SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Geez or Jeez?

Discussion started on

Jeez or Geez, or does it matter?    :bellydancer  (look, we have a belly dancer! Who knew?)
#1 - January 28, 2011, 04:11 PM
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:13 PM by CC »
OPEN COURT, Knopf

I always do Geez. And I know it's often spelled that way in books b/c my daughter pronounced with a hard G till I corrected her. ;)
#2 - January 28, 2011, 04:20 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I always use Geez as well.  To me, this spelling looks more like the word is a shortened form of gee whiz.  The other spelling looks more like it's a shortened form of Jesus.  So for that reason I'm more comfortable with Geez.
#3 - January 28, 2011, 04:35 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I always use Geez as well.  To me, this spelling looks more like the word is a shortened form of gee whiz.  The other spelling looks more like it's a shortened form of Jesus.  So for that reason I'm more comfortable with Geez.

Way-yull, gee whiz is a variation of Jesus (to get around the taking the name of the Lord in vain bit) just as gosh darn is the same as something I don't think the filter will let me say on here.  FWIW.
#4 - January 28, 2011, 05:12 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
You beat me to it, Anne Marie.  Except you were more elegant about it. :yup

Use whichever one you like--I expect the copywriter will change it if it needs changing to conform to house style.
#5 - January 28, 2011, 05:27 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Way-yull, gee whiz is a variation of Jesus

I realize that, but it just feels more removed from that.  To me, any way.
#6 - January 28, 2011, 06:02 PM

agentpaper

Way-yull, gee whiz is a variation of Jesus (to get around the taking the name of the Lord in vain bit) just as gosh darn is the same as something I don't think the filter will let me say on here.  FWIW.

Really?!  I did not know that.  You learn something new everyday.   :thanks2
#7 - January 28, 2011, 07:01 PM

I always do Geez because when I looked it up in the dictionary it said that it was slang for Gee Whiz which seemed more MG to me. I've seen it both ways in published MG books.
#8 - January 29, 2011, 06:10 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

MaryWitzl

Either one of these got my mouth washed out with soap. 

I've got great (Catholic) friends who happily say, "Jesus!" or "Hey-SOOS", or "Jaysus, Joseph, and Mary!" without flinching. I slip up on this and wait for lightning.
#9 - January 29, 2011, 07:03 AM

You guys crack me up. Okay, Geez it is...  :thankyou

Use whichever one you like--I expect the copywriter will change it if it needs changing to conform to house style.

Isn't it sweet of Marissa to assume I'll actually sell anything ever again! Ha! :inbox:

I've got great (Catholic) friends who happily say, "Jesus!" or "Hey-SOOS", or "Jaysus, Joseph, and Mary!" without flinching.

:curtsy: I always laugh if I hear someone say, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" I didn't realize it's considered a curse word/phrase? How come? Is it like saying, "Oh my God," or something?
#10 - January 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

MaryWitzl

The way my friends have explained it, they're not using the names disrespectfully, they're calling on the saints for patience and strength. I sometimes use them myself -- but I can still remember the taste of the soap.
#11 - January 29, 2011, 12:07 PM

The way my friends have explained it, they're not using the names disrespectfully, they're calling on the saints for patience and strength.

Ahh, gotcha!
#12 - January 29, 2011, 03:15 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

kathym44

I use "Geez".  Too weird... just a few minutes ago I said "Geez Louise" as I was struggling to see over the mountains of snow banks while pulling out of the driveway.  Then I thought... "Geeze Louise"... that sounds like a catchy title for  a picture book.  Hey, maybe it's a sign!  :detective:
#13 - January 29, 2011, 05:29 PM

Members: