SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture books written for adults

Discussion started on

DeirdreK

Not really high Quality...... but 10 little Zombies....A love story.

I LOVE that one.

I also have a collection of improbable picture books.  One of my favorites?  Kafka's "The Bridge" illustrated in the style of Magritte.  Definitely not for kids.  (Also have one by Sylvia Plath, and one by Gertrude Stein....)
#31 - February 03, 2011, 07:28 AM

mcg0625

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka, A. Wolf, and Lane Smith (Illustrator)
#32 - February 03, 2011, 09:03 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
In recent years, there's been too much emphasis on making the vocabulary and humor as child-like as possible.  Nothing wrong with this for the majority of books. 

But picture books can work on two levels--one for the child and one for the adult reading it.  Moreover, there are all kinds of children in the world and some of them like sophisticated humor, even if they don't quite understand it.  Personally, I used to love reading the cartoons in the New Yorker.  It was a window into the world of adults, even though I didn't always "get" them.

CINDER EDNA has some pretty sophisticated one liners.  Hopefully there's also enough child-centered humor to make it work overall.  Seems to be--it's sold really well.  Adults DO buy pbs, and it's also true that children like books better if they see their parent having a good time reading it.

#33 - February 03, 2011, 09:52 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
New!
Sorry so late to this discussion.  There are many books from my childhood I did not get.  I get them now.  They made an impression none the less.  Enouph of an impression to remember them as an adult.  Enouph of an impression to say now I get it.

:typing
#34 - February 20, 2011, 05:25 AM
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:49 PM by jojocookie »
Word-Painting.webs.com
jjmoore4.wixsite.com/thegroup

I'm with Betsy. I love pbs that have sophisticated humor and are fun to read. My kids connected to them too and loved to see me laugh. That in itself is a bonding experience. ;)
#35 - February 20, 2011, 06:23 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz

But picture books can work on two levels--one for the child and one for the adult reading it. 

Many PBs by Shaun Tan are like this. (Yay Shaun - good luck for the Oscar!)
#36 - February 20, 2011, 01:22 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Members: