was first coming out.

Crazy straws. How can you clean those things? You can't.

Mix tapes?

This bleach spray you would spray in your hair. I think called "Sun In"?

Crimping irons.

We still use crimpers! (Oops my bad I still have a long way 2 go before I'm over 40)  :oops
#257 - November 21, 2011, 10:21 AM

jeffman

Fun thread.

I remember shoppers smoking in grocery stores. Can you even imagine such a thing today?

Sticking with grocery stores, before there were scanners, there were checkers who had memorized every every single product in the store, including sale items. They worked incredibly fast. My mom assured me they got paid a lot for this skill. I have no idea if this was true or not.
#258 - November 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:49 AM by Jeff Carney »

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Here's one that (at least for me) was a shocker.  I've been looking for a new car to replace my 14-year-old Honda (which my mechanic says still has another ten years in it), and I finally settled on a Honda Fit.  Guess what?  It's impossible to get a stick shift.  Everyone wants automatic so they can keep their hands free for their cells.  Who knew?  (Probably all of you, but I didn't.)

They still make stick shift cars - I know because I bought a Mazda 3 that's a 5-speed. I love driving manual transmission cars! What they need to do is outlaw the use of hand-held cells in cars! I have had way too many near-misses because of someone thinking they can chat up their friends and drive at the same time. Sheesh!

Also - on the vinyl record end of things... lots of indie record labels make 7 inch records (vinyl) and they are pretty popular. Sometimes what goes around comes around! :D
#259 - November 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Lil Indigo -- Thanks for setting me straight. I didn't know crimping irons were back in style! Cool. I used to love those. Since I wrote that post I have also noticed leg warmers are all the rage and I've been seeing crazy straws as well. Go figure. 
#260 - November 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Member.
Poster Plus
Hi, Diana!

My older daughter who's 8 wears leg warmers all the time. They really come in handy on those cold Fall Colorado mornings that turn much warmer later on.
#261 - November 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Why do I suddenly envisage an image of flashdance and fame? I really cringe at the thought.
#262 - November 22, 2011, 06:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Leg warmers are still in down here in South Texas. You wear them with your shorts on days that it is under 70 degrees. They fit nicely over toe socks, a necessary flip-flop accessory for cooler weather.

Seriously saw this in a local restaurant just a few days ago ... shorts, leg warmers, toe socks, flip-flops ... wasn't on a kid or a teen either.
#263 - November 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Tinamarie

Seriously saw this in a local restaurant just a few days ago ... shorts, leg warmers, toe socks, flip-flops ... wasn't on a kid or a teen either.

That image is making my head hurt.  Must lie down now. :ohmy
#264 - November 22, 2011, 11:38 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I saw the socks and flip-flop thing twice on the same day. It was probably around 72 degrees which is downright chilly in these parts.
#265 - November 22, 2011, 12:05 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
I saw the socks and flip-flop thing twice on the same day. It was probably around 72 degrees which is downright chilly in these parts.

I'll take that 72 degrees!

Lots of leg warmers around here, too. Heck, I wear 'em myself! :D
#266 - November 22, 2011, 01:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I don't think it's chilly .. but generally you will see coats and stuff come out when it's about 70. It's sort of a joke to us. We're still in shorts at 70 degrees. Heck, we're still in shorts when it's in the high 50's. Lower than that, and we might break out a pair of jeans. A week or so ago I think it might have been in the mid 60's during the day, and everyone around us was in sweaters and coats all bundled up .. and my son and I were in shorts and he says, "Mom, do you think other people think we look strange?" I hadn't really thought about it.
#267 - November 22, 2011, 02:24 PM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I remember buying a leather belt for my mother while I was on vacation in San Diego in 1990. Since it wasn't very expensive, I decided to pay cash. The sales person looked very confused; she had had very little experience with anything other than credit cards.
#268 - February 04, 2012, 10:17 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

CaroleB

Anyone remember the Omar man? Or have I just dated myself over the edge?

Carole  :shrug:
#269 - February 05, 2012, 07:11 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
 I don't remember the Omar man, maybe he was regional. One of my favorite regional food suppliers was the Chesty Potato Chip guy! Chesty was a boy with a striped shirt & his chest all puffed out. Of course, by the time I hit my teens... well... :ha
#270 - February 05, 2012, 07:29 AM

Members: