SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How to describe the effort required to write a PB?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Or that maybe when one of us gets REALLY famous, we can just write a one-word picture book and call it 'art'?!  :hiding
#61 - January 28, 2011, 12:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Siski tell him you only have seconds to capture and hold a kindergartner's attention before they start trying to wrestle with the person next to them. Or before they yell out 'this is boring!'.  :biggrin:

That takes a LOT of work.  When I choose a book to read to my class, I know by page one if it will be a winner.
#62 - January 28, 2011, 01:03 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Actually, that's a bloomin' good idea, Shanny. Especially because this guy's kids have seriously itchy bottoms. Just as long as he doesn't ask me to 'test' one of my no-illustrations-yet MS on them!!!
#63 - January 28, 2011, 08:45 PM

Siski tell him you only have seconds to capture and hold a kindergartner's attention before they start trying to wrestle with the person next to them. Or before they yell out 'this is boring!'.  :biggrin:

That takes a LOT of work.  When I choose a book to read to my class, I know by page one if it will be a winner.
:yup
That's why I gave up!  And probably why I am so self-conscious about my writing.  I think it's incredible hard to keep their attention if they think it's boring, but at least they are more honest than most other readers.
Or that  :horse: maybe when one of us gets REALLY famous, we can just write a one-word picture book and call it 'art'?!  :hiding
:clap:  That would be a true miracle!  I bet it's been tried.
#64 - January 29, 2011, 03:51 AM

Members: