SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

FURY OF THE PHOENIX by Cindy Pon

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I was lucky enough to win an ARC of FURY in the Blueboarders' contest, and now that I've finished it, I feel even luckier. :hurrah

I hadn't read Silver Phoenix yet when I won, so I rushed off to grab a copy at my library, and polished it off in a couple of days, thrilled that I would soon have the ARC of the sequel in front of me.

I'm happy to report that the sequel did not disappoint, which - as most writers know - is no small task. I was immediately sucked in to the action and adventure in the very first scene, and had a hard time putting it down at the end of the day (my husband actually snapped a picture of me slumped over it where I fell asleep in the middle of the night!).

Ai Ling is as likable and courageous as in the first book, and Chen Yong is about as intriguing a love interest as you can find. Ah, but those darn roadblocks that keep getting thrown in their path! The suspense had me turning pages like mad. There are some new equally interesting characters, especially Peng, and a resolution to many of the unanswered questions from Silver Phoenix.

I have to admit that at first I wasn't sure about the dual POV with Zhong Ye, Ai Ling's archenemy of Silver Phoenix, because of what happened to him at the end of SP (no spoilers here). But as I was getting to the point when I actually cared about him as a character too, in spite of what I know about him, the stories become so closely linked that it would've lacked some of its greatest tension without him the way he was here.

Also without spoilers, I found it to be the perfect ending.

Kudos to Cindy on an excellent sequel!

#1 - January 13, 2011, 02:02 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I liked SILVER PHOENIX very much, but having just read FURY OF THE PHOENIX, I find myself thinking that FURY is the complex fugue for which SILVER PHOENIX was the lovely prelude.  Everything's deeper and more complicated in FURY OF THE PHOENIX, and I was sucked into both of the novel's twining stories.  Great job, Cindy!
 :hearts :hearts :hearts
#2 - January 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Members: