SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Advice on Subbing a Fiction Piece to a Mostly NF Mag

Discussion started on

shoniker

I am new to the magazine market.  In fact, this is the first piece I have written and am still trying to figure out if I should submit it.  It is a quirky piece for Odyssey which is a mostly NF science magazine (although they do include some fiction).  If my fictional character says things like, "scientists have debated..." do I need to include those facts from my research or just include a bibliography with my sub?  For a fiction piece, how extensive of a bibliography would I need to have? 

If any experienced magazine writers would like to give a girl a quick crit, that would be great too.  The deadline is looming and I need to decide,
scrap or submit?
 :garbage:   :mailed:
#1 - January 12, 2011, 07:27 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Shoniker, Beth will typically run only one fiction piece per issue in Odyssey so it's a pretty hard sell, but since you've already written the story, go for it. For the fiction I wrote for Ody, I never included any bibliography because most of the facts were well-known ... but if you have one, it's not going to hurt. Remember that story comes first -- make sure there's a good conflict and resolution. And that the dialogue is natural.

When is the deadline? I'll be happy to take a quick look. You can email me via my website.
Vijaya
#2 - January 12, 2011, 08:14 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

shoniker

:yourock
Vijaya
I sent you an email!  Thanks so much for your advice... so much learning to do!
#3 - January 12, 2011, 08:48 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
When submitting fiction to magazines like ODYSSEY or FACES, is it necessary to query first? Or should you send your full story?
#4 - January 22, 2011, 10:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Usually you query first for those mags - they all have their guidelines here:
http://www.cobblestonepub.com/guides_editorial.html

But since you have the whole thing written, it probably wouldn't hurt to just send it. I think most of them ask for a sample for writers new to them, so you'd be accomplishing two things at once that way!
#5 - January 22, 2011, 11:15 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
For fiction, you'd want to send the complete manuscript.
Good luck.
Vijaya
#6 - January 22, 2011, 03:49 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks!
#7 - January 22, 2011, 06:28 PM