SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hi all, i'm a new illustrator here

Discussion started on

laureduthe

Hello,
i'm new in the field of children's book illustration (and of art and illustration in general)
i know a have lots of things to learn, and i aim to push my work as far as possible
i found this board where people share so much, i'm very glad to be with you.

i just have a few illustrations for the moment, but i would be very happy if you could give a little opinion
http://laureduthe.ultra-book.com/portfolio

I'm french, please forgive my english :)
#1 - January 17, 2011, 07:30 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Welcome!! Bienvenue!!  :welcome

Your illustrations are lovely!!
#2 - January 17, 2011, 10:29 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

laureduthe

Thank you Artemesia !
#3 - January 18, 2011, 02:14 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Very nice illustration- you have a unique stiyle and many are very vibrant and show a lot of action!
I am guessing you are French- and internationally working in illustration is possible- just takes some extra work- you might want to expore illustration in the UK also  which is very active- not sure sources for other European countries-
I have seen some international ilustrators who on their entrance page- have two choices for their websites- French and then English- for example
you need way more illustraitons up- what you got is great- at least 15 +
there are many how tos- about illustration by searching the boards and the internet-
I think Society of Children's Writers and Illustrators has chapters in Europe and Canada- great resources-

Which markets you want to approach and where they are located is something you will have to decide- or dually print promotional postcards and do your website in both English and French-
but of course- educating yourself and having a killer portfolio is step #1 and looks like you are on your way!
#4 - January 18, 2011, 08:43 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
Welcome! So happy that you found the blue board! I love the vareity of your illustrations (my favorite is the snowman v the snails)

I'm not an illustrator -but I have advice.

There is a very active SCBWI chapter in France (www.scbwi.org) and if you live in France you are close to Bologna, Italy  - there are a lot of illustrator events at the Bologna Children's Book Fair.

-Angela
scbwi assistant international advisor
scbwi showcase 2012 co-organizer
#5 - January 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Just wanted to add my WELCOME too! Your illustrations look gorgeous! My favourite is the little girl with the dragon. Beautiful!

If you're looking for detailed critiques, though, you could ask to see if other illustrators are interested in swapping critiques, and as Angela wisely says, joining the SCBWI would be a really great way to find people doing similar things to you.

Good luck!
#6 - January 18, 2011, 11:08 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Welcome! You have a beautiful web site. Nice pictures.
#7 - January 18, 2011, 12:49 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

laureduthe

Thank you all for your nice welcome

Angela and Franzilla, thank you for telling me about the scbwi. What do you mean by "There is a very active SCBWI chapter in France" ?
Is the forum of scbwi like this one (where there is already a lot of useful informations) ? Is there a critic group ?

I think i will register when i'll have more illustrations in my book.
Julia K, thank you for your advices, you're very right, i need to show more drawings. And therefore i must develop more my skills, and i'm working hard at it.
This does'nt look yet in my drawings,
but i'm found of the illustrators of the golden age (dulac, doré, tenniel, rackham, etc...) and the contemporary illustrators i like more are those who combine some detailed but clear and skillfull drawings. (David Wiesner, paul Zelinsky, Maggie kneen, etc...)
Seems like today the majority of illustrations tend to be very simplified with very flashy colours. It's not that i don't like it, some are very well adapted to the stories, but there is a lot, a lot, a lot. I would like more diversity, and looks like the quality i'd like to obtain one day would seem old fashioned... but maybe i'm wrong !
 so i'll keep trying hard to do what i like  :)

ps : Lyon, thank you !
#8 - January 19, 2011, 12:17 AM
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:22 AM by laureduthe »

Oh, I love the one with the girl sleeping on the clockface! It makes me want to write a steampunk picturebook to go with the illustrations. Those are just beautiful!!
Welcome!!

And I don't know specifically about the SCBWI chapter in France, but I know here in Seattle they have actual classes and meetings in person and a regional conference. So there are things that go on "in real life" to help you learn and grow. Though, personally, I love learning from this board. :)
#9 - January 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
Robin

ladylind

Welcome to the club laureduthe!  You're in good company here and well on your way with your portfolio. 

What a ferocious snowman!  The perspective from the bottom along with the stick hands are perfectly ominous.  Good luck.
I look forward to seeing more artwork.
#10 - January 19, 2011, 09:11 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
Welcome laureduthe . I'm feeling the snowman love too. It's definitely a piece that evokes emotion.  With the website, quality over quantity, and you're certainly on the right path.

Happy Creating!
#11 - January 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

laureduthe

thank you mysteryrobin, ladylind and cynthia  :thankyou
#12 - January 22, 2011, 12:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
Hi,
I saw your question about France - in addition to their newsgroup, they have meetings, illustrations days where they meet and go draw and then meet again, planning a skype technology talk, and just had a conference in December.

https://www.scbwi.org/Regional-Chapters.aspx?R=55

#13 - January 22, 2011, 03:34 AM
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I''m a little late to the welcoming party. Glad you found the blueboards. This is a great place with a ton of helpful people. You've got a fun style with great color. Keep on doing what you love. That is the key.

Traci
#14 - February 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Welcome aboard! Best of luck to you and breaking into the industry. You are well on your way!!!  :frog:
#15 - February 26, 2011, 05:33 PM

laureduthe

thank you tracy and wilson

i have updated a little my portfolio,
althought there are stuffs a have to color, it would help me to have your feedbacks on my work.
thank you
http://laureduthe.ultra-book.com/portfolio
#16 - July 06, 2011, 01:38 AM

Welcome.  I loved your illustrations especially Mission Impossible and Vilain Dragon.  They all show a great deal of talent.  Beautiful work.  As mentioned if you are going to try for work among English speaking countries you will have to offer an English language option when you enter the site or double caption everything in French and English.  And when you join scbwi their discussion board has an illustrator's Corner section that might be helpful to you.  I couldn't read your News section since I don't read French, what news do you have posted?
#17 - July 06, 2011, 10:51 PM

Also on this board if you haven't stumbled across it yet a few threads down is a list of illustrator agents when you are ready for that step.
#18 - July 06, 2011, 10:53 PM

Members: